Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I thought I 'd put back the 4 inch windshield .

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: I thought I 'd put back the 4 inch windshield .

I have a 10 inch SSC cee baileys on order for my 07 FLHX, which will give me a 7 inch shield. I am hoping I can see over it. I am 6 feet, but long legged and short waisted. . I had the 4 inch stock, have a nine inch clear HD now But I cant see over it as well as I would like. Plus I think the cee baileys SSC looks cool.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:41 AM
truegentlemann
Cruiser
Location: i live outside Omaha Ne on the Iowa side in the Loes hills, some great places to ride
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i picked up my SG i had them install a 9.5" shield. i was a little upset that it was only smoked and not black or dark tint.
but as you folks have said that can only be done on a shorter shield. i installed the short 4" shield a couple days ago and only made it about 3 miles on a ride with the wife and we turned around. i got alot of wind noise and couldn't hear her or the exhaust. would the 8" clearview with recurve give me the same protection so i could get a black windshield?

Old 05-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It took me one mile down the road after delivery to realize the 4" wasn't going to cut it. Wind right up under my glasses making them flutter so bad I couldn not see chit. Went with the 8" dark smoke and love it. Probably going to go with a 6.5" recurve eventually.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:56 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: truegentlemann

when i picked up my SG i had them install a 9.5" shield. i was a little upset that it was only smoked and not black or dark tint.
but as you folks have said that can only be done on a shorter shield. i installed the short 4" shield a couple days ago and only made it about 3 miles on a ride with the wife and we turned around. i got alot of wind noise and couldn't hear her or the exhaust. would the 8" clearview with recurve give me the same protection so i could get a black windshield?
My 8" Clearview with recurve gives me as much or more protection than any of my 9" ones. The recurve really works. I have to say that for some reason the recurve look didn't wear well with me though. To me it looks a little opposite of what I think a sleek windshield should look like, with the top of the windshield curving outward and all. Just my opinon of course.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:04 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mathews2

I have a 10 inch SSC cee baileys on order for my 07 FLHX, which will give me a 7 inch shield. I am hoping I can see over it. I am 6 feet, but long legged and short waisted. . I had the 4 inch stock, have a nine inch clear HD now But I cant see over it as well as I would like. Plus I think the cee baileys SSC looks cool.
I have a 13 (10") SSC and a 9 (6") SSC. I agree they look very cool particularly with the lines of the SG. I also have a Cee Bailey, (and other) standard shaped 9" windshields, and at 6' I see over them just about perfectly. I can see way over the 9" SSC, and even just over the top of the 13". You should be fine with the 7" SSC. I hope it isn't true for you since yours is on order, but I doubt you're going to get close to the 9" standard shape windshield with the 7" SSC for protection. For as well as my 13" SSC works, (best windshield for protection I've ever owned), my 9 (6") SSC actually doesn't offer good protection at all. Due to the design of the shield, at that height, It throws the wind right in my face. Other standard 6-7" shields work pretty well for me, although not as good as a 8 or 9".

Old 05-12-2007, 12:14 PM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

10",8", 6",How about a 2"!!!!!!!!!! I cut down a scratched one from an Ultra to 2" tall. I think its great, now the wind hits you straight on like riding a bike without a fairing except its not trying to push you off the bike @ 100mph. Still hear the tunes too, just have to turn them up more. Gonna get a Hawg Wired amp and speakers soon.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17000/5A77A779B4E3427F9DFFA2993EF55FE3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2007, 12:15 PM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heres another angle

[IMG]local://upfiles/17000/CAA6E0C5F41F41ADA7C7A90E5EAA4777.jpg[/IMG]