Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake caliper "clicking" when I apply brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Front brake caliper "clicking" when I apply brake

2009 Ultra. When the bike is sitting, not running, and I squeeze the front brake lever there is a click or pop in the right side caliper. If I release the lever and wait a few seconds then reapply, it clicks again. Sometimes if I squeeze the lever rapidly it doesn't click. This continues for as long as I want to pull the lever. I haven't noticed the click while riding and the brakes work fine.

I pulled the caliper and took the pads out. I sprayed the caliper with brake clean and reassembled. I polished up the pad pin. The noise is still there.

Anybody ever run into this?

Last edited by smithbrl; 01-06-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:44 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I would feel the disc while putting on the brake to see if you can feel and locate the click. I would think it is the "cushions " in the rotor. One may have a little play. Don't know if it poses a danger or not.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:09 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Usually that is the brake pads taking up some slack and clicking on the rotors which is probably why it doesn't do it when you apply the brakes rapidly. My 09 and 2010 do this all the time. I haven't ridden the 16 enough to notice it.

Purely speculation on my part. Your idea of a "click" may be different than mine.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:19 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,646 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Likely your caliper pistons are dirty and sticking a bit, letting the pads **** a little upon retraction. The click is the piston squaring onto the back of the pad when you apply the brakes.

Clean the caliper pistons with string and solvent.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:44 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

Oops!

Old 01-07-2016, 05:46 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Default Got it fixed, I hope

Thanks for for the input y'all. I pulled the caliper again and cleaned up the yucky pistons (they had a lot of caked on crap on them). Thanks foxtrapper. I cleaned the rest of the caliper. Even pulled the anti rattle spring and polished it. Put it back together and no click. I'll have to ride it and keep an eye on it but I'm hoping that was all it was. Thanks again.

By the way, I spread the pads all the way apart then installed the caliper and it seems as though the outboard set of pistons is much more extended than the inboard. It was like that before I started the cleanup as well. Is that a problem? I don't like it and hope somebody knows a way to have them extend at least sort of equally.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Click no. Clunk yes when applying front brakes. My clunk was a loose steering head nut.
All good now.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:45 AM
sjoko
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

That clicking sound is created due to the ( too much ) space between te brake pads en the brake callipers.
What happens is this :
When you pull the front brake lever , the brake pads are shooting a little forwards where they hit the internal egde of the callipers ..
When you pull the lever for the second time , you will hear nothing , because they are allready against that edge.
After a while when riding , the pads are moved more backwards , and then when pulling the lever you will hear that "click" again .
This is NOT oke ! ,....after time this is getting worse because the pads are constantly hammering in the callipers which causes more space.
In fact it is a tollerance problem concerning the both parts.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:18 PM
HDFORM
Tourer
Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by sjoko
That clicking sound is created due to the ( too much ) space between te brake pads en the brake callipers.
What happens is this :
When you pull the front brake lever , the brake pads are shooting a little forwards where they hit the internal egde of the callipers ..
When you pull the lever for the second time , you will hear nothing , because they are allready against that edge.
After a while when riding , the pads are moved more backwards , and then when pulling the lever you will hear that "click" again .
This is NOT oke ! ,....after time this is getting worse because the pads are constantly hammering in the callipers which causes more space.
In fact it is a tollerance problem concerning the both parts.
I am Curious how would one repair this tolerance problem?
is it a pad problem or a the caliper problem or both?
I actually thought his Clicking noise was from the Pads hitting the pad pin, there is a lot of slop in the pad pin holes.

Last edited by HDFORM; 08-02-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:05 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,646 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by HDFORM
I am Curious how would one repair this tolerance problem?
is it a pad problem or a the caliper problem or both?
I actually thought his Clicking noise was from the Pads hitting the pad pin, there is a lot of slop in the pad pin holes.
pins just keep the pads from falling out. They take no braking forces. The squeeze comes from the pistons. The drag comes from the front edge of the pads backing plate against the caliper body. You need clearance so things will move. A light lubrication of this interface keeps things moving freely.

The noise was from dirty/sticking caliper pistons letting the pad(s) move too much, mostly out of square to the rotor. Read post #6, it’s from the op and it’s about his resolution of the problem.

Quick Reply: Front brake caliper "clicking" when I apply brake