Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat shields designed by idiots.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat shields designed by idiots.

I just bought a set of the Harley Heat shields for my Ultra. When I was talking to the parts manager he told me that he just put a set on his bike and that gettingone bolt on the right side of the bike was a bear.

Helied, it's worse. Why MOCO would design a bracket that1, you can hardley get inside the frame box and 2. you could not get the screws started is beyond me.
It is a true case of trying to find a solution to a problem after the fact.

My wife is on her way to pick up my 5 year old granddaughter to see if her hand will fit inside the framebox to hold the bracket in place until I can get the bolt with no room to use a wrench in place.

If this sounds like I am a little upset I am. All I know is it better work when I get finished. Or something Ugly may happen.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:04 PM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Received 848 Likes on 321 Posts
Default RE: Heat shields designed by idiots.

"Tri-state killing spree begins over poorly designed harley part......film at eleven"[:@]
Yah, I know where youre coming from.
I get the feeling they design this stuff just to get a few more bucks.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:04 PM
takeiteasy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aren't their child labor laws??

Good luck, I think they do it on purpose to keep their dealers working and all the forums buzzing. You know what they say it don't matter if they say good things or bad things about you as long as they keep talking about you.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

It is 10:00, Ive taken my 5 yr old granddaughter home my 3 yr old grandson drove me crazy and my wife work so hard to help I owe her plenty.

STILL NOT FINISHED. I will have to cut down the allen wrench so it can fit and turn the bolt on the brake side. The clip to hold the clutch side to the frame box won't spread apart enough to secure both the frame box and the shield. I tell you know wonder so many guys are upset with MOCO over add on's. I told my ife that I bet a hundred the 2008 have the 89.95 part installed and they will charge 400.00 for it.
I will work on it again this weekend probably Sat afterwork. I like the look but this 20 minute install has gone on for four hours.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nelly, just asking, what was wrong with the original heat shields and how did you get them off?

Old 05-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

The heat shields I am referring to are the ones that are suppose to stop the engine heat from burning your thighs. They fit under the frame and below the gas tank but above the back cylinder of the engine.

New part just out by HD I think they are in the new Enthusist mag.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Rollon
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Okay, want to gripe! I bought my 06with 1200 mi on it. the previous owner managed to strip the weld bolt holding the seat strap. Go the dealer to work on it under warranty. EVery try to get you fat fingers in that little slot? The tech used a magnetic extension rod to hold the nut in place and tighten it as best he could, which still left it loose. i spent about an hour trying to find a way to tighten it, the tech spent 3. Finally, i went to Sears and went through the tool section, found a set of "ignition" wrenches, small little buggers that us'm old guys used in our youth to do distributor ignition work. One end has the wrench pointing straight up and the other has it at 90 deg. The whole thing is about 2" long. Worked great!! I was able to tighten the nut completely.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:21 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey, one of the many uses for grand children.

Hack

Old 05-11-2007, 01:43 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're actually Kuryakyn heat shields, repackaged and sold by HD. Might go to Kury's web site and download their instructions. I bought the rjsoriginals instead, but my understanding was that the Kruys weren't supposed to be that difficult to install.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/21B79B288C2C4258B06C87D394CD114D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/009DBDD464514FD6BEDD5D44ABDCE7C7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-11-2007, 02:38 AM
hawg03
Road Captain

Nellybell,
I concur. Bought me a set and it was a B****H to put in! U have to have really small fingers to get inside. Took me a while, but finally got it in....I was dropping crap everywhere. Had to use a magnet tool to pick it out of the engine crevice. Ur right, they should have made a special allen wrench for that screw near the brake side head. After it was done, took a ride when it was 90F outside. Seem to work pretty good. Good luck on completion...

Quick Reply: Heat shields designed by idiots.