Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Windshield Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Elder51
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Windshield Question?

Thanks for the quick and GREAT answers.... Learned a lot... going to try stock and also look into the after-market shields many mentioned.

GREAT FORUM!!!! Happy here already

I'm new to H-D (take delivery on 5/25)but have riden Wings for YEARS.....
My question is to 6'+ riders.... I'm 6' 3" and have a tall shield on the Wing.... Should I:
1) try the stock shield and see if the coverage is OK
2) get the tall shield now and save the fuss
Thanks

Frank (Elder51)

Old 05-12-2007, 04:31 PM
lschultz
Road Master
Default RE: Ultra Windshield Question?

I ain't quiet that tall so I can not answer. But I and son put Clearview's on ours and much a better than stock.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:39 PM
xmtrsrg
Road Captain

I'm 6'4", I would check the stock one first, as the windshield on the Ultra sits closer to you then you Wing's did. Good luck & congrat on the new ride!

Old 05-12-2007, 04:40 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

I'm 6' and the stock shield is a little tall for me on the Ultra. I guess it depends on how you like it. I personally like to look over the top of the wind shield. I can stretch and see over the stock one but I'm considering a 10". I think if I were you I would try the standard 12" first and then choose.

FD

Old 05-12-2007, 04:42 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master

I'm 6' even, and the top edge of the stock batwing shield was right in my line of sight. I was either trying to sit up straight to see over it all the time, or slouch to see thru it. Neither is desireable. I got on ebay, typed in "FLHT WINDSHIELD" as a search phrase. You'll be amazed how many different guys out there are selling CNC cut shields in dark smoke, light smoke and even different colors. I paid $38 delivered for light smoked lexan shields that fit perfect and cost a third of what HD sells theirs for.
It really boils down to what you prefer, being an ex-winger, I suspect you've been looking thru your windshield for years. Me, I can't stand that, and bought the height that allowed me to look over it without getting wind shear on my helmet. Sure, I catch a bug now and then, and the risk of a rock is there, but I've got a clear view of the open road now, and that's the way I like it.
It sound like you want to look thru it, and at 6'3", I'm guessing that you'll be looking over the stock shield just slightly. Try it first, then go taller if you need to.
Welcome to Harleys!
EGK

Old 05-12-2007, 04:45 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I would wait and see first. Why spend any $$ unneccessarily(sp?). It also depends on whether or not you prefer to look through your windsheild or over it. Personally I like to look over mine, never did like hiding behind it. Never cared for the distortion or light refraction (how's that for a big word[8D]). I run with a Cee Baileys SSC windsheild.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:47 PM
robbitybob
Advanced

Try it! I had a Tulsa on my last wing and I found my stock 12" to be just fine. BTW 'm 6'2"

Old 05-12-2007, 06:22 PM
blmoore20
Cruiser

I too am 6'3 with a new Ultra and IMHO the stock windshield drove me NUTS!

The top of the windshield was right at eye level. It would cut the car ahead of me in half.

Iinstalled the HD 9" light smoke and it is perfect. A slight bit more wind on the top of my head but hey, it's a motorcycle.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Hogtoad
Cruiser

I'm 6' and the stock sheild on my ultra was a little tall, so I figured the height I wanted and cut the thing down to where I wanted it. A jigsaw and a beltsander, just like new.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22834/6A32BD723CDB48238528AFC9B870F924.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on your new Electra Glide, it's a classy bike... Let us know how you like it. Mine's an '05 and my dad just got the new '07 in December and he's tickled pink with it.

Just trythe stockwindshield first of course and see how it is... I personally also like to look OVER it myself, cuz in fog or light rain you're blinded by the windscreen being all misted up. I like it even with my chin when seated on the bike.I get a little wind, but like the poster said above - it's a motorcycle!

Quick Reply: Ultra Windshield Question?