Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Higher bars on an Ultra/Limited

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016 | 07:51 PM
usaf8ret
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by lp
That thread applies to Limiteds.

Anyway, what year? SBates was right about there being a difference in what is possible depending on year.

Not all aftermarket bars accept stock Harley heated grips.
There ya go! So which bars DO accept HD OEM heated grips? I'm not sure years matter. Inside diameter I'm sure matters. Do you know for a fact who makes 1 1/4 bagger apes that WILL accept the stock heated grips. That would be huge help.

James

Old 02-19-2016 | 08:02 PM
skyflyer
Road Captain

Khrome Werks 2+2 narrow sweepers, Harley wire kit nothing else changed or added

Old 02-19-2016 | 08:43 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by usaf8ret
There ya go! So which bars DO accept HD OEM heated grips? I'm not sure years matter. Inside diameter I'm sure matters. Do you know for a fact who makes 1 1/4 bagger apes that WILL accept the stock heated grips. That would be huge help.

James
Some have reported issues using heated grips on a number of bars. Since there are so many bars out there, just find a model/brand you like the look and dimensions of and do the research. Someone will have no doubt tried them with stock heated grips. Wild1 specifically advertises that their bars are heated grip compliant for example. That thread that I pointed to has many users showing what bar they used, what length cables/lines they used, the length control wire extension - if any - used, and in some cases, if their heated grips were affected.

"What year"... is another matter not related to heated grips.
2013 and below Limiteds had a mess load of control wires (like 8-12 per side), a throttle by wire harness (2008+) and they are typically too short to wire internally on any bar higher than 10-12" without either moving the harness location or using a wire extension kit. In any case they are a pain to wire internally because of the girth of the entire harness (many wires).
These bikes also have a short brake line and short clutch cable, so using any bar other than say WO575 or Kromewerks sweepers (neither apes) will require a longer clutch cable and longer brake top line kit.

2014+ Limiteds use CANBUS wiring (only two wires per side), a throttle harness, and a heated grip harness all of which are much easier to run through aftermarket bars. Their so-so short length still require an extension kit typically for the control wires; however, the throttle wires, brake line, and clutch hydraulic line are typically long enough for up to 12" apes.

The previous advice to do things once and not try to do this on a budget still stands. Nothing like getting into a 300-1000 dollar bar change and find you hate the bars or wanted to go higher. More than a few people have bought bars that are shorter just so they can avoid having to buy a bunch of lines/cables and wiring kit, etc just to later find the bars are too low. Then it takes another 500-600 bucks just to move up to 12/14" bars...

Old 11-14-2021 | 10:43 AM
IowaADV
6th Gear

Mounted KST Kustoms Spearhead bars on my 2021 RKS. Having a tough time getting that fat, stiff clutch cable under the nacelle and up the bar. Does anyone have pics of the cable routing, with the nacelle and top piece mounted? Help would be much appreciated.

Old 11-14-2021 | 11:52 AM
Ultra103
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by IowaADV
Mounted KST Kustoms Spearhead bars on my 2021 RKS. Having a tough time getting that fat, stiff clutch cable under the nacelle and up the bar. Does anyone have pics of the cable routing, with the nacelle and top piece mounted? Help would be much appreciated.
Welcome to the forum. It's often easier to get replies if you'll start a new thread, this one has been dead for 5 years or so.

Old 11-14-2021 | 04:22 PM
IowaADV
6th Gear

Thanks for the welcome and advice.