Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision / Tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 08:36 PM
smalls78
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by KSGLIDEGUY
+1 on calling FM. They should be able to help you out. If you have any decel popping at all do a thorough leak check. I have a PV from Fuel Moto and my tune is so spot on I never bothered to do any Auto Tune runs. If you ran the auto tune sessions in cold weather maybe that had something to do with it. How many miles did you ride when you auto tuned? Did you try the tune that FM sent you without any tweaks to it?
Your entire response is everything I keep thinking about.
1) I'm paranoid about a leak from the exhaust port because I know the new gasket crushed a little when I installed. But I also think I could be OCD about it. I feel no leaks to that area. The gasket would've sealed around the pipe as I torqued the nut down anyways.
2) Running auto tune in cold weather...maybe not so good.
3) I ran auto tune for only about 20 miles.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:08 PM
smalls78
Road Captain

Ok plan;

Ride tomm with auto tune for longer period of time.
If it still seems to run rich I'll notify FM.
Then, poss call Busted Knuckle.

Thanks I'll update later.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:20 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

FM actually says you should run at least 3 autotunes of around 20 - 30 minutes each to really dial it in - so import the map FM sent you, run autotune off the map - save it, run the 2nd autotune off the 1st autotune & then save it, then run the 3rd autotune off the 2nd autotune - save it and flash it to the bike.
As far as an exhaust leak, start the bike and put a piece of smoldering paper near it and see if you see any air movement from the smoke

Old 01-13-2016, 09:32 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
Man, like I told you before, give Busted Knuckle a call. Have a conversation with Mark. He's been working on Harley's for over 30 years. He does all the custom work for Tilleys. And, he's a cool dude. He's in the game for the love of the ride. Man, just give him a call or ride out to lake Norman and talk to him. Tell him Ted referred you. 704-660-0316. That's his shops number.
Your cover has been blown Mr.. Starks.

Originally Posted by smalls78
Your entire response is everything I keep thinking about. 1) I'm paranoid about a leak from the exhaust port because I know the new gasket crushed a little when I installed. But I also think I could be OCD about it. I feel no leaks to that area. The gasket would've sealed around the pipe as I torqued the nut down anyways. 2) Running auto tune in cold weather...maybe not so good. 3) I ran auto tune for only about 20 miles.
Use the smoke from a cigar or cigarette around the exhaust port to check for leaks. Cold weather shouldn't affect the tune to the degree that your stating. You also need to run several auto tune sessions. Reflash the new tune back to the bike after each auto tune.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:20 PM
Wmitz
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

I find that longer tune sessions work a little better for me. Mine last around 40-50 miles each. By the third session I'm usually less than 2% change. It is important when you get home to download the results and take a look at where the changes are. If you are missing areas you'll be able to see it, and can concentrate on hitting those areas. Hills/2up are great for the higher load areas. Take your time, high speed is not needed.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:50 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,927 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Originally Posted by smalls78
Folks, I recently installed new headers, AC, and PowerVision tuner...all utilizing my current RCX 4" slip ons. FLHXS 2015
You have removed your catalytic converter, now your bike makes more pollution, you cant tune that out or call for help. Put the cat back on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

Old 01-14-2016, 10:07 AM
smalls78
Road Captain

Originally Posted by OldMike
You have removed your catalytic converter, now your bike makes more pollution, you cant tune that out or call for help. Put the cat back on.

Thanks for the 101. I'm good.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,869 Likes on 19,345 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike

Actually you can tune that out. Many vehicles cleaner without the converter in the system. The primary purpose of the converter is to act as a fail-safe in the event of the malfunction of other components in the system. Been there and done that in the days of mandatory emissions testing in Michigan. Using "sniffers" we regularly beat the numbers without a converter.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:25 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,162 Likes on 1,355 Posts

While you will likely benefit from some fine tuning, your bike should not be rich. It has closed loop fuel control, if it would be overly rich for some reason it would set an engine code. This first thing I would do is check the O2 sensor installation and make sure the sensors are installed correctly front to rear, the rear cylinder sensor has a black plug, front cylinder sensor has a grey plug. I would also read back the engine codes with your Power Vision and see what shows up. If you need any assistance you are welcome to contact us.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 01-14-2016, 10:55 AM
smalls78
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
While you will likely benefit from some fine tuning, your bike should not be rich. It has closed loop fuel control, if it would be overly rich for some reason it would set an engine code. This first thing I would do is check the O2 sensor installation and make sure the sensors are installed correctly front to rear, the rear cylinder sensor has a black plug, front cylinder sensor has a grey plug. I would also read back the engine codes with your Power Vision and see what shows up. If you need any assistance you are welcome to contact us.
You guys rock! Customer service is not in question. Gonna run a longer auto tune today and ensure no leaks etc again. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Power Vision / Tuning question