Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aim VPC

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 07:46 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Default Aim VPC

Have a question regarding the Aim VPC. A while back I installed a set of Woods 777's and a 30T rear pulley. Stock clutch wouldn't hold it so I installed the SE clutch spring. Clutch pull was stiff but manageable, at least until our last trip. Lots of stop n go traffic and the heavy clutch pull just got to be too much. Now trying to decide which VPC to go with. The VP84LT seems like the right choice with 20% less clutch pull and 20% more clutch pressure while keeping the SE Spring as I'm planning more engine work later on. Guys that are running the VPC, what are your thoughts? Should I ditch the SE Spring all together?

Old 01-03-2016, 10:27 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

It comes down to being a mix and match combination of what works for you. If you don't like using the SE spring, it takes all of about 30 minutes to change it back to either the stock spring or one with a different pressure rating. I'm running the VP84LT with the SE spring in my Wideglide with a Zippers 107" kit and it works just fine, for me that is.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:36 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
It comes down to being a mix and match combination of what works for you. If you don't like using the SE spring, it takes all of about 30 minutes to change it back to either the stock spring or one with a different pressure rating. I'm running the VP84LT with the SE spring in my Wideglide with a Zippers 107" kit and it works just fine, for me that is.
I don't have a problem leaving it or taking it out. If the VP84LT will get the clutch pull down close to stock with the SE Spring still installed that would be the best of both worlds for me. I do plan on future motor work so I wanna be sure to get the right VPC.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:38 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

when I got my fuelmoto 107 kit on my last bike, I went the cheap route and got the hd spring. after riding for a couple of months, I went ahead and got the aim vpc 92t (which I notice they don't have anymore....) and went back to the stock spring. that made life so much nicer.... the hd spring is really a bear when you have arthritis and are trying to feather the clutch....

if you're going to do any substantial engine work, look at the 95lt. with the stock spring (340lb), you're clutch pull is lighter at 320lbs, yet you'll be able to handle 148 ft/lbs of torque.

if you look at aims torque ratings, they are showing that it can handle that torque at 4000 rpms. at lower rpms, the centrifugal force is less, ergo clamping pressure is less. that's why I would probably go with the higher one, you can always go with a lower spring if you needed to, but I would rather have the capacity and not need it, than to need it and not have it.....

Old 01-03-2016, 10:47 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
when I got my fuelmoto 107 kit on my last bike, I went the cheap route and got the hd spring. after riding for a couple of months, I went ahead and got the aim vpc 92t (which I notice they don't have anymore....) and went back to the stock spring. that made life so much nicer.... the hd spring is really a bear when you have arthritis and are trying to feather the clutch.... if you're going to do any substantial engine work, look at the 95lt. with the stock spring (340lb), you're clutch pull is lighter at 320lbs, yet you'll be able to handle 148 ft/lbs of torque. if you look at aims torque ratings, they are showing that it can handle that torque at 4000 rpms. at lower rpms, the centrifugal force is less, ergo clamping pressure is less. that's why I would probably go with the higher one, you can always go with a lower spring if you needed to, but I would rather have the capacity and not need it, than to need it and not have it.....
Looking strictly at the numbers the VP84LT with the SE Spring gets the Initial Spring pressure down to 305lbs while the VP95LT with the stock Spring has an Initial Spring Pressure of 320lbs. Only 8lbs of torque capacity difference in the 2. With a softer clutch pull and still maintaining clutch grip being what I after, wouldn't the VP84LT serve me better if I leave the SE Spring in place?

Old 01-03-2016, 11:00 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

for now, sure. but how much engine work are you going to be doing in the future? I like to buy once. you can always change springs around to suit your requirements. how light a pull are you looking for now vs how much are you going to need in the future. if your planned engine mods aren't going to be that extensive, then your on track.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:09 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

for now, sure. but how much engine work are you going to be doing in the future? I like to buy once. you can always change springs around to suit your requirements. how light a pull are you looking for now vs how much are you going to need in the future. if your planned engine mods aren't going to be that extensive, then your on track.
Thank skratch that's my thoughts too. At the most I'm looking at a 107 or possibly just head work to go with the cams already installed. I'm thinking the vp84lt will get the pull down to a tolerable point and still hold well with the SE Spring.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:14 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I do not know what spring came standard in your bike but mine came with the 300ish spring. I put an AIM 340 and a VPC92 on it 5 years ago. I have a SE(380) spring in my toolbox. I have been to the dyno 3 times since, 107" no slip detected, over 130hp. Still on OEM clutch. Going Fri for a re-tune due to an exhaust change. Will bring SE spring again, LOL. I'd go VPC 95 and 340 spring.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:35 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SBates08
Thank skratch that's my thoughts too. At the most I'm looking at a 107 or possibly just head work to go with the cams already installed. I'm thinking the vp84lt will get the pull down to a tolerable point and still hold well with the SE Spring.
yeah, it seems like you aren't going with a super big build so I think you're on the right track.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:46 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

yeah, it seems like you aren't going with a super big build so I think you're on the right track.
I appreciate your insight.

Quick Reply: Aim VPC