Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Extended Warranty???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007 | 04:11 PM
tizone
|
Tourer
Default Opinions on Extended Warranty???

I am about to throw down my deposit on a brand spankin new 2007 Street Glide! What is the general concensus on the Harley Extended warranty? Has anyone had good or bad experiences trying to get service under contract? I was also wondering weather or not the 103" or 110" engine mods would void the warranty altogether?

I would love to hear some opinions/advice! Does anyone know how much the 5 year extension should cost? I will ask the dealer these questions... but I value and trust the info I get here slighty more than from a salesman...

Old 05-10-2007 | 04:26 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Default RE: Opinions on Extended Warranty???

waste of money. my 2001 RK has 63K miles and the only time in shop was for $50 vehicle speed sensor. cost of warranty would have been way over $1K. they sell the warranty expecting you to not use it. we buy it expecting to use it.

Old 05-10-2007 | 04:31 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

I like the secure feeling as "IF" anything was to happen - got the warranty (really same idea as insurance - we all have to have it - we pay for it & hope we never have to use it) - Just 1 repair after the factory warranty goes out - will pay for it's self and being an '07 and there known heat issues????

Also had coverage on my '01 RKC - but if it was never used ya got all your $$$$ back... HD doesn't sell policies like that now... (DA_N!)

Old 05-10-2007 | 04:38 PM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

I had it on first bike, not on second. I didn't like the fact that HD would, in essence, overlap the extended warranty of top of its own.

Old 05-10-2007 | 04:41 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

For me, it's peace of mind. I figger ta average 10-15k miles/year on the bike...

Old 05-10-2007 | 04:46 PM
Wags1
Tourer

You will certainly get lots of opinions on this one. It really comes down to the fact that some people prefer to pay up front for the peace of mind that they are covered for major problems and some people don't. If you look at it from a purely financial perspective it is just not a good deal for the purchaser in the vast majority of cases.

Warranties are HUGE profit makers for those that sell them. That is why the dealerships are always pushing them so hard on folks that buy new bikes.

All that said, I will guarantee that you will see some posts from folks to the effect that they are sure glad they bought the extended warranty because they had a problem and it would have cost them x thousands of $'s had they not had it. What you have to remember is that for each one of those their are thousands of folks who bought the extended warranty and never used it, and you won't hear from them. The companies that sell the extended warranties are in the business to make money, and they do, lots of it. If more people received repairs worth more than the money they spent on the extended warranties these companies would be loosing money and would not be in business.

IMHO, take the money you were going to spend on the extended warranty and invest it. If you have a problem with your bike then you can tap that money to pay for the repair. If not, then you have some money put aside for a rainy day and the money stays in your pocket rather than in the pockets of some warranty company.

Old 05-10-2007 | 06:12 PM
Fireman44
Tourer

About 3 months after my factory warranty was over the trans in my 02 EG went out. I put a baker DD6 in it, but if I had extended warranty It would be almost free. On my 07 I opted for a 7yr plan. Peace of mind like many other have said.

Old 05-10-2007 | 07:04 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

I purchased the HD ESP when I bought a one year old FLHTPI in Feb. 05. My main considerations at the time were: 1) it is cancellable at any time with a pro rata refund; 2) it is transferrable so if I sold the bike it would make the bike more attractive to at least some buyers; 3) peace of mind.

Since then, I have learned that there are wear items on Harleys which is important to me because I have become a high mileage rider (40K in two years). On '06 and earlier bikes, the cam chain tensioners will almost certainly need replacement at approx. 30K; some sooner, some later, some far later.

So, for a high mileage rider, the decision is much different from a 5K or less rider.

With the '07 96 and six-speed, I would be inclined to spend the money for the ESP; especially with the higher engine temps these run compared to earlier, less-EPA leaned bikes.

Also, any HD dealer can sell you the ESP for your bike, not just the dealer selling the bike.So call Zanotti's and see what price they give you.

Last, sure the dealership makes a profit on the ESP, but that is just something more to bargain over and knock down their initial price, reduce the price of the bike, or get someother concession.

Old 05-10-2007 | 07:04 PM
slojoh
Road Captain

personally i have never purchased one but, THE PRICES ARE NEGOTIABLE ON THESE!!!!!

Old 05-10-2007 | 07:28 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain

My take is if you have lots of disposable income even after you buy a Harley then don't bother with the extended warranty but if you don't have lots of spare money and would really hate to have your bike parked/broken while you save the money or tack the unexpected costs on your credit then maybe just maybe you should consider the extended warranty option as a way to ensure you'll be back on the road sooner than later.

FBL

Quick Reply: Opinions on Extended Warranty???