Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision / Tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 01:58 PM
smalls78
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Ran 50mi auto tune with varying ride style, including some highway. Got the RPMs up to 5k on a few straightaways. Completed and loaded the new tune. Then rode about 5mi home and could notice a BIG difference. Will need more time to ride again. Gotta get to work.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:26 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by smalls78
Ran 50mi auto tune with varying ride style, including some highway. Got the RPMs up to 5k on a few straightaways. Completed and loaded the new tune. Then rode about 5mi home and could notice a BIG difference. Will need more time to ride again. Gotta get to work.

Congrats. Glad you're happy. I plan on auto-tuning on Monday, since its a holiday.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:54 PM
smalls78
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kryingame
Congrats. Glad you're happy. I plan on auto-tuning on Monday, since its a holiday.
You get out today? The sun and blue sky were a bit deceiving of the cold.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:25 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Auto tuning in weather that cold will give poor results when you get back in summer temps. Was told never to try auto tune under 50-60 deg weather. Will throw ve out of whack and your idle should always be in open loop. It should have a somewhat rich smell as that is what will keep your motor cool in the hot temps unless you have a wet head.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:11 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
Auto tuning in weather that cold will give poor results when you get back in summer temps. Was told never to try auto tune under 50-60 deg weather. Will throw ve out of whack and your idle should always be in open loop. It should have a somewhat rich smell as that is what will keep your motor cool in the hot temps unless you have a wet head.
Thats why Target Tune is such a great improvment, no more autotune sessions and runs your tune under all conditions.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:52 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by smalls78
You get out today? The sun and blue sky were a bit deceiving of the cold.
I'm gonna wait until it warms up again. I stayed in, playing PS4 and enjoying Gentleman's Jack. lol

Old 01-27-2016, 06:27 AM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Auto Tune plus gauge observation

Finally installed the PV on the handlebar and set up the gauges to monitor mpg, throttle position, engine temp and volts. What are others monitoring? I have noticed since my initial tune, my mpg has dropped to below 35. I need to run a full tank to get a better average but it does seem low.

Question, I am ready to run an Auto Tune. Can you run an auto tune and also observe your gauges or will the PV only log one task at a time?

Old 01-27-2016, 10:33 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,162 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by JHC210
Finally installed the PV on the handlebar and set up the gauges to monitor mpg, throttle position, engine temp and volts. What are others monitoring? I have noticed since my initial tune, my mpg has dropped to below 35. I need to run a full tank to get a better average but it does seem low.

Question, I am ready to run an Auto Tune. Can you run an auto tune and also observe your gauges or will the PV only log one task at a time?
When you are in Auto Tune mode you need to be on the green Auto Tune histogram screen for it to populate correction data, it does display primary engine data (MAP, ET, ect..) while on this screen in small print at the top of the screen. You can however exit the AT screen and go to your guage screens at any time during this process and the Auto Tune data is saved, when you return to the AT screen it will continue where it left off.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 01-27-2016, 02:31 PM
smalls78
Road Captain

I love that Fuel Moto themselves come here and answer the questions. Strong work!

Old 01-27-2016, 08:50 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

There is a sticky thread over in the tuning sub-forum that has about a million posts on the PV. These things aren't silver bullets, you need to know a little about electronic engine control theory. Maybe I'm just a tweaker, but I've run hundreds of AT sessions over time as I make changes to the bike. I have multiple 'production' tunes I keep stored in the PV for different reasons. I also review the logs with Megalogviewer HD to see what the bike is really doing while I ride it during an AT run.

Every engine breathes differently even given the same mods, and continuous tuning helps dial in YOUR engine's personality. You can't take a vendor's tune for your package, do a couple of AT sessions and expect it will be a great tune.

I don't know it all (not even close), just saying that expectations should be set appropriately. You can have the best of both worlds, crazy on acceleration and great mileage while cruising, you just have to do more than run a couple of AT sessions and have and understanding of what's going on in the ECM.

Quick Reply: Power Vision / Tuning question