Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlin Shock Boot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016 | 09:29 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by buell95
I have seen covers on shocks mostly 4x4s off roading they just wrap around
and attach with Velcro, made out of the same material the air filter shocks are made out of. if you air filter still breaths with covers on it I would think your shocks would get air also.
They are called Shock Wears , and they do hold in heat too. I mentioned them to Howard when I got my shocks, and he said he is not a fan, because of the heat being held in.

Old 01-25-2016 | 09:34 PM
buell95
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bill03E
They are called Shock Wears , and they do hold in heat too. I mentioned them to Howard when I got my shocks, and he said he is not a fan, because of the heat being held in.

Have you tried them and know this for a fact?

Old 01-26-2016 | 04:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by traildog
Sir Graham,
How many miles on your Ohlins? How often do you have them serviced?
The only service they have had is an occasional wash! We've done around 10k miles, mostly on touring trips.

Old 01-26-2016 | 05:39 AM
traildog
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
The only service they have had is an occasional wash! We've done around 10k miles, mostly on touring trips.
Thanks. Ride safe!

Old 01-26-2016 | 06:12 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

Might be just as effective to clean the shocks when you clean the bike, and you'll see what condition the shocks are in as well. Mine don't get too dirty, and they get a bath every now and then.

Old 01-26-2016 | 06:58 AM
traildog
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RKZen
Might be just as effective to clean the shocks when you clean the bike, and you'll see what condition the shocks are in as well. Mine don't get too dirty, and they get a bath every now and then.
I'm REALLY **** l about keeping my bikes clean.. (ask the EVO guys) so, I'm going to forget about the "required maintenance", get them set up, and RIDE!

Old 01-27-2016 | 11:13 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

if you have remote reservoir shocks heat is much less an issue

Old 01-27-2016 | 11:51 AM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by buell95
Have you tried them and know this for a fact?
I used to race an ATV ,and used them for a while until rebuild cost got out of control, and I found I could go 2 times as long between rebuilds without the shock wears on a mx track. My MX ohlins were remote reservoir shocks too, some say that heat is less of an issue with them, but not really true on an MX quad.
Howard told me that the stickers on the shocks that he has been rebuilding have been burnt on , so I would say heat on a Harley shock gets pretty hot too.

Old 01-28-2016 | 06:45 AM
buell95
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bill03E
I used to race an ATV ,and used them for a while until rebuild cost got out of control, and I found I could go 2 times as long between rebuilds without the shock wears on a mx track. My MX ohlins were remote reservoir shocks too, some say that heat is less of an issue with them, but not really true on an MX quad.
Howard told me that the stickers on the shocks that he has been rebuilding have been burnt on , so I would say heat on a Harley shock gets pretty hot too.
I think the covers for the atv are alot thicker material,what i am talking about is making some covers using the same material
as like a air filter sock that is breathable anybody in the sewing bussiness can do this for you with the furnished material
some velcro and elastic.

Old 01-29-2016 | 07:29 AM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

I saw the photos posted of the dirty shock guts. I want to know how the dirt gets past the seals on a pressurized shock when there's no oil leaking out...

It makes sense to keep the shaft clean to protect the seals from damage.

BTW, Ohlins latest shock designs are TTX (twin tube), what's old is new

They allow retuning the shim stacks without complete disassembly and the compression and rebound adjusters are side by side.

Last edited by skypilot_one; 01-29-2016 at 07:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Ohlin Shock Boot?