Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led Headlight and passing lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:31 PM
jimmyk61
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led Headlight and passing lights

I have a 07 Ultra Classic and have been thinking of changing the head and passing lights to LED. The more I look into them the more confused I get. I've found bulbs that claim to be a bright as Harley's new OME daylights and I have found knock offs from $189.00 on up. then of course there is Harley's lights that cost about the same as my first born child. The bottom line is I'm looking for input and advise.

Thank you in advance

Old 01-10-2016, 09:10 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

they don;t make it easy- or cheap.

my first stop on my 09 was a HD dual halogen headlight, this was much better than the stock headlight ( which was much better than the stock on the '95...)

I then upgraded my high beam with a piaa extreme H9 and altered the low beam to take a higher wattage H9 bulb in place of teh H11.

this gives pretty good light and it is well focused and directed.

there are LED "bulb" kits which can be used - they produce MUCH more light and use much less power- but the light is unfocused.

there is a thread here, where we decide who likes them, who doesn;t- with pics:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...headlight.html

then there are complete replacement leds- trucklite TL7 seems to be a favorite- pricing varies on the web so look around. wiring and mounting has been discussed as well- there are threads.

one thing with these is I ( me) don;t think the light spread is wide enough- for the rider through corners, or in traffic- I know that I see Motorcycle conventional headlights better in traffic at a side angle, and further away than I do LEDS.

I am back to halogens on my dual halogen light and after trying leds, glad for what i have.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-10-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:35 PM
black n white
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded an'08 RK Classic with all the lights for a'13 Street Glide. Installed the day maker headlight. Was great going straight, couldn't ask for more on a bike, but I hated it in curves. Imagine folding a paper plate in half then hold the plate with the flat side pointing up. Now tilt the plate as the bike will lean in curves and you will see there is no light projected where you want to look. I then bought and added led driving lights. They helped some but just made a wider flat light. Tried running them cross eyed and everything and never could correct it. This CVO I have now came with LED headlight and I have added the engine guard reflective LED lights Harley has come out with. I'm very happy with this setup. Just set the bar lights to run on hi and lo beam, you'll want it that way

Old 01-10-2016, 09:39 PM
black n white
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also installed hid headlights on a little S 10 show truck and they are great. I saw a plug and play set for bikes on Amazon for @ $50. If I had the old bike, I would sure start with that now.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:56 AM
kydav
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Custom Dymanic has/is coming out with a new LED headlight. I has 5 LEDs (3 for low beam and 2 for hi beam). It expensive but equal to the Harley prices. Might want to look into it. I am waiting for some reviews and examples (photos) of what the beams look like.

Rick

Old 01-11-2016, 03:50 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by black n white
I traded an'08 RK Classic with all the lights for a'13 Street Glide. Installed the day maker headlight. Was great going straight, couldn't ask for more on a bike, but I hated it in curves. Imagine folding a paper plate in half then hold the plate with the flat side pointing up. Now tilt the plate as the bike will lean in curves and you will see there is no light projected where you want to look. I then bought and added led driving lights. They helped some but just made a wider flat light. Tried running them cross eyed and everything and never could correct it. This CVO I have now came with LED headlight and I have added the engine guard reflective LED lights Harley has come out with. I'm very happy with this setup. Just set the bar lights to run on hi and lo beam, you'll want it that way
I had similar problems when I bought one of the original H-D HID headlights, which had two bulbs. Only the dip was HID and the light was so bright that above the beam was like a black velvet curtain! High beam was useless. At the time I couldn't follow your example and easily add extra HID lights, so eventually ditched it. The beam was excellent as a daytime light, as it was extremely wide. I have Trucklites now, but haven't ridden in the dark with them yet.

Last edited by grbrown; 01-11-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:16 PM
Robjr
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

TL Phase 7 with matching passing lamps, awesome set up.
Led Headlight and passing lights-photo900.jpgLed Headlight and passing lights-photo416.jpgLed Headlight and passing lights-photo743.jpg

Old 01-11-2016, 06:27 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

^^^I have the same on my 9 FLHX^^^

Awesome set-up and you can get both (HL + PL) cheaper than one HD DM HL.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:35 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
they don;t make it easy- or cheap.

there are LED "bulb" kits which can be used - they produce MUCH more light and use much less power- but the light is unfocused.
Four of my 5 bikes have been converted to LED (the Hyosung is used for putting around the neighborhood). I can't emphasize the difference in visibility, both seeing and being seen. All of the Harleys have the MOCOs projector LEDs-Pricey? Maybe so, but the light is great and it's focused where it needs to be. The JW Speaker lights seem to be the OEM manufacturer for the MOCO, so this may be a less pricey way to go, and with a better warranty.

For the CBR, I used Cree OPT7 LED bulbs in the existing headlight reflectore in the fairing housing, and the light was completely unfocused because the "point source" of the light was different in the LEDs vs. the stock H7 incandescents, and I had to dick around with the adjustments to get an acceptable pattern to match stock. I'm still not happy with it, but I almost never drive the CBR after dark, and the LEDs ARE scary bright, so at least I can be seen-the difference is remarkable.

Don't take my word for it! Look at bikes on the street and see which are more visible to you. LEDs are money well spent, and a lot less expensive than a hospital bill.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:44 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

I like the HD ones better than the TL7's. With chrome cash they were free so price wasn't an issue

Quick Reply: Led Headlight and passing lights