Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape install-Can I extend throttle by wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016 | 06:00 PM
Flhrhog
|
Advanced
Default Ape install-Can I extend throttle by wire

I am installing 12" outlawz on my roadking. Can I extend the throttle by wire at the molex connector same as the other wires. I was thinking it would work, but it looks like it is to short. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-06-2016 | 06:22 PM
WB
Road Captain

Yes you can.

Old 02-06-2016 | 07:42 PM
fat daddy
Road Master

Better off buying the se one rather than splicing

Old 02-06-2016 | 07:56 PM
Flhrhog
|
Advanced

Thanks WB. Fat daddy, I thought the problem was only if you cut out the green plug. I was going to leave it alone and splice at the molex plug? I have all the wiring done and ready to put back together except for the tbw. The search button on this forum turns up so much information to sift through, I have read and read so I ask.

Old 02-06-2016 | 07:57 PM
Chris57
Cruiser

Yes you can, I did this to my bike. I removed the connectors and added about 4 inches. I dont think I needed the length but I wanted to get rid of the connectors. I repair wires in european cars all the time so it was easy for me. I made real clean solder connections and covered with heat shrink. I checked resistance in the wires before and after and there was no change.

Old 02-06-2016 | 07:57 PM
skydude426
Club Member

To me, throttle control is vital to my safety when riding. I used a plug and play tension on the throttle control wires and soldered extensions on the rest of the wires. I just didn't want any trouble with the throttle control. Better safe than sorry.

Old 02-06-2016 | 08:45 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Flhrhog
Thanks WB. Fat daddy, I thought the problem was only if you cut out the green plug. I was going to leave it alone and splice at the molex plug? I have all the wiring done and ready to put back together except for the tbw. The search button on this forum turns up so much information to sift through, I have read and read so I ask.
Cut the green plug out and make your extensions to be hidden inside the bars. Done it a million times and never an issue. The issue has always came with trying to pull the green plug through the bars only to have it come loose. If you've already pulled the green plug apart then there's a good likelihood of issues with it. They're very fragile.

Old 02-06-2016 | 08:55 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

I spliced and soldered to the length I wanted, so yes you can.

Old 02-06-2016 | 09:03 PM
fat daddy
Road Master

Yes you can do it that way. What I was saying is I think the proper way would be plug and play. You can do a lot of things with a pipe wrench or a torch but it just might not be the best way. But hey brother your bike do it however you feel,good luck.

Old 02-06-2016 | 09:07 PM
Flhrhog
|
Advanced

Thanks, I will cut the green plug off and solder the joints back together and stagger them like I did the rest of the wiring. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Ape install-Can I extend throttle by wire