Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another shock question...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:37 AM
Baja38ss
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another shock question...?

Let me first say I apologize for another shock question. Running an 08SG with the factory air shocks lowered with brackets. Usually ridding double 95% of the time.

I've been reading alot on all the upgrades which the general senses on here seem to be the Ohlins. My question is , if I still want the lower look minus the blocks, is there a lower shock that would give a better ride than the current stockers?
I've looked into the Bitchin Baggers but didn't know if that's my only option or not. I get the mechanics going lower, my ride is going to suffer but was looking into options over stock. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Baja38ss
I've been reading alot on all the upgrades which the general senses on here seem to be the Ohlins. My question is , if I still want the lower look minus the blocks, is there a lower shock that would give a better ride than the current stockers?
Yes! HDF sponsor Howard, at Motorcycle Metal and who you have probably read about, builds a greater variety of shock lengths than Ohlins themselves stock, so give him a call. You will find them a world away in ride quality compared with stock shocks.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:48 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Most of the high end companies mentioned in the threads offer lower that STD shocks.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:53 AM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call Motorcycle Metal.

If you really want to ride at that low height, are ok giving up cornering clearance (which you already have) and still have a better ride than what you now have. He has shocks for $800.00 or less that will set you low and everyone says it's the way to go.

If you want a slammed look when parked or cruising the highway but want to raise the bike up for cornering perhaps an air ride system like Legend, but that's like $1850.00

Old 01-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Baja38ss
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info so far. Do I need to know which ones I want before calling Howard? Or can I tell him what I'm looking for and he will suggest accordingly?

Old 01-08-2016, 11:57 AM
lizard86
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info so far. Do I need to know which ones I want before calling Howard? Or can I tell him what I'm looking for and he will suggest accordingly?
Call him, tell him what you want, your expectations and your budget and he will suggest the best route and build the shocks specifically for you.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:58 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Howard will ask you all the right questions about your bike and riding and suggest the shock that works best. There isn't a question you have that he can't answer.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:08 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Review his website carefully, figure out what type of riding you do most, one up two up etc. rider/passanger/luggage weights. Decide how much you are willing to spend. A 2 series emulsified shock will probably suit you best. Unfortunately his site is not the most current. Example: most guys here talk about a 2.5 shock yet there is no listing or photo of that shock on the website.

I would purchase the longest stroke shock you can at the ride height you want. If you buy a 12" shock with 3" stroke your total sag will be about 1" and you will sit at 11". That's the height your lowering blocks have you now but you will gain an inch of travel, in extension.

He will valve and spring them based on your weights, bike and how you ride. He will have you have to fill out the form and or email him with the information so there is no confusion or dispute about what you ordered.

Last edited by skypilot_one; 01-08-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:54 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Before you get all crazy, never loose sight of this number:

Cause any time your upper and lower shock mounting points drops below 9.5 inches, your rear tire hits the fender. If you install 11 inch eye to eye shocks, with even two inches of total travel, your gonna bottom out. Certain shocks are very quick and easy to adjust when a second rider hops on and off. Others are a pain in the ***. And if your expecting any kind of ride quality with a short travel shock, constantly adjusting them to retain that decent ride will be a way of life. If all you do is solo, not so much.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:53 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Before you get all crazy, never loose sight of this number:

Cause any time your upper and lower shock mounting points drops below 9.5 inches, your rear tire hits the fender. If you install 11 inch eye to eye shocks, with even two inches of total travel, your gonna bottom out. Certain shocks are very quick and easy to adjust when a second rider hops on and off. Others are a pain in the ***. And if your expecting any kind of ride quality with a short travel shock, constantly adjusting them to retain that decent ride will be a way of life. If all you do is solo, not so much.
Depending on your modifications & year. I have measured 8.75" on some and this on a 2009~current"

Quick Reply: Another shock question...?