Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC III w/SE slip ons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007 | 03:16 AM
The Pawnbroker
|
Road Captain
Default PC III w/SE slip ons?

Any benefit to adding a PC III when I am running the SE touring slip ons? I went to a local indy shop to have a PC III installed and they didn't even want to sell me the PC III because they told me that the SE slip ons were too restrictive. They told me that I wouldn't see any more power that would be noticeable. They suggested a set of true duals or at least a pair of V&H or Reinheart slip ons. Like they said, "we'd be glad to take your money for the PC III, but you won't be happy". It's just that I recently bought the SE slip ons and like the sound. Does this sound correct? Anyone have the SE touring slip ons and add the PCIII? Did you get any increase in power? I am looking for mainly as much low end torque as possible.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 05-12-2007 | 05:00 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Default RE: PC III w/SE slip ons?

ORIGINAL: The Pawnbroker

Any benefit to adding a PC III when I am running the SE touring slip ons? I went to a local indy shop to have a PC III installed and they didn't even want to sell me the PC III because they told me that the SE slip ons were too restrictive. They told me that I wouldn't see any more power that would be noticeable. They suggested a set of true duals or at least a pair of V&H or Reinheart slip ons. Like they said, "we'd be glad to take your money for the PC III, but you won't be happy". It's just that I recently bought the SE slip ons and like the sound. Does this sound correct? Anyone have the SE touring slip ons and add the PCIII? Did you get any increase in power? I am looking for mainly as much low end torque as possible.

Thanks,

Dave
Baggers magazine did a comparison and listed the SE slip ons as the tops in the gain market for slip on mufflers. They were also quietest. Loud does not equal gain, at least in the ranges most people operate their Harleys. I talked to the Supertrapp tech and he said you don't need to modify the ECM settings when installing the SE slip ons, so your Indy dealer is probably right there. You could argue that the SE slipons will be better than the other models they mentioned and certainly better than true duals which are not going to be as efficient across the power band. If you change out your air cleaner to a more efficient filter, you probably will need a PC III or similar in order to richen the mixture.

Old 05-13-2007 | 02:37 AM
The Pawnbroker
|
Road Captain

Sorry I didn't include more info. As I told them, I have the SE slip ons, the high capacity A/C and the HD ECM download already. Basically I've done a stage one. I still would like some additional torque. I really like low end grunt. That's why I thought adding a PC III would be the next upgrade. I realize that it negates the ECM download I just paid for ($150) because the PC III replaces that programing

Thanks for any input,

Dave.

Old 05-13-2007 | 02:37 AM
alexcue
Road Master

i'm having the PCIII installed as i write this. I have the SE Slip-ons, with the SE A/C and Stage 1 Download. I still think it runs too lean at the lower rpms. Want to richen it a litte at the higher RPMs, also. I'm also hoping that the pinging gets reduced. Seems as it's gotten hotter here, the pinging has really started.

Old 05-13-2007 | 02:42 AM
The Pawnbroker
|
Road Captain

alexcue,

Who told you that it would make any difference with the SE slip ons? I have the exact same set up you do! I went to a well know indy and they told me no go. I would be disappointed. The more I think about it, the more I think they may be wrong. I stood there and asked them again if I was not understanding what they were saying because it just didn't make any sense to me.

Old 05-13-2007 | 02:43 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior

Rush makes a very good muffler that has nice power and torque gains. I have the 1.75's which they claim are quiet but they got a nice bark and rumble like a V-8. I love em. http://www.epiflex.com/rush_touring.html scroll down and you can listen to em.

Old 05-13-2007 | 03:07 AM
alexcue
Road Master

my indie told me, it should help. The Stage 1 is still an EPA compliant d/l.

btw, someone here posted a dyno sheet of our similar setup. What struck me was how lean it was at the lower (under 3000), rpms. Even at higher rpms, it was still not an ideal ratio. If it helps the heat issue, and gives me a bit more power it will have been worth it.

Old 05-13-2007 | 03:15 AM
RBJones
Tourer

ORIGINAL: The Pawnbroker

Sorry I didn't include more info. As I told them, I have the SE slip ons, the high capacity A/C and the HD ECM download already. Basically I've done a stage one. I still would like some additional torque. I really like low end grunt. That's why I thought adding a PC III would be the next upgrade. I realize that it negates the ECM download I just paid for ($150) because the PC III replaces that programing

Thanks for any input,

Dave.
Since you've got the Stage 1 download, you're probably in the ballpark already and a Power Commander would be a waste of money in my opinion. ONly if you get more radical with your engine would you need the extra tweaking a power commander or other similar device would give you. The PC isn't going to give you any more low end grunt than you have now. YOu may be able to get the bike to run a little cooler by richening the mixture at certain rpm stages. If you want grunt, the easiest thing is to install cams like the Andrews 21, which will add a noticeable amount of torque at lower rpms beginning about 1700. It will idle rougher due to the increased cranking pressure created as the cams close the intake valves earlier. Higher cranking pressure = more torque. I installed the 21N cams in my 05 and you can really feel the difference, especially two- and loaded for touring. I don't need to downshift as much in the mountains or in traffic and roll ons are strong from 50 mph in 5th.

The other option in addition to or instead of the cam is to increase your displacement by going to bigger cylinders and pistons. In that case you'd probably want an Andrews 26 cam or similar grind to give you lots of torque down low. As you can guess, now you're starting to talk real money.

Old 05-13-2007 | 03:50 AM
The Pawnbroker
|
Road Captain

alexcue,
Are you changing your exhaust? That is what they told me was the problem. Also, please let us know if you notice any difference with the addition of the PC. I thought because the download was EPA compliant, I would be able to get a noticeable difference going to the PC.

RBJones,
Thanks for the input. Do you know if the cam change on a 96 makes as much of a difference as with yours?

Thanks again,

Dave.

Old 05-13-2007 | 06:46 AM
skateboard
Road Warrior

i have a 06 electraglide classic withse touring slipons,kuryakyn skull air cleaner and the pc111.Jamie just dyno tuned it friday and got 76.24 hp and 78.03 max torque.the map he sent with the pc111 was off alittle bit but not bad,i gained 4 hp and 2 ft-lbs of torque.

Quick Reply: PC III w/SE slip ons?