Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aim VPC

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:18 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Gipper if that's all you plan to do with the motor you can leave your spring and go with the VP84LT. It'll drop the clutch pull 20% and add 20% more grip. I found that one on Amazon from Powersports Superstore for $246.
I just decided to do the VP95 on put the stock Spring back in. This way I know I'm covered if I ever decide to do more motor work.

Last edited by SBates08; 01-05-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:24 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Gipper if that's all you plan to do with the motor you can leave your spring and go with the VP84LT. It'll drop the clutch pull 20% and add 20% more grip. I found that one on Amazon from Powersports Superstore for $246.
I just decided to do the VP95 on put the stock Spring back in. This way I know I'm covered if I ever decide to do more motor work.
Having a hard time wrapping my brain around this...the VP84LT coupled with the Barnett spring that I currently have in my bike will give me lighter pull at the clutch lever than what I currently have with the Barnett spring alone?

Old 01-05-2016, 10:34 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by gipper
Having a hard time wrapping my brain around this...the VP84LT coupled with the Barnett spring that I currently have in my bike will give me lighter pull at the clutch lever than what I currently have with the Barnett spring alone?
Yes that is correct. It has to do with the size of the collar. The stock collar is wider and strikes the spring at a thicker spot on the fingers. The 84 is a smaller diameter thus it's pressing against a thinner section of the fingers when you pull the clutch.
In this pic you can see the ring scar from the stock collar on the Spring.

In this pic you can still see the scar and that the vp84 is a smaller diameter.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, SBates08 answered better than I did while I was composing my post.

Last edited by Buffalolake; 01-05-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:42 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buffalolake
Gipper, installing a VPC on top of your Barnett will NOT bring your clutch pull pressure down. But running a VPC on top of a stock spring should bring your high RPM clutch spring rate closer to your Barnett springs. I run a Screaming Eagle VPC on top of my stock clutch spring. The VPC has little spring loaded weights on it. When RPM's are at idle, the springs keep the little weights in, and you just have stock clutch spring pressure and pull. But as your RPM's increase, the weights kick out, increasing the spring pressure. Then when your RPM's come down, the springs pull the weights back in. Your clutch spring pressure and pull stays the same at idle, but then increases with RPM. So you get the easy pull of a stock spring at low RPM's, with the performance of a heavy spring at higher RPM's.
Harley has only 1 version of the VPC. Aim has 3 different ones that accommodate differently. The VP84LT will drop his initial clutch pull by 20% at idle.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:43 PM
gipper
Road Master

OKAY NOW.....the light just came on! Now I just have to decide if a 20% reduction will reduce the wear where it's occurring most. Dunno, but that helps big time.

Thank you, Bates.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:50 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by gipper
OKAY NOW.....the light just came on! Now I just have to decide if a 20% reduction will reduce the wear where it's occurring most. Dunno, but that helps big time. Thank you, Bates.
The convincing part for me to do the VP95LT that was pointed out by skratch is that it'll hold up to 148tq with the stock Spring. Doesn't bother me a bit to take that stiff SE spring out. It's done enough damage.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:52 PM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

SBates08, I apologize for stepping in without all of the facts. I was answering because I understood how my SE VPC worked, I was not familiar enough with the Aim VPC. I have edited my comment so that I don't mislead anyone further. Thank you.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:54 PM
gipper
Road Master

Originally Posted by Buffalolake
Sorry, SBates08 answered better than I did while I was composing my post.
No problem at all. I actually knew how the VPC worked, but what I didn't know was that AIM had different set ups that could be used with higher pressure springs, and that the outside diameter could even be changed to allow for the comfortable use of a high pressure spring and at the same time reduce clutch pull tension.

The Barnett spring was allegedly going to increase my clutch pull tension by 35%-40% if I remember correctly (felt more like 80%!), so I just need to think it over to determine if a 20% reduction will actually reduce the wear of clutch cable and lever components by more than that. If I left things the way they are, I'd surely be replacing pins in the clutch level in a matter of months, and be replacing the clutch cable all over again in a year.....no thanks to that!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:58 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Is the Barnett 360 or 380?

Quick Reply: Aim VPC