Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Mounts on 11 SG

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 01:04 PM
lakedrum03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Motor Mounts on 11 SG

Dream Team:

There are some companies out there that offer "upgraded" motor mounts. Glide-Pro is one of them. (Link) Does it really change the bike enough for the better to justify the $160 for the front motor mount change or $480 for a complete new set?

Educate me please.

Thanks.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:35 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

What are you seeking to achieve by changing your current mounts?

Old 12-29-2015, 03:39 PM
lakedrum03
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
What are you seeking to achieve by changing your current mounts?
Mr Brown - just a general upgrade. Smoother? Better handling?? I guess I am not sure how a motor mount would greatly improve handling.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:45 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The motor mounts are part of the engine/transmission/swingarm unit. So the tighter they hold the unit and still dampen vibration the better. The "unit" is not solid mounted so the frame doesn't really hold the unit, the frame holds the engine mounts.

Last edited by qtrracer; 12-29-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by lakedrum03
Mr Brown - just a general upgrade. Smoother? Better handling?? I guess I am not sure how a motor mount would greatly improve handling.
If you would like to improve handling I suggest using a True-Track kit, who provide front and rear stabilizers. These take the strain off the rubber mounts, leaving them to do their principle job, and will provide improved stability and cornering. You should feel a benefit before you get into top gear, the first time you ride with them!

I wrote a piece on bagger wobble, explaining the rubber mount system, which you may like to read.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:09 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
If you would like to improve handling I suggest using a True-Track kit, who provide front and rear stabilizers. These take the strain off the rubber mounts, leaving them to do their principle job, and will provide improved stability and cornering. You should feel a benefit before you get into top gear, the first time you ride with them!

I wrote a piece on bagger wobble, explaining the rubber mount system, which you may like to read.
On an 09-up bike the improvement from a True-Track is subtle at best. I speak from experience.

I'm glad I have it, if for no other reason, as you say, that it relieves stress from the rubber mounts, probably prolonging their life. (There's also the fact that I hate money, so I try to get rid of it quickly whenever I get it)

He's likely to see more improvement from suspension upgrades. But I agree its strange that someone who is not unhappy simply seeks to "upgrade" for the sake of upgrading. Though I've done that before too. (see quote about money above)

Last edited by Keithhu; 12-30-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:28 AM
lakedrum03
Cruiser

Thanks for the insight.

For the ture-trac, should the I get the rear and the front or is either one the key to the system?

Old 12-30-2015, 07:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Different members have reported different experiences, some being very impressed! T-T developed the rear first, as that is what is required on the older models, which come stock with a front stabilizer. IMHO both front and rear rubber mounts deserve a stabilizer, so I suggest buying both.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:57 AM
bornindadamnusa
Banned

I have only replaced the front on my 01. Never thought about it on the 05. Probably never will on the 16. Chasing chickens may be more cost efficient. Guess I just expect vibration on a Harley but maybe that is why my nose gets itchy???

Old 12-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Originally Posted by bornindadamnusa
I have only replaced the front on my 01. Never thought about it on the 05. Probably never will on the 16. Chasing chickens may be more cost efficient. Guess I just expect vibration on a Harley but maybe that is why my nose gets itchy???
Its not about vibration, its about stability and ride quality

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts on 11 SG