Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlin Shock Boot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016 | 07:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Originally Posted by skypilot_one
I saw the photos posted of the dirty shock guts. I want to know how the dirt gets past the seals on a pressurized shock when there's no oil leaking out...

It makes sense to keep the shaft clean to protect the seals from damage.
Let's think this through! When did any of us get underneath our auto and check how clean its shocks and damper rods are? They are subjected to a darned sight worst environment than any of our bikes experience. So lets stop wrapping stuff in cotton wool..... Ride until they pack up, repair or replace and ride!

Old 01-29-2016 | 07:36 AM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

Graham, Can you answer my question?

Old 01-29-2016 | 07:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Graham, Can you answer my question?
It equally applies to a set of front forks. There are sources of dirt and wear inside them, with microscopic particles wearing away from the seals and other moving/sliding components. Same applies in an extreme way with the primary. Put clean oil in, a few thousand miles later take out filthy stuff, complete with metal particles on the magnetic drain plug. The order of magnitude of the particles is different in those two cases, but the principle is the same - the 'dirt' comes from the various moving parts within.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-29-2016 | 08:11 AM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

So it really has nothing to do with keeping the outside clean...

Old 01-29-2016 | 08:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

So it really has nothing to do with keeping the outside clean...
No, perhaps I should have said that earlier. All things that have moving parts inside a sealed body of some sort will generate 'dirt'.

Old 01-29-2016 | 08:38 AM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

Originally Posted by grbrown
No, perhaps I should have said that earlier. All things that have moving parts inside a sealed body of some sort will generate 'dirt'.
Fork oil does get filthy from bushing wear particles. My original HD/Showa air shock oil was still clean after 30,000 miles. A little dark, but clean.

Old 01-29-2016 | 09:23 AM
Bmusg
Tourer

Fork oil does get filthy from bushing wear particles. My original HD/Showa air shock oil was still clean after 30,000 miles. A little dark, but clean.
Even more of a problem if the shocks aren't aligned properly. If they're in a slight bind, they will prematurely wear out the seals. Another reason to look for a product with spherical bearings in the mounts.

Old 01-29-2016 | 08:37 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

Why don't Ohlins have spherical bearings, especially when used with a rubber mounted swingarm?

Old 01-29-2016 | 09:12 PM
wparente
Cruiser

Skypilot - I'm with you on the spherical bearings. I have an Ultra Limited in the garage that has all of 7 miles on it. I decided to bite the bullet right off the bat and put a set of Ohlin's on it. At Howard's insistence, I carefully measured the relationship of the mounting points for the shocks only to find out they they were an 1/8 to 3/16 out of alignment! Hard to believe they weld these things up in a fixture and can't get it a little closer. I'm sure that the problem is the rubber swing-arm bushing offsetting to one side but still........

Old 01-29-2016 | 09:50 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by buell95
I think the covers for the atv are alot thicker material,what i am talking about is making some covers using the same material
as like a air filter sock that is breathable anybody in the sewing bussiness can do this for you with the furnished material
some velcro and elastic.
That is exactly what I am talking about, the same stuff that is for an air filter cover Shock Wears that I used in MX, they do hold in heat , but do what you want. I will even give you a link.http://www.powersportsplace.com/part...UHWRoC5B_w_wcB

Quick Reply: Ohlin Shock Boot?