Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jiffy stand strength

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 10:06 AM
nuttbaggerr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default jiffy stand strength

I read somewhere here (maybe it was a Safetyman post?) that by mechanical design there is almost NO WAY the jiffy stand of an HD touring bike can collapse when the bike's weight is on it. That's great info and good to know.

My question is: How strong of a hold does the jiffy stand have on a fully fueled and lubricated touring bike like a RoadGlide, for instance? At what degree of an angle (short of 90-degrees, of course lol) will the jiffy stand collapse, lose it hold, and cause the bike to roll forward? How stout are the parts of the jiffy stand assembly?

There may be times (though very, very rare,,,and I have a strong back and strong legs to push back against my C&C backrest...for now anyway lol) when I have to park my bike on a downward slope (yup...I HATE IT!). I'd want to be able park on a downward slope with some semblance of confidence with the jiffy stand and don't want to have any mishaps if I can avoid it. Thanks for helping out with this knowledge!

Old 01-22-2016, 10:33 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

If you park on a slope, be sure to leave it in gear.

I've stated numerous times that I pushed my bike all over the garage on the stand. I imagine it would take quite a bit to bend that tab, and the stand will skid before that point.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:44 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Based on the design of the stand, if the motorcycle is not righted and the leaning weight of it remains on the stand, forward (downhill) forces would need to be sufficient to shear the block at the top of the stand, or break the channel it fits into. This eventuality would require an almost absurd parking angle to accomplish, I would surely think.

Now, if someone, innocently or otherwise, dicks with, sits on, leans against, or touches with their car,, your bike in your absence, all bets are off as regards the jiffy stand. Righting the downhill facing bike will collapse the stand.Truth be known, I wouldn't be at all surprised if **** like this were the real culprit when owners return to a bike on its side, the assumed victim of a failed jiffy stand. For this reason, I like to park in gear against engine resistance, in case some "didn't mean any harm" Millennial gets curious in my absence, or careless with his car. "Sometimes paranoia is cheaper than reason.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:50 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,170 Posts

The HD jiffy stand is pretty strong. Very very rare they fail. Once the weight of the bike is on the stand, it's pretty hard to roll the bike forward, so you can park on a slope.

This video has been around awhile, but at the 1:00 mark shows the stand demo.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:01 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,417 Likes on 1,585 Posts

The stand itself is strong. I can't testify to all the stops or channels.
I do know I don't put my weight on it once the stand is down getting on or off, however I have a friend with short legs and he get on his bikes and then his wife gets on before he ever take it off the stand and that is about 500lbs + the bike so I never worry.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:06 AM
wparente
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I personally think the bike would roll down hill (if the hill was steep enough) dragging the stand in the down position before the jiffy stand would collapse. If it rolled far enough and long enough then there might be some issues.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:37 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by RKZen
The HD jiffy stand is pretty strong. Very very rare they fail. Once the weight of the bike is on the stand, it's pretty hard to roll the bike forward, so you can park on a slope.

This video has been around awhile, but at the 1:00 mark shows the stand demo.
How to pick up a Harley Road King - YouTube
Thats wild watching her push the bike back and forth and seeing the stand bend a little but hold the bike weight. Wow. Would never think to try that unless not seeing that video.

When I fist got the RGC, the first couple days a would get the bike on the stand, then go back two or three times to make sure the stand was open fully. I was always thinking it "looks" like it is going to fall over.

When I park on any inclide, I put in gear too. Better safe than screwed.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:44 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,372 Likes on 5,506 Posts

HD jiffy stand is one thing they got right . There is none better. It is stronger than you may think. Just to prove a point to some one. In the grass also. Turn sound down windy day.

http://vid259.photobucket.com/albums...202011/002.mp4

Last edited by smitty901; 01-22-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:46 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Here are a few pictures to show how it's built. I saw one failure where the square end of the jiffy stand leg broke off, it was on a bike I bought that had been in a wreck.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:58 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,418 Likes on 2,036 Posts

I saw my bike head on down the road by its self on the stand during the Big Bear earthquake. The stand held it just fine till I caught up. It moved about 10 feet.

Quick Reply: jiffy stand strength