Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help..Changing handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Dadof7girlz
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help..Changing handlebars

Alrigh fellow bikers, I have a 2003 RK Classic. I want to put either 14" or 16" bars on, as cost effective as possible. I'm not sure where to start, length of cables. I want to do the work myself of course. I am knowledgable on how just not on getting what I need. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone that helps. God bless and help support our troops.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:28 PM
Jackpot Johnnie
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Google and ebay is your friend. Extra length cable and wiring kits come in kits for different length bars in 2 inch increments. For example 18 inch ape hangers you will need a wire and cable kit that cover 17-18 inch bars. Black clutch and throttle cables will be cheaper then the braided steel.

Last edited by Jackpot Johnnie; 12-12-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Big Money
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll try to help you a little. I went with 12" monkey bars which are about the same as everyone else's 14's. I used +6" clutch, throttle and idle cables and brake line and they routed in stock location. You will need a 1 piece top clamp. You will need wire extensions. If you go with 16's you will need +8's. You will need to replace your riser bushings with poly bushings. You can find cables at JP Cycles, I used Magnum Shielding cables. They are expensive but quality is top notch. It's really an easy job, just takes a little time to extend wires and fish them through the bars.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:34 PM
8828alex
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on page 617 of the hd catalog it states that the cables and brake lines are available in custom lengths . i would check with the dealer for your application.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Dadof7girlz
Stage III

Big, can you tell me what is the difference with "monkey bars"?

Old 12-12-2015, 03:13 PM
TurboChris
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Once you find the cables you need...cross check them at directcycleparts.com they're been the cheapest source for me lately.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:17 PM
Dadof7girlz
Stage III

Thanks guy. Huge help!!
Another thing, I'm 6' 1" I'm looking at 12",14",and 16". I do longer rides, I know it's all personal preference but which would be more comfortable?

Old 12-12-2015, 03:45 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Dadof7girlz
Thanks guy. Huge help!!
Another thing, I'm 6' 1" I'm looking at 12",14",and 16". I do longer rides, I know it's all personal preference but which would be more comfortable?
Easy, get a broom handle, please a string in the middle - sit on your bike holding the broom handle in front of you like you would if you were riding and when you find the height that is right for you, measure the the length of the string from the broom handle to the handlebar clamp....

Old 12-12-2015, 03:50 PM
BigKuntry
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Big Money
I'll try to help you a little. I went with 12" monkey bars which are about the same as everyone else's 14's. I used +6" clutch, throttle and idle cables and brake line and they routed in stock location. You will need a 1 piece top clamp. You will need wire extensions. If you go with 16's you will need +8's. You will need to replace your riser bushings with poly bushings. You can find cables at JP Cycles, I used Magnum Shielding cables. They are expensive but quality is top notch. It's really an easy job, just takes a little time to extend wires and fish them through the bars.
THIS. Also depends on width of bars and routing. Just did the same thing myself with 14's. Buddy just went +8 on all of his for 18's.

Originally Posted by Dadof7girlz
Thanks guy. Huge help!!
I am 6'3" and prefer 14-16. Had 20's and were too much.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:34 PM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Search for handlebars, I have several posts and threads that might handle your questions. Or you can look at my page and see the threads I have or posts I have made.

Quick Reply: Please help..Changing handlebars