Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Windshield Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 06:42 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Ultra Windshield Question?

I'm 6'0" and I must have a little taller torso. I look above the shield actually (unless I feel like slouching). If I want to look within 20ft of where I'm riding I end up looking a little through the shield, however I am usually looking a little further ahead than that and so I'm completely looking above the shield itself.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:20 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6-02 and I like my stock windshield. Give the stock one a try, ya might wind up saving a bunch of $$$.

John

Old 05-12-2007, 08:43 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you got the gist from all the responses. unlike the Wing, the H-D bat fairing and wind screen are designed for the driver to be looking over the top of the windshield, not through it. The flow of the air generally pushes the wind over your head. on the other hand, if running in a driving rain you will need to scrunch down a bit and look through the windshield.

lke others have said, ride and see. almost everyone goes with a shorter windshield than the stock 12". I have cut my stock screen down twice getting it where it needed to be.once it getsscratched or trashed I now know exactly what height shield I will need. I am particularly impressed with the Clearview recurve shield and will buy one when it;s time. Right now my line of sight is about 1.5 inches above the top of the windshield. when running you can find the height where the wind is following over or around your head buy moving your free hand aorund your head. mine is flowing just above the helmet. I do however suspect Grandma is directly in the flow, but she ain't complaining, so I'll keep lookinhg over the top.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:10 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

uh....there IS a way to get the full-face protection if you want it. Allen (Tulsa Enterprises) makes a windshieldfor the Ultra - standard, tall, vent/no vent, clear/light tint. Me, ah went with the tall, tinted & vented.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19857/01B024C1EF2D4ED9843FCF13B6C6024E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2007, 11:25 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here as TexasRedNeck.

Check this out: http://www.tulsaenterprises.com/wind...s.html#hdsport

Old 05-13-2007, 01:17 AM
kpb46
Road Master

6'5" here. Had a tulsa on my 88 wing HATED IT. Left the stock W/S on my 02 wing and could see over it LOVED IT. I too have an ultra ordered and have sat on a few. It feels like the stock W/S it right at that point that I can just see over it. Suspect that there may be a shorter one in my future

Old 05-13-2007, 09:14 AM
alqaadir
Tourer

6' 2" and stock wind shield works find for me. I would wait and see for yourself. That moneycould come it handy elsewhere. Like more horses or chrome.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:22 AM
ricaroo
Tourer

I am 5' 10" and the stock is to high for me, I want to look over the windshield. I ended up with an 8" clearview shield with the re curve. It works the best for me, its a great windshield.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Basz
Road Master

I'm 6'4" and I have a 8" Fastaire sheild - I am very happy with it.
Obviously, I see right over it and catch a bug or three. It does seem to push most the wind up and over my head.

Just for shix and giggles I think I might order the 9.5 recurve from ClearView.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:26 AM
stsltd
Advanced

Would agree with others to wait and ride your bike for a while and see if you really need to change (need?)

With that said - I have two Cleaview shields, a 9.5 with recurve I use in the summer and a stock height with recurve in the winter - really like the shorter one but when the temps drop below 40, the stock with recurve is really nice

just something to consider

Quick Reply: Ultra Windshield Question?