Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laced wheel, flat tire & Fix-a-flat

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 05:51 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Laced wheel, flat tire & Fix-a-flat

Fix a flat should work the same inside a tube as it does inside a tubeless tire to some degree, but its nowhere near as good or safe as a plug. I would not hesitate to finish a 1000 mile trip on a good plug job.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:03 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also speak from experience. when you're out in the middle of nowhere, regardless of what some folks think, using a can of fix-o-flat and getting to somewhere where you can have a new tube/tire replaced beats humping it on foot. especialy out west, cell phone coverage to call AAA or HOG ain't a sure thing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/5AC3797919D7495FBAED89BF2D5C9711.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Irish64
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an 07 UC and had to have the laced wheels after having them on my RK. My sales-guy tried like hell to talk me out of it based on what everyone is discussing right here.

He failed. I will heed that advice and pack can of FAF next road trip.

Once again, I wish I would have found this forum a long time ago.

Irish

Old 05-11-2007, 08:59 PM
SMT
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Neckball

Two weeks ago I was on the way home from work. Exit off the interstate onto the outer belt and I see a Heritage on the side of the road with a flat rear tire and a guy leaning on the guard rail. I pull up behind him to see what I can do to help. Not to stereo-type anyone but this guy is an "experienced" biker based on his apperance. He's spent quite a few years on the road. He's about 150 miles away from home, says it's no good to call for help, all his friends and relatives are too far away. He's about 75 miles from where he's headed that day. I offer to call the closest dealer, about 15 miles down the road. He doesn't seem interested in that idea. He mentions fix-a-flat. Not my idea but it's his motorcycle and I figured I'd do what I could to help.

We were about 7 miles from my house so I rode home and got my truck, air tank and air gauge. I stopped at the Autozone and picked up a can of fix-a-flat and headed back. He put in the fix-a-flat and it aired up the tire about 2/3 full. I gave him the air tank and he put in about 50 psi of air. As he rolled the bike I got down on my hands and knees to try to find the problem. We're on the side of the road with him pushing the bike and I'm crawling along behind, to some that might have looked a bit strange. We made a full turn on the tire once going forward, once backwards and once more forward and I haven't found a leak in the tire or anything sticking in it. It stumped us, seemed to be a flat tire for no reason. He adjusted the air pressure down to normal and got ready to ride. He offered to pay for the fix-a-flat and my time and trouble but I told him to just pay it forward.

He wanted to head on out and see how far he'd make it. I told him I'd follow him down the outer belt until he got off on the next highway, about 30 miles. He took off riding nice and easy being careful. After about 10 miles we run into some evening rush hour traffic. We're in the left lane and he pulls off to the left of the road. I pulled up beside him as traffic has stopped. He says thanks for the help but no need to follow him on anymore, he says the tire feels good. I've been behind him keeping an eye on it and it did look okay. I had given him my cell number and business card. I told him good luck and give me a call if he needed anymore help. I haven't heard from him since.

So, no need to start the laced wheel vs. cast wheel discussion all over again but it appears that if you have tire trouble even with laced wheels a can of fix-a-flat may be worth trying.
Jesus Christ...this is not about "fix a flat" or whether it works or not. This is about Neckball and the kindness he shared with a fellow biker. I don't know Neckball from Adam but this guy is the MAN and in my opinion a true biker. You can ride with me and my boys anytime Neckball...you are a true Bro.
Keep up the good Karma because it will come back...trust me.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:12 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

very nice of you to stop and help...we all must do the same.. i carry a small 12 volt air pump/ green slime for tubes/some tools/fix a flat and a car type plug kit in my car..on the bike i carry the same except for the fix a flat (room issue)...helped out more than 1 motorcyclist on the road... it really sucks to be dumped on the side of the road..sometimes a few miles is all you need to reach safety or help.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:18 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I tried Slime for Tube Tiresin a tubed tire. I put some in a tire/tube that I was getting ready to change. I drove 3 nails in it and pulled them out. I rode the bike that day and then let it sit for about a week. It never lost air.

You can use Slime after you find the nail for the repair. If you just find your bike sitting on a flat, it will likely work. However, if you ride with a nail in the tire till she goes flat and shred the tube, you are SOL.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: SMT

Jesus Christ...this is not about "fix a flat" or whether it works or not. This is about Neckball and the kindness he shared with a fellow biker. I don't know Newhog from Adam but this guy is the MAN and in my opinion a true biker. You can ride with me and my boys anytime Neckball...you are a true Bro.
Keep up the good Karma because it will come back...trust me.

Ibeg to differ. While no one here will dispute the kindness and generosity of Neckball, The real point of the post was that the fix a flat worked with laced wheels. The owners of theses wheels were led to believe it would not. I don't think he posted to see how many pats on the back or other accilades he would get but rather to just pass on the news that the stuff worked.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:40 PM
nujohn
Tourer

Green Slime?? what is it and where can someone get it ?? I have a 03 RKC and worry alittle about the laced wheel on long trips ,but now i'll worry a lot less
Thanks for the post
and we all have a bit of kindness in us and shows more when you ride a Harley

Old 05-12-2007, 09:08 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with tube tyres is sometimes the foreign object will cause a rip in the tube, where it is very unlikely to rip a tyre which is of a much stronger construction. If the tube dosen't rip, you should be fine if it does you are SOL.

I haven't used slime or FAF, but I have used plugs on my sport bikes and plugs are good for the life of the tyre, as long as the hole is in the centre 3/4 of the tread. If for some reason its out on the far edge or the side wall, forget it. You can fix it to get you home at slow speed but that tyre needs junking ASAP. Our mechanics plug our pursuit Volvos and they are good for 155 mph, and yes thats on a calibrated speedo and VASCA.

WB

Old 05-12-2007, 11:31 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

auto parts stores carry the green slime bottle (advance discount=discount autoparts), some walmart stores also carry it also. do not remember price but less than 10 bucks

Quick Reply: Laced wheel, flat tire & Fix-a-flat