Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat shields designed by idiots.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Heat shields designed by idiots.

not to hi-jack your post.... but i had a HELL of a time installing the headbolt caps.

yes- CAPS- that snap onto nuts. no bolts, no screws.... little caps.

i was able to get 6 on within 5 minutes.... but the 7 and 8th were a BITCH. it took me a few attempts and i finally popped the remaining 2 on after a fight with the wife.

i had retard finger-strength.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence

not to hi-jack your post.... but i had a HELL of a time installing the headbolt caps.
yes- CAPS- that snap onto nuts. no bolts, no screws.... little caps.
I was able to get 6 on within 5 minutes.... but the 7 and 8th were a BITCH. it took me a few attempts and i finally popped the remaining 2 on after a fight with the wife.
Those are the ones you leave off. The rationale is that you can't see them anyway. Just tell yourself that a few dozen times and you actually won't see them. It's amazing.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:38 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nellybelle

IM FINISHED DAMN IT.

Brand K looks alot easier to install.
Anyway I done all together about 5 Hrs.
Spent the last 2.5 washing and cleaning the bike.
Tomorrow it is BUGSVILLE all over again.
You don't have love bugs in Indiana, so you guys don't have a clue where Bugsville really is. Come down here to S. LA for a demo about this time of year. It's almost bad enough to make you stay home in May and again in September. These damn things mate on the fly (thus the term "love bug") and are actually attracted to automobile exhaust. So, they congregate where the exhaust is located, which is obviously right where you're riding. You'd think natural selection would favor those which aren't quite so attracted, thus those which stay off the road would survive and pass on their genes, but this hasn't made its way into the evolutionary process yet, apparently, although we can hope. The mess they make dries to a hard solid that is very difficult to remove. They are born, mate, and die in about a two-week period and their offspring pop up again in about September, so we get a double-shot of love bugs every year. They are not tasty, which I can attest to first-hand after many rides without a windshield, so no bird or other animal will eat them. No governmental agency wants to eradicate them because they cause no real damage, just create a big nuisance, so they live on relatively unchallenged.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your right about the love bugs, Went to Destin FL a few years ago in September on vacation. While goin through Southern Alabama ran into these "love bugs" I never saw anything like it. I guess I should be thank for the types of bugs we have.

Old 05-13-2007, 03:28 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nellybelle

Your right about the love bugs, Went to Destin FL a few years ago in September on vacation. While goin through Southern Alabama ran into these "love bugs" I never saw anything like it. I guess I should be thank for the types of bugs we have.
When I was in the Navy I was stationed for a while in Jacksonville. We had more profane name for them that replaced 'love'. Ate tons of them riding on my Triumph. Had to stop every now and then and wipe off the goggles.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Fishpart
Tourer

http://www.rjsoriginals.bizland.com/index.html as many have Ibought these and the results are amazing, I don't get the heat at all now! Took 10 minutes to install! I would say without a doubt this was and probaly will be the best purchase I've made for my bike!

Old 05-13-2007, 11:17 AM
pete01
Intermediate

I put the Kurys on my 07 Ultra classic. The frontpart of the shieldthat is supposed to be bolted,I did not do. The holes in the frame( L & R)that you bolt the shield to have an electrical wire channel that covered the bolt holes and I was not about to remove the channels. I just slid the shield under the electrical channel, which is a very tight fit,and just finished withthe rest of the directions. Been on there for 2 months. Does not rattle, does not work loose and definitely will not fall off. There you have it.
Pete

Old 05-13-2007, 12:56 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fishpart, thank you for your post. Im the inventor/designer/owner of the V-Twin Heat Deflectors. I'm also a sponcer in here "NO MORE FRIED THIGHS!!!" and advertize at this forum as well. I, as you all do,... purchase parts for my Harley and I hate when it takes forever to mount anything on my scoot. Thats why my design is made to go on with minimal effort. I'm still running with the original prototype installed on my scoot. They look like the day I put them on and it's been 9 years so far. When they fall apart, which I feel that won't ever happen. I'll post then, how long they do last. Tho mine look like its just leather. There's no leather on it. They are aluminum with a bonded on vinyl that matches the grain of your seats covering, to the "T". It's design follows the contour and flow of your scoot and blends in as an extention of your saddle. So enjoy them. And if by chance. You upgrade to a newer year. Keep them for the new bike. Bet no other company will tell you that! Besides all that. My materials and fabrication is 100% American made and it's staying that way.

zoood/RJ

ORIGINAL: Fishpart

http://www.rjsoriginals.bizland.com/index.html as many have Ibought these and the results are amazing, I don't get the heat at all now! Took 10 minutes to install! I would say without a doubt this was and probaly will be the best purchase I've made for my bike!

Old 05-13-2007, 01:20 PM
FLHRSE3
Advanced

Where is the heat that is trapped by these heat deflectors allowed to escape, is it funneled back towards the under-seat area thereby increasing the already too hot seat.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:42 PM
alexcue
Road Master

ORIGINAL: FLHRSE3

Where is the heat that is trapped by these heat deflectors allowed to escape, is it funneled back towards the under-seat area thereby increasing the already too hot seat.
if you are talking about when stopped, then think of how heat works. It rises or tries to, the rj originals funnel it forward of your thighs, once under way, i think it actually helps the rear cylinder stay cooler by funneling air to the rear cylinder, but that's just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Heat shields designed by idiots.