Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Shields on CVO Mufflers??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 06:40 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Heat Shields on CVO Mufflers??????

I installed CVO mufflers on my EG with Fullsac baffles. The Mufflers have heat shields and I'm wondering why? The heat shields are fastened with 3 hose clamps that can be seen from the rear if you don't have bag fillers and you can also see the screws on the clamps from the side if you look hard enough. The seam of the heat shield is also noticeable where the end cap attaches to the muffler.
I'm wondering if most or any riders run these mufflers without the heat shields. Personally I don't see the purpose for them because the mufflers have nice chrome on them just like any other muffler.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:55 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I bought a set of 2015 CVO take off's after reading about them here on the forum. I was surprised to find heat shields on them, and assumed that underneath the heat shield I would find a plain metal muffler, such as the V&H Monster Ovals that had similar heat shields. Instead, as you mention, there is a beautifully chromed muffer.

The newer bikes have a heat problem far greater than I have on my '06, and I assume that is why there are heat shields on the 110" engine's mufflers. I installed these CVO pipes on my TC88 without the heatshields. One of them does have a slight scratch from the hose clamp that held on the heat shield, but it's not noticeable unless you look for it.

How do you like your Fullsac baffles? I love the sound of my stock CVO pipes, with just the center baffle plate removed from each one. Nice, non tinny rumble at idle, throaty sound while accelerating, and quiet going down the highway at a steady speed.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:04 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MNPGRider

How do you like your Fullsac baffles? I love the sound of my stock CVO pipes, with just the center baffle plate removed from each one. Nice, non tinny rumble at idle, throaty sound while accelerating, and quiet going down the highway at a steady speed.
I only have about 100 miles on them so far because of the bad weather but so far I do like them.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:42 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Cosmetic. Once they get scratched over the years pull them off and there sits a new muffler.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:49 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Cosmetic. Once they get scratched over the years pull them off and there sits a new muffler.
Well, I would think if they were on for years, those hose clamps would have done a pretty good job on them. Mine were only a "1000 mile" take-off, and one hose clamp had already scratched.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:50 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Well, I would think if they were on for years, those hose clamps would have done a pretty good job on them. Mine were only a "1000 mile" take-off, and one hose clamp had already scratched.
My CVO's also came off a 2015 so they are fairly new. I think I'm going to take the shields off and store them. If the mufflers ever get tarnished then I can put them on and it will be like new all over again.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:15 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,725 Likes on 844 Posts

I run mine without the shields.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:07 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
My CVO's also came off a 2015 so they are fairly new. I think I'm going to take the shields off and store them. If the mufflers ever get tarnished then I can put them on and it will be like new all over again.
That's exactly the way I'm thinking. If I ever sell or trade the bike, I'll take them off, put the heat shields back on, and they'll look like new when I resell them on eBay.