Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:04 PM
SiggerTX
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Handlebar dilemma

I know that handlebar selection is very subjective, but I have not found a local shop with much of a selection so I'm hoping for some advice here. I've got an '06 FLHT with a seat that has me moved back about 2" from stock. Being 6'6" tall my initial thoughts were that I needed the bars fairly far forward with little wrist angle. I purchased a set of HD "Tallboy" 10.5" apes initially as they didn't require me to change cables and such. While the relatively neutral wrist angle has been nice I have taken note of various shortcomings over the past year and 7000 miles. First, they are a little narrow causing some strain between my shoulders. Second, they are too short and too far forward causing me to slump forward which ails my lower back on longer trips.

Looking at bars such as Yaffee and KST it seems that although they are tall, wide, and some offering a relaxed wrist angle, they will still end up being too far forward causing me to not sit straight. I also looked at the Sweeper 2+2 bars from Khrome Werks but by my measurements they may sit too far back and too low. Now I am wondering if a set of bars for a Road Glide would be more appropriate, getting my wrists up but back towards me 4-6". A 14" bar will be just under shoulder height I believe.

Any insights here are appreciated, but understand that tall people have significantly different measurements and angles to deal with.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:47 PM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

You need to really dig into the specs. There are a number of places that post measurements differently. I like the way wild ones measures their bars and khrome werks I have found to be the best at providing diagrams of measurements. A lot of ape hangers have little pullback as it seems, although there are different suggestions as what pullback is. I use the term pull back as the distance from front of bar to end of bars like on the wild one website...many people say this is the incorrect definition of the term. I am only 5'7 and found comfort with Khrome Werks bagger apes in 14" after trying wo515, wo502, Carlini 16" gangster apes, and stick. I have short arms and wanted narrow bar ends and the KW were the ones with the right dimensuons.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:28 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello Sigger, I'm 6-9, and do and can't ride without apes. I have and will always use either Hill Country Custom bars or Cycle Smith. Both are very similar in width and wrist angle, and both very comfy. I use HCC now on my 2010 FLTCH. Have been 3 time ridden to Daytona from North of Houston on this bike with no discomfort at all. Mine are call 14", but measure 16" from bottom bend to top bend. To me a bars pull back is, with the bars mounted, but not completely tight yet. Set in your most comfy position and pull the bars back and forth to get the right place you want them. I have a solo air ride cop seat on my bike. It sets you up and back as much as 2-1/2 in both direction.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:22 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I could not find any bars that fit like I wanted. I landed up getting the adjustable bars from Helibars. They adjust in every measurement, height, width, pullback, wrist angle, everything. Love them.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:13 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I find the KST Mayhems to fit good I have logged a few miles with these bars ,look great and ergonomically correct imho. I am 5'7" with 14 " Mayhems

Old 12-15-2015, 09:34 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

At a diminutive 6'-3" I did the same thing experimenting with 10" bars, and over the years ended up with the equivalent of 16" bars; 3" risers and 13" apes.
Best fit yet. Used CycleSmiths 1-1/4" X13" high bars, nice bars without breaking the bank,
16" of bars seems to be the best solution for the majority of riders.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:22 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by glide2005
Hello Sigger, I'm 6-9, and do and can't ride without apes. I have and will always use either Hill Country Custom bars or Cycle Smith. Both are very similar in width and wrist angle, and both very comfy. I use HCC now on my 2010 FLTCH. Have been 3 time ridden to Daytona from North of Houston on this bike with no discomfort at all. Mine are call 14", but measure 16" from bottom bend to top bend. To me a bars pull back is, with the bars mounted, but not completely tight yet. Set in your most comfy position and pull the bars back and forth to get the right place you want them. I have a solo air ride cop seat on my bike. It sets you up and back as much as 2-1/2 in both direction.
They are called 14s because they are 14s..they are measured from center of the bar at the clamp to center of the wrist.. The angle height at the top means nothing towards comfort or whatever

Old 12-15-2015, 11:33 AM
acd118
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Batwing Mini-Apes and Brawler solo seat both from H-D and have to say that I absolutely love them. The bars are 12 inchers which I like because they look normal on the bike and are barely above the fairing. Not to say that other bars don't look nice, just my opinion.

Obviously at 6 foot even, you are much taller than me and I'm assuming that your arms are longer as well, but this set-up really works for me. Bars are tight up against my SG fairing (obviously not touching) and they have minimal pull-back. I have ridden 250-280 miles straight with no issues. Hope this helps.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:25 PM
SiggerTX
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What is needed to install newer style bars on a non-TBW bike? A spacer or a trim?

Old 12-16-2015, 08:45 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Sigger: You and I are at opposite ends of the height spectrum, and I sincerely believe it would behoove you to have your bars customer made to fit you, exactly for you, and you alone. All said and done, it MIGHT cost a couple hundred more, but it will be done one time, and it will be worth it in the long run.

I used BR's Custom Bars (http://www.brcustomcycles.com/), and no kidding, done once, done for the duration that I own my motorcycle. They'll walk you through the measuring process on the phone or via their website, and their customer service is second to none. Lastly, they're all American, and made right here in the homeland; should that means something to you.

Give them a look, and a call; it won't cost you any money to do that.

Good luck and Happy Holidays.

Quick Reply: Handlebar dilemma