Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Pain w/ TourPak on Electra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:58 AM
leond
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Pain w/ TourPak on Electra Classic

My wife and I went for our first ride on our '07 Electra Classic. The bike is stock. After the ride, she said she was very comfortable except for the vibration she felt thru the TourPak's backrest. Above 3000 rpms everything was fine. But below 3000 rpms, she said it was actually painful.

Now I don't know if her back is hyper sensitive or if there's an issue I need to address with the bike / TourPak. I did a search and couldn't find anyone else with this problem. Has anyone else experienced this or have any solutions?

Also, looking thru the service manual, I noticed a section on Passenger Backrest / Rubber Isolators. It implied they are only on the Ultra. Does anyone know if the isolators are only on the Ultra and if they improve comfort?

Thanks,
LeonD

Old 05-12-2007, 09:55 AM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Passenger Pain w/ TourPak on Electra Classic

I have an Ultra and my wife has actually fallin' asleep on the back just prior to having her *** ripped for not paying attention .

Old 05-12-2007, 10:21 AM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a07 flhtc. My wife is so comfortable, she has almost fallen asleep, too. If you have an 07, try 6th gear. My rpms, at 70, are around 2400.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Doc
Cruiser

There are some 07 Classics that been known to have vibration problems. If I were you, take it back and ask them to check the engine allignment, and exhaust. Mis-allignment will make your teeth shake. This is a known problem. The only vibration you (or your wife) should feel is at idle or slightly above. You deffently shouldn't have to get above 3000 rpm. You spent big bucks for your Classic. Get the dealer to make it right. Don't settle for less.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:38 AM
UltraDave
Road Captain

On our Ultra, my bride says it's very comfortable. So much so, that I hear her yawning through the intercom. Been thinking about looking for a seat belt for her in case she falls asleep... LOL.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife, who normally rides her own bike, has been riding on the back of my EG Classic lately due to having minor surgery. She has commented on how comfortable the rear seat & backrest are and how much she likes the vibes the rubber-mounted engine of the Electra Glide has at idle & low rpm compared to her Softail Custom with its counter-balanced engine. (Counter-balanced engines = [:'(] to me!)
As the others mentioned, it's easy for a passenger to fall asleep on one of these bikes, so I think that either your wife's back is a bit sensitive or maybe the Tour Pack is loose or something.

Have you checked to make sure all the mounting hardware for the trunk is secure? It normally shakes a bit at idle but with the bike turned off you shouldn't be able to move it. If all is tight, you can consider a different trunk backrest pad or taking yours to an upholstery shop & having it modified to be more comfortable...

Old 05-12-2007, 10:39 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hummm,.... Well my wife loves the comfort of our 07 Ultra. We bought the bike new and had a stage II 103" kit installed a couple of weeks later by the dealerwhen the parts arrived and me and the wife have noticed a lil more vibration than what was present when it was stock but its only at idle and goes away at any speed. She still loves the ride and feel. I just asked the wife her opinion on your question and she said she couldnt feel any vibration at all when the bike was stock,....so maybe you should have the dealer look it over really good for anything that might be loose.

John

Old 05-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doc

The only vibration you (or your wife) should feel is at idle or slightly above. You deffently shouldn't have to get above 3000 rpm.
This is very true.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Dogs of war
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: davewalczak

On our Ultra, my bride says it's very comfortable. So much so, that I hear her yawning through the intercom. Been thinking about looking for a seat belt for her in case she falls asleep... LOL.
Bungy Cord!

Old 05-12-2007, 01:22 PM
leond
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies.

I just had the bike in to the dealer this morning. Since I first got it (one week ago), the air shock in the back has never held air. It was leaking at the "T" on the rear fender. When I was there, I mentioned the vibration on the trunk. They said they would check the trunk mounts and tighten everything down.

Well first of all, air in the back is HUGE! I've been riding with zero psi in the rear for the last week. Now it has twenty psi. The bike literally glides. Before, I had a feeling like my front forks were loose; not enough fluid. Now they are perfect. It's a long shot but maybe this has something to do with the trunk vibration (I'm kinda grasping at straws here). They also said the trunk was tight.

So we'll both go for a ride later today. I'll let you know if it made any difference. If it doesn't, I'll have the bike back in a couple of weeks for the thousand mile tune up. I'll have them check the engine alignment and other possible vibration related things.

Thanks again,
LeonD

Quick Reply: Passenger Pain w/ TourPak on Electra Classic