Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Went and Metal Shavings in Primary

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016 | 06:03 PM
Hades02
Tourer
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Staylebait
Ok I am in there but for the life of me can't get that nut on the clutch hub undone, any tricks you know of to get it loosened?
No real trick to it. I just did mine last week. Leftie loosey, righty tighty. It's not torqued very much unless someone over tightened it.

Old 01-05-2016 | 06:06 PM
rmc115
Road Master

Clutch hub nut is reverse thread, righty loosey. Mike

Old 01-05-2016 | 06:15 PM
Hausguy
Road Master

Originally Posted by rmc115

No it's not.

OP, I always change my primary fluid with the bike on the jiffy stand without spilling so if you were close to spilling but not, you had enough in there.

Old 01-05-2016 | 06:26 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

The "clutch adjustment nut" is not reverse threaded but the "clutch HUB nut" is.

OP, you're not dealing with the clutch hub nut.

Old 01-05-2016 | 06:27 PM
treefiddy
Road Master

Not on mine or in the above vid, strange.

Old 01-05-2016 | 06:33 PM
rmc115
Road Master

hub nut is l/h thread, adj nut r/h thread. excerpt from manual

NOTE
Clutch hub mainshaft nut has left-hand threads.
5. Clean and prime threads of mainshaft nut and apply two
drops of LOCTITE THREADLOCKER 262 (red) to the
threads. Start nut onto mainshaft and hand-tighten.
NOTE
The following step requires that PRIMARY DRIVE LOCKING
TOOL (Part No. HD-48219) be reversed during the procedure.

Back to the original problem. adjustments don't usually change to drastic unless something failed, I would disassemble and check the mainshaft splines, I have seen the splines shear off. That metal came from somewhere

Last edited by rmc115; 01-05-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2016 | 07:09 PM
Staylebait
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skratch
you're assuming that they didn't do the work, when the assumption that you should be making is that they did, but they only put in the 32oz like a lot of old techs do, instead of the 38oz spec. I think that if they didn't change it at all, that it would look a lot dirtier than it does. after 5k, my primary oil is a lot darker than that. I don't get as much 'fuzz' as you have, but that doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.

put the bike in gear, have someone sit on it, and hold the brake.

for getting the proper torque on it when tightening, I use a t-handle allen key, and a 'pass-through' socket from craftsman.
Either way they didn't do their job when trying to sell what they themselves will call a "luxury product."

Yeah tried that and not working. Going to have to get a 11/16" deep socket, lock the drive, and use my breaker bar. That **** is not coming off and I am just tearing up the outside of the nut at this point, so need a deep socket and will have to replace that nut when I get it off.

Thankfully there are no pieces of metal in the primary at all even after running a fridge magnet through there, so I am guessing it just came way out of alignment.

Now the question comes down to if I want to just upgrade that clutch to a better one when I am in there or not since I have the primary off and am in there.

Old 01-05-2016 | 07:15 PM
treefiddy
Road Master

hub nut is l/h thread, adj nut r/h thread. excerpt from manual

NOTE
Clutch hub mainshaft nut has left-hand threads.
5. Clean and prime threads of mainshaft nut and apply two
drops of LOCTITE THREADLOCKER 262 (red) to the
threads. Start nut onto mainshaft and hand-tighten.
NOTE
The following step requires that PRIMARY DRIVE LOCKING
TOOL (Part No. HD-48219) be reversed during the procedure.

Back to the original problem. adjustments don't usually change to drastic unless something failed, I would disassemble and check the mainshaft splines, I have seen the splines shear off. That metal came from somewhere
You're right bud's but if you get him to loosen that nut to the right there will be another issue. Some imagination is required on this lock nut but the fact remains that while it is as you say, we must loosen it from the outside looking in, to the left. Winter.

Old 01-05-2016 | 07:19 PM
Staylebait
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by treefiddy
You're right bud's but if you get him to loosen that nut to the right there will be another issue. Some imagination is required on this lock nut but the fact remains that while it is as you say, we must loosen it from the outside looking in, to the left. Winter.
You gentlemen are right there, saw that same passage in the factory manual. That **** just isn't budging so it might be something else in there.

One thing that just dawned on me is that they may have done this before and put that red loctite on there. So I will have to apply some heat to it, sounds bad though because judging by all the things I have seen today and read there are all sorts of seals behind it that may melt.

Old 01-05-2016 | 07:24 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Staylebait
Ok I am in there but for the life of me can't get that nut on the clutch hub undone, any tricks you know of to get it loosened?
impact gun

Quick Reply: Clutch Went and Metal Shavings in Primary