Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led Headlight and passing lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 09:29 AM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I would definitely look into the Trucklite LEDs before I spent the money on the Harley LEDs. There are threads that compare the two side by side. I put the Trucklite headlamps and passing lamps on both mine and my son's Road Kings as well as my Softtail. I have compared them side by side with my friends Day Makers and there really isnt any difference, except for the cost. I paid $495.00 for the headlight and passing lamps through Custom Dynamics the last time around. The Same lamps through Harley list for $923.00

Which ever you choose the difference is like night and day.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:37 AM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
they don;t make it easy- or cheap.

my first stop on my 09 was a HD dual halogen headlight, this was much better than the stock headlight ( which was much better than the stock on the '95...)

I then upgraded my high beam with a piaa extreme H9 and altered the low beam to take a higher wattage H9 bulb in place of teh H11.

this gives pretty good light and it is well focused and directed.

there are LED "bulb" kits which can be used - they produce MUCH more light and use much less power- but the light is unfocused.

there is a thread here, where we decide who likes them, who doesn;t- with pics:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...headlight.html

then there are complete replacement leds- trucklite TL7 seems to be a favorite- pricing varies on the web so look around. wiring and mounting has been discussed as well- there are threads.

one thing with these is I ( me) don;t think the light spread is wide enough- for the rider through corners, or in traffic- I know that I see Motorcycle conventional headlights better in traffic at a side angle, and further away than I do LEDS.

I am back to halogens on my dual halogen light and after trying leds, glad for what i have.

Mike
I have the Truck lights [all 3] at first i liked them, but during the day [we ride mostly during the day] my wife riding in front of me, can't see me in her mirrors [day time safety] unless i put on my hi beams, so i will be going back to Halogens, and maybe try HID conversion.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:51 AM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rider
Are you using projector or reflector Day Makers? I'm trying to find out what will give me better visibility to be seen by others during the day. I don't do much night riding on my '14 RK.
I went with the projectors, if being seen is your main objective I would go with the standard halogen and put on the modulator kit.

JMO.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:05 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,090 Likes on 629 Posts

Those modulators are effective. My buddy has one and I hate it. It definitely gets your attention. I should say that I hate it when he is behind me.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:10 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cprhed
Those modulators are effective. My buddy has one and I hate it. It definitely gets your attention. I should say that I hate it when he is behind me.
Those dam things make me want to punch someone or have a freakin seizure.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:48 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,090 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by skypilot_one
Those dam things make me want to punch someone or have a freakin seizure.
Yours is a more accurate description of how I feel as well.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:01 PM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If people are interested in the Projector style LED headlights, check out the JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2. JW Speaker makes the Daymaker for HD and the Evo 2 is their most current version and it's suppose to light up the sides of the road better and has a better (wider) beam. If I upgrade my FM LED bulb kit, it will probably be what I go with. Half the price of the HD Daymaker, looks identical, and is gobbs better.

Amazon.com: JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 - 7" Round LED Headlight - Chrome: Automotive Amazon.com: JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 - 7" Round LED Headlight - Chrome: Automotive

Anyone running one of these?

Old 01-12-2016, 03:29 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bill_1202
If people are interested in the Projector style LED headlights, check out the JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2. JW Speaker makes the Daymaker for HD and the Evo 2 is their most current version and it's suppose to light up the sides of the road better and has a better (wider) beam. If I upgrade my FM LED bulb kit, it will probably be what I go with. Half the price of the HD Daymaker, looks identical, and is gobbs better.

Amazon.com: JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 - 7" Round LED Headlight - Chrome: Automotive

Anyone running one of these?
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...headlight.html

Here's the latest lean angle technology

Last edited by skypilot_one; 01-12-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:49 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

after 7 or 8 years with the j w speakers(pre harley era ), still glad i forked over the 850 bucks. upgraded a friends 03 with my 07 stockers.

Seem to like the beams set low to real low...good for me and good for oncoming traffic i suppose.

really upto your eye site and wallet.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:17 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cprhed
Yours is a more accurate description of how I feel as well.
Me too!

Quick Reply: Led Headlight and passing lights