Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on setup for 08 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016 | 12:17 PM
cprhed
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Opinions on setup for 08 Ultra

So my 08 currently has 103 kit with SE 255 cams, V&H Fuel Pak tuner, Stake 1 K&N intake, and SE street cannon slip ons.
I bought it with this setup last year, not 100% confident that it is set exactly correct because the shop that did the work for previous owner didn't have a dyno.
Maybe it is just me. They used the HD 103 kit parts but a private shop without a dyno to do the work. To me it seems that it is most likely not tuned exactly right without the test.

I don't really like the sound of the current exhaust. I plan to switch but haven't decided what to go with. I don't want it straight pipe loud but these are barely louder than stock.

I am planning on getting rid of the FuelPak and going with a SE race tuner. I will also have it dyno'd. My plan is to get the SE tuner and pipes and have it dyno'd in one package so that it should be all correctly setup when finished.

I would like thoughts on which pipes to use with the setup. I don't plan to replace the head pipes, slip ons only.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-28-2016 | 06:21 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

dont spend money on the se tuner until u talk to your dyno guy,use what your dyno guy likes. do a little research and find a reputable tuner, seen a few tunes that were worse than a generic download.

Old 01-28-2016 | 10:53 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

with your mods you should have a peak HP at about 88 or so.

you could ask a pal to ride it and see what they think.

a well tuned motor should pull evenly across the rpm range, without surging at an even throttle setting and the motor should be smooth when the rpms are dropping.
mpg should be close to 40 at 65 or 70 ish, you shouldn't have any black smoke.

a dyno is not the be all and end all - the fuel pak should help the computer adapt in realtime to conditions.

if it's not then 1st try altered settings for the fuel pak- after you determine which ever pipes you want ( go to a bike night and hear other bikes).

if that doesn;t work there are other tuning devices which alter settings as you ride- so each ride is a "dyno run"- look into the power vision or thundermax

Mike

Old 01-29-2016 | 06:08 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Just an opinon but I would look at going to a different cam. An andrews 57H won't fall on it's face as much as the 255's do. As for a tuner there are others out there. The Power Vision is a nice piece of equipment that will allow you to play with the tuning of the bike should you make more changes later. Ultimately if you yourself will not me toying with it ask the shop that is going to tune it and see what they are comfortable using for a tuning device. Most shops around here are familiar with the PV.

Exhaust wise there are a lot of options. Rinehart are one of most popular brands as are vance and hines. I have had both. The VH monster mufflers that I had were super deep sounding but sometimes seemed to drone a bit on the slab. The Rinehart's are not as deep and a good overall sounding muffler. Rush is another one that constantly performs well sound and performance wise.

I haven't heard Fuel Moto's Jackpot mufflers although I run their head pipe on one bike. They are built well. As Mike stated you really have to listen to a collection of mufflers to see what you like as sound is subjective.

Last edited by todd-67; 01-29-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2016 | 08:26 AM
cprhed
|
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the notes guys. I appreciate it.

Old 01-29-2016 | 08:37 AM
cprhed
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by todd-67
Just an opinon but I would look at going to a different cam. An andrews 57H won't fall on it's face as much as the 255's do.
I gotta ask. What do you mean fall on it's face?

Old 01-29-2016 | 09:30 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

It was not dyno tuned....

The V&H Fuelpak is NOT a tuner, it is a piggy back fuel management system.
It works, but isn't necessarily the best.

IF you can find an old school SERT, you'd be fine... but I don't like the modern SE offerings.

If it were mine, I would look for a TTS MasterTune, or a PowerVision.

For exhaust, I run RUSH Racing True Duals, with Big Louie 4" mufflers, 2 1/2" baffles.
On the loudness scale, 1 being stock and 10 being obnoxious open straight pipes, I would call mine a 7.

Your best bet is to ask questions, both when you hear pipes you like, and when you hear pipes you don't. The secret is even if they sound like ***, don't tell them you don't like them... but don't tell them you do, either, I like to be honest... When I hear pipes that suck, I usually say something like "Wow... what pipes you runnin'" while shaking his hand and smiling.

Wish you were closer to Texas....

Old 01-29-2016 | 11:14 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cprhed
I gotta ask. What do you mean fall on it's face?
If you look at the dyno charts for that cam it stops pulling relatively early in the RPM range. If you like to wind it out to 4k+ on occasion you will notice this. If you put around below 3500rpm you probably won't. The 255's run hotter than some of the other non-EPA compliant cams in the 103's.

Old 01-30-2016 | 06:32 AM
Seth Schaefer
6th Gear

Originally Posted by todd-67
If you look at the dyno charts for that cam it stops pulling relatively early in the RPM range. If you like to wind it out to 4k+ on occasion you will notice this. If you put around below 3500rpm you probably won't. The 255's run hotter than some of the other non-EPA compliant cams in the 103's.
June 1st of 2015 I bought a 2008 96" with cam's, R.Sands A/C & Rinehart Duals. I didn't know it had cam's till tech noticed adjustable push rods, so I don't know what they are. I had it dynoed, 85 H & 101 T. It stops make power at 4k, would it be a safe guess it has 255's or is there more with about same result?

I didn't get the tuner with bike, but when dynoed at HD (where I bought it) they could see it had been tuned with SERT. Sounds like PV are recommended? I want whatever performs best. But like the PV to be able to mess with it myself?

FYI I put a Thunderheader X-Series on at xmas time, without having tuned it yet. It hands down has instant power now, like night & day, hang on when you hit gas. I would highly recommend if you WANT PERFORMANCE, but it is LOUD much LOUDER compared to Rineharts!

I put 19k on in it & tracked fuel with a app, 36 MPG AVG.... ? I am on the gas a lot, does that sound normal? Everyone I ride gets better, but maybe don't ride as hard either??

Thanks for any input

Old 01-30-2016 | 06:10 PM
Mirnldi@gmail.com
Tourer

Falls on its face in my opinion means you have the throttle almost wide open and the bike isn't going anywhere. Meaning you were going somewhere and when you reach a certain rpm the motor sounds like it's going but it really isn't

Quick Reply: Opinions on setup for 08 Ultra