Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision / Tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 05:53 PM
smalls78
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Power Vision / Tuning question

Folks, I recently installed new headers, AC, and PowerVision tuner...all utilizing my current RCX 4" slip ons. FLHXS 2015

I've flashed the Fuel Moto map and completed auto tune (in 45deg weather, not sure if that matters). When I first installed the head pipes I started the bike for sound purposes, and noticed the bike had a rich fuel/exhaust smell to it. Expected that, no worries. But after doing the flash and auto tune I would've thought this would go away, yet it continues to have a rich fuel/exhaust smell. It did improve after flash and auto tune, but it's still there. When I'm done riding I smell like my father in laws old Impala Super Sport! The girls love it, but it's too much!

Is this normal? What about a leak at the exhaust ports? Is the tune too rich?

Thanks for help, I need it.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:33 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

I would be surprised if an exhaust leak would make things smell that rich. That would be one hell of an exhaust leak, and the bike would also be running pretty poor, which you did not mention.

I too have a PV, and have run countless AT sessions. Literally too may to remember without plugging in the PV and looking. I wasn't completely happy until I took it to a good dyno tuner and let him dial it in on the dynomometer. I am now convinced that the substitution for a tune at the hands of a good tuner doesn't exist. Close... yes, but spot on....nope. Not in my world anyway.

Now get ready...there are many that will disagree with me, but at least I am no longer down in a rabbit hole trying to figure out why I'm close, but just not quite "there" any longer.

The PV is a great tool, no doubt. It's no sub for the real thing though. So my suggestion to anyone in your shoes would be to start with a spot on tune from the hands of a good tuner using his dyno, and play around with AT's from there based on different riding schedules and such.

Good luck.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:45 PM
smalls78
Road Captain

The bike is running good. I'm still having small amounts of popping on decel, but primarily when blipping the throttle. It's the smell that's getting to me. I too think an exhaust leak would be odd. I did the install myself.

On my previous WideGlide the bike was tuned with a SERT and dealer dyno by the previous owner. Never had an issue.

I'm not bashing the PV at all. This is just new to me using an auto tuner and I'm hoping the rich smell is something that can be fixed.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:25 PM
Jon_S412
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was running the same setup on my bike a while back. In place of the power vision I was using a micro tuner. I also thought I has an exhaust leak coming from the head pipe after I installed. Noticed my slip ons were getting pretty dirty with extra fuel burn off. I was told no bike runs the same no matter what conditions and it's just a broad tune to flash into the bike. After my bike was fully tuned with a power commander V zero pop and very little build up. I'm not a pro just talking from experience on what I had going on with mine. I'm sure someone will chime in!

Old 01-13-2016, 07:26 PM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I just installed a PV on my 16 SGS. New headers and slip ons but kept the stock air cleaner. The bike runs great and no fuel smell. Of course, Fuel Moto provided the PV along with a tune for my set up. I am very pleased. At some point I will run the auto tune feature but for now, just enjoying the ride!!

Old 01-13-2016, 07:34 PM
smalls78
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JHC210
I just installed a PV on my 16 SGS. New headers and slip ons but kept the stock air cleaner. The bike runs great and no fuel smell. Of course, Fuel Moto provided the PV along with a tune for my set up. I am very pleased. At some point I will run the auto tune feature but for now, just enjoying the ride!!
I have the Fuel Moto tune that come on the PV for setup as well.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:07 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Man, like I told you before, give Busted Knuckle a call. Have a conversation with Mark. He's been working on Harley's for over 30 years. He does all the custom work for Tilleys. And, he's a cool dude. He's in the game for the love of the ride. Man, just give him a call or ride out to lake Norman and talk to him. Tell him Ted referred you.
704-660-0316.
That's his shops number.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Have you contacted Fuel Moto yet? From what I've seen here on the forum, they seem to be very customer service oriented, perhaps they could give you some help getting things dialed in.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:23 PM
smalls78
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Brewmany
Have you contacted Fuel Moto yet? From what I've seen here on the forum, they seem to be very customer service oriented, perhaps they could give you some help getting things dialed in.
I have not yet. Was hoping for some positive feedback of others who may have had similar issues when first installing. And yes, they do have great customer service. Maybe it just needs more auto tune.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:30 PM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
+1 on calling FM. They should be able to help you out. If you have any decel popping at all do a thorough leak check. I have a PV from Fuel Moto and my tune is so spot on I never bothered to do any Auto Tune runs. If you ran the auto tune sessions in cold weather maybe that had something to do with it. How many miles did you ride when you auto tuned?

Quick Reply: Power Vision / Tuning question