Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision / Tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 11:30 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by JHC210
Ok. Thanks. Beautiful day here in Central Texas!!!
Depending on how long you stop you should let the bike reach operating temp before you resume auto-tuning. A cold engine will add fuel "warm up enrichment" this added to the richer Auto tune map will make the bike run poorly.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:47 AM
smalls78
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
Depending on how long you stop you should let the bike reach operating temp before you resume auto-tuning. A cold engine will add fuel "warm up enrichment" this added to the richer Auto tune map will make the bike run poorly.
Good info. Not being a douche, but how do you know this? I guess I mean, how did you learn this info. (nothing smart *** about my question, being serious)

Old 01-31-2016, 01:14 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by smalls78
Good info. Not being a douche, but how do you know this? I guess I mean, how did you learn this info. (nothing smart *** about my question, being serious)
Last spring someone stopped for lunch while auto tuning and posted that his bike was hard to start and didn't run well for a while. The discussion pointed to Warm up enrichment.

Some method of Warm up enrichment is done on almost all engines. Open WinPV - Help - Contents and scroll down to read their description of Warm up enrichment.

In Auto Tune the AFR table is set to one value: Basic is 14.6 so it shouldn't be too rich but in Auto tune Pro the AFR is set to 13.0 so this would be more noticeable.

In a warm climate you might not see a problem.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:57 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,221 Likes on 4,418 Posts

Originally Posted by JHC210
Ready to go on a run to auto tune. Question, I plan on a couple hour ride but will be stopping along the way for a cold beverage, will the auto tune start right up after I turn the bike back on and continue or will I have to start all over?
Check the fuelmoto web site.... they have videos explaining the auto tune procedure. I'm pretty sure that if you are data logging in basic auto tune, it saves the info every so often. As long as you leave it in AT, I think you can do stops & starts, and will only lose up to a few minutes of your data logging per stop/start. For 2 hour session, that shouldn't amount to much.

As suggested, it might be better to just end and save suggested changes when you stop. Then start a new auto session with the the changed tune and continue in that manner.....

I'm not sure if multiple shorter AT sessions are better than a long one....

Old 02-01-2016, 06:11 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,162 Likes on 1,355 Posts

We generally recommend Auto Tune sessions of 20-30 minutes of mixed riding, it does not generally come down to how much time you take it's how much data is collected. O2 sensors work best in steady state, try to be smooth on the throttle and hold the RPM's stead, concentrate on any area's you may be seeing a not so perfect tune.

One important step is to set the Minimum MAP on the main AT screen under Settings. We generally recommend setting this to 30Kpa for most applications, this will prevent data collection in the transient fuel-decel area where using O2 data could potentially overcorrect the VE tables.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following users liked this post:
trekez2 (03-17-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 10:46 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,221 Likes on 4,418 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
We generally recommend Auto Tune sessions of 20-30 minutes of mixed riding, it does not generally come down to how much time you take it's how much data is collected. O2 sensors work best in steady state, try to be smooth on the throttle and hold the RPM's stead, concentrate on any area's you may be seeing a not so perfect tune.

One important step is to set the Minimum MAP on the main AT screen under Settings. We generally recommend setting this to 30Kpa for most applications, this will prevent data collection in the transient fuel-decel area where using O2 data could potentially overcorrect the VE tables.
Good info.... thanks

Old 02-02-2016, 02:35 PM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto

Hmm. I ran my tune for about an hour. Varying speeds, accelerating on to the highway, etc. I didn't adjust the MAP. I can say after the run and flash of the new tune, she runs way better than stock. Very smooth, no popping, great acceleration. Really impressed. I would like to know what horsepower and torque I gained without going to a dyno machine. Any thoughts FM?

Old 02-05-2016, 02:43 PM
smalls78
Road Captain

Update:
It was the exhaust gaskets...and may or may not have been the install of the O2 sensors "backwards" [lol]

Old 03-08-2016, 03:54 PM
smalls78
Road Captain

4 autotune sessions on the Fuel Moto base map and all is right! Bike runs damn good!! Easiest tuner ever.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:34 PM
smalls78
Road Captain

Originally Posted by smalls78
4 autotune sessions on the Fuel Moto base map and all is right! Bike runs damn good!! Easiest tuner ever.
Heavily thinking of switching from 4" slips to a 4.5"slip. I believe I currently have a 2.5" baffle and the new ones will have a 3" "stepped" baffle. Any concern for a need to change to a new MAP?
FuelMoto is so spot on, but it runs so good now, just don't want to mess with it if I don't have to.
All you PV tuner heads out there, thanks for input!

Quick Reply: Power Vision / Tuning question