Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlin Shock Boot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016 | 01:35 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

All shocks need maintenance, oil inside metal will get dirty from the dissimilar metals , the wear of the parts moving and heat . If you believe there is an oil on the planet that will never wear out or that oil will not become contaminated and instead of being a lubricant will be abrasive and wear parts out regardless of the brand of shocks you are mistaken.

Old 01-31-2016 | 03:30 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tj316
All shocks need maintenance, oil inside metal will get dirty from the dissimilar metals , the wear of the parts moving and heat . If you believe there is an oil on the planet that will never wear out or that oil will not become contaminated and instead of being a lubricant will be abrasive and wear parts out regardless of the brand of shocks you are mistaken.
The difference is that Legend does not require maintenance. Should your shocks loose there serviceable use you send them back to Legend for a rebuild. You must call them first and pay for shipping back. They rebuild and ship back. Obviously they could not do this if there shocks were not well made. I certainly agree that nothing man made, that moves will last forever. The difference is your ownership experience. That's not a put down on anything else, just a difference.

Old 02-01-2016 | 03:46 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default Apology given

Originally Posted by Bmusg
I appreciate your reply and explanation on this and if you say that having expensive shocks act as fixed lateral stabilizers is a good thing; I'll take your word for it. It must be a special bushing indeed if it is more expensive than a bearing.

I'm fairly well acquainted with HDF Shock history. Seems like it went Penske to Ohlins to JRI and back to Ohlins.

Finally, I wasn't suggesting that we bolt TTX shocks to our baggers. Merely that the TTX was Ohlins state of the art offering and if this tech was adapted to a twin shock bagger, the price would be out of site. Plenty of people make comments that they want Ohlins because that's what the top racing bikes (motogp) run. Not quite the same world. A bit like equating Showa A kit mx gear to our stock air shocks.
Bmusg, I owe you an appology. Since the last time I checked Ohlins bushings V/S spherical bearings, the price has sky-rocked on them. The spherical bearings now cost $21 retail and the rubber O-Rings and steel end eye unit costs $10.55. You are correct in the statement "It must be a special bushing indeed if it is more expensive than a bearing" but you were correct in the beginning. If Ohlins thought that spherical bearings were better for a Harley application than Ohlins would make the shocks that way in the beginning & just charge more to cover the cost. There is an issue with weeping seal heads when they are solidly mounted as per Sweden & OhlinsUSA/Mike Hensley.

Old 02-01-2016 | 06:12 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Bmusg, I owe you an appology. Since the last time I checked Ohlins bushings V/S spherical bearings, the price has sky-rocked on them. The spherical bearings now cost $21 retail and the rubber O-Rings and steel end eye unit costs $10.55. You are correct in the statement "It must be a special bushing indeed if it is more expensive than a bearing" but you were correct in the beginning. If Ohlins thought that spherical bearings were better for a Harley application than Ohlins would make the shocks that way in the beginning & just charge more to cover the cost. There is an issue with weeping seal heads when they are solidly mounted as per Sweden & OhlinsUSA/Mike Hensley.

No offense but, just because a gentleman from Ohlin says there mounting system is the best does not make it so for all brands. I take exception to making it sound like anything Ohlin does is always the best way and all other brands are second or third rate. It may be the best for there shocks and it might be the best in some peoples opinion, I respect that. The brands that use spherical bearings state that they are doing it best, I never buy that claim either. It's all about the overall package, how it rides and handles and the warranty should anything go bad. There is a long list of components that go into the buying decision process, easy installation with spherical bearings is just one of them. Ohlin is a great suspension product from what others say but so are some other brands.

Old 02-01-2016 | 06:28 PM
wparente
Cruiser

Like TJ316 said, if it's so put it in writing. None the less I haven't heard bad things about Legend but just skeptical about claims not in writing when the warranty says otherwise.

Old 02-01-2016 | 06:47 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wparente
Like TJ316 said, if it's so put it in writing. None the less I haven't heard bad things about Legend but just skeptical about claims not in writing when the warranty says otherwise.

I have it in writing. Additionally, all there advertising says " Lifetime Warranty" not Limited Lifetime Warranty. I sent Legend a email asking them to explain there warranty, they sent me back a email explaining just what I have been saying. They take care of there customers and offer a lifetime warranty. They even gave a example of rebuilding air shocks that were purchased 12 or 13 years ago. They are the real deal. Owned by a guy that loves Harley's, rides Harleys and supports the riders. There Harley suspension products were designed for Harleys from scratch, all components made at there Sturgis S.D. facility. Again, not saying they are the best in the world because I don't know. Just saying they sure deliver what I was looking for and have done the same for others that post reviews.

Old 02-01-2016 | 07:06 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

Look at their warranty , it says Lifetime Warranty, then read the last line in the first paragraph it says Limited Life Time , also your shocks are new and I hope you have no issues but you can offer no first hand experience on what they will or will not do until you need them . You bought a product and so far you are happy with them that's all you can honestly attest to.

Old 02-01-2016 | 07:39 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scottt
No offense but, just because a gentleman from Ohlin says there mounting system is the best does not make it so for all brands. I take exception to making it sound like anything Ohlin does is always the best way and all other brands are second or third rate. It may be the best for there shocks and it might be the best in some peoples opinion, I respect that. The brands that use spherical bearings state that they are doing it best, I never buy that claim either. It's all about the overall package, how it rides and handles and the warranty should anything go bad. There is a long list of components that go into the buying decision process, easy installation with spherical bearings is just one of them. Ohlin is a great suspension product from what others say but so are some other brands.
What is the matter with you? I have never referred or tried to start or enter any part of a post you are participating in. There is no offense because I ignore your posts and what you have to say. You come on this site and on every post you are jamming your/this product down every post concerning suspension there is. Now please do not think I am offending you as I want nothing to do with you and never have. This is not my site and it is the powers who be run it the way they like. Please remove everything out of your mind that you think pertains to you from me. If you can actually read, you will see this aforementioned post is directed directly to Bmusg and has absolutely nothing to do with you. I do not wish to go over this again so move on with absolute confidence that whatever I post either after this single post will have nothing to do with you. Thank You

Last edited by FastHarley; 02-01-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-01-2016 | 08:02 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

What is the matter with you? I have never referred or tried to start or enter any part of a post you are participating in. There is no offense because I ignore your posts and what you have to say. You come on this site and on every post you are jamming your/this product down every post concerning suspension there is. Now please do not think I am offending you as I want nothing to do with you and never have. This is not my site and it is the powers who be run it the way they like. Please remove everything out of your mind that you think pertains to you from me. If you can actually read, you will see this aforementioned post is directed directly to Bmusg and has absolutely nothing to do with you. I do not wish to go over this again so move on with absolute confidence that whatever I post either after this single post will have nothing to do with you. Thank You
Your reply really says it all.

Old 02-01-2016 | 08:11 PM
Bmusg
Tourer

No worries, thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Ohlin Shock Boot?