Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat shields designed by idiots.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 01:47 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Heat shields designed by idiots.

FLHRSE3, if your referrin to my product about trapped heat. It doesnt get trapped with my product. Lets face the facts. In order for trapped heat to accumulate. You would actually be doing harm to your bike, even without deflectors,... letting the bike get that hot idling. Their air cooled. So, if caught at a stand still for that long, Its wise to just shut it off. When moving, even at a parade roll. The heat expelled from the engine will be channeled or deflected back and down away from you. When your stopped in traffic. The heat will rise, Especially since HD placed that flat steel panel over your starter area, attached to the 2 down tubes of your frame. That plate keeps or helps prevent adding heat to your back tire. But on the other hand. It became a direct route for the heat to rise to your inner thighs. The deflectors arent setting under your seat like a air tight seal. The bottom line is,... when u feel that heat come up to your inner thighs. If you just place your hand between the expelled heat and your inner thigh. You get relief from the heat. Though your hand is probably burning then, But all in all. Your getting first hand ( no punn intended) the concept of my invention.

zoood/RJ

ORIGINAL: FLHRSE3

Where is the heat that is trapped by these heat deflectors allowed to escape, is it funneled back towards the under-seat area thereby increasing the already too hot seat.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Slope
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, the RJSOriginals are aluminum and the Kurys are plastic. What material are the HD ones? What is the best material for shielding AND durability?

Old 05-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Slope

OK, the RJSOriginals are aluminum and the Kurys are plastic. What material are the HD ones? What is the best material for shielding AND durability?
And the best material for shielding and durability (don't forget the 10 min installation) is:

RJ's Originals

Sorry I don't know what H-D is running.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Nellybelle
The cut down hex wrench is the key to a easier job.
You know, you could probably start selling these modified hex wrenches and be a millionaire in a month or two! [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 05-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Taterdog,

Yes that would be nice. I would probably just by more stuff with it.

As far as what the harley shield are made of it is some type of plastic.

I did ride tioday for about two hours, they worked ok. The temperature is down here about 15 degrees.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:04 PM
edman48
Novice

Hello: I purchased a set from Zanotti's in Butler, PA for my 2006RoadGlide sincethey had the best price! Opened the box and read the instructions and viewed the photos. They were not very clear and the directions are not real clear. I just followed the part diagram and yes, it was a PIA to install!
Since I have large hands it took some extra caution not to get them stuck, but they did get scuffed up! Dropped the wellnut and still have not found it! Just substitued an appropriate sized nut. Used a pair of hemostats to hold the nut while tightening! The upper screw on the right hand side near the rear cylinder head was a real bear. You definitely have to have a small allen wrench to get in there! Overall it took me 2.5 hours to install them! I wonder how long it would take a tech at the dealer to install! It seems to me that Harley would prefer you to have it installed by the dealer instead of doing it yourself! Off to Myrtle Beach tomorrow and will see how they work in the warm weather!

Ride Safe,

Edman

2003 Anniversary V-Rod
2006 Road Glide

Old 05-14-2007, 10:35 PM
jbpence
Novice

i am returning my set of harley mid sheild deflectors, after looking over the instruction sheet and checking thiings out it appears to me that they are incompatible with the set angle adjustment release on the harley adjuswtable drivers backrest, which mounts in the same area as the left side deflector. i dont recall seeing aything from harley about this, but cant see how to install both the deflector and the release for the seat.

does anyone know if the deflector from rjsoriginals.com are compatible with the harley adjustable seat release lever?

Old 05-14-2007, 11:03 PM
edman48
Novice

The Mid-Frame Air Deflectors, 58022-07 on the HD Site specifically states: Fits '01-07 Touring Models. Does not fit models equipped with Adjustable Rider Backrests. I am surprised the dealer sold them to you without acknowledging or telling you!

Ride Safe,

Edman

2003 V-Rod
2006 Road Glide

Old 05-15-2007, 09:30 AM
jbpence
Novice

i am surprised too, i bought the deflectors during the same visit, on the same invoice as the deflectors!
i should have looked at the website before ordering. maybe the guy at the parts. just bought a set from zood (RJS originals)