Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the truth about extended bags?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 03:07 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What's the truth about extended bags?

I ride a 2013 street glide. I recently bought a set of top shop viper bags. From a cosmetic standpoint I would rather run the 4 1/2" standard flat bottom bags. I run floorboard extension up front which means they have been moved outward from the frame 1". Moving the floorboards outward also makes them more likely to drag. I have only drug the left floorboard one time ever and that was a slow speed tight corner leaving a parking lot. I know the viper bags are not a problem but if I return them for flat bottom 4 1/2" bags will the flat bags drag before the floorboards? I'm asking for a comparison on dragging the bags before normal floorboard position, I don't care about the extensions on my floorboards those are just an insurance policy. If Normal boards drag before the bags I should be fine. I run the HD 12" premium rear shocks and don't plan to go to an air ride setup. If anything I may go to a set of ohlins shocks some day.

Last edited by ridedaddy; 01-29-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:25 PM
hawk61
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know this might be nuts why not get some help and lower bike till it just touch ground put carpet down to stop any damage to chrome then have another take picture least that way you will see what will ground 1st i did this too see how far it would lean b4 it ground on me

Old 01-29-2016, 10:13 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master

In every thread I've read this seems to be a tough question to get a straight answer on.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:59 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

So you have 6" extended or 4.5". My 6" haven't scraped yet although I do have 13" legend aero suspension. But with sag set and at times running lower than full height I never have drug them. Get some skid plates if your that worried about them.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:49 PM
kevin_n
Road Captain
Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

I put on 4.5" bags from bad dad last year and have never scraped them. Im am not a hard corner rider, but I never rode my ultra like that.

Kevin

Old 01-30-2016, 04:06 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

I also threw on 4.5" extended bags from Bad Dad along with 13" JRI shocks - and I have not had an issue with scraping bags riding the twisty's here in Colorado.....

Old 01-30-2016, 06:34 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

If you ride hard extended bags will hit! Yes, before the boards hit! I put ness 4" extendions on my new RG back in '99. They hit all the time! Arlen couldn't believe they stayed together?? I will never have extended bags again! Yes they do look Kool... PS I don't lower my bikes either...

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 01-30-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:25 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master

Originally Posted by slyedog
So you have 6" extended or 4.5". My 6" haven't scraped yet although I do have 13" legend aero suspension. But with sag set and at times running lower than full height I never have drug them. Get some skid plates if your that worried about them.
The bags I'm concerned with scraping are 4.5" bags. I actually cut some 2"x4.5" blocks out of styrofoam and wrapped them in duct tape. Then I took some two sided tape and stuck them to the bottom of my stock bags. I went for a short ride trying to scrape the styrofoam blocks. I was able to scrape the left side block on my short ride but I have to admit I was trying to do it. I will make some more time tomorrow to go for a longer ride and get a better idea of how easily scraping happens.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:43 PM
BDHABT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Top Shop 4" extended bags on my FLHT,and yes they scrape.

You will also scrape considering your SG is 1" lower than my bike.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:06 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I've always worried about dragging extended bags. I ride The Dragon ever year and it's the one place I worry about. I run the 3" TopShop bags presently and never had problem with 12" shocks. I think anything after that could be problem. I've wondered if I'd scrape the Vipers on Dragon? One of my riding buddies has extended floorboards with stock bags and he's scraped the boards on Dragon.

Quick Reply: What's the truth about extended bags?