Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test riding a streetglide Dec 19

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015 | 08:12 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
all the touring series are the same except for plastic, speakers, wheels and badges/trim
This is true but the biggest difference can effect the perception between the models are the seats and bars. If you look at the seats between the ultras, street glide and road king relationship between the bars and their configuration it makes the bikes feel different. Both are easily altered but off the floor they will feel different.

Old 12-05-2015 | 08:12 AM
CRocks
Road Master

Originally Posted by Richie921
Also if anyone knows anything good, bad, or other about Victory bikes please share. I am currently leaning toward the Harley. Thanks
Resale is ATROCIOUS on the Vics. Spoke to an old HD rider that converted to Vic. He said the Vic was a great bike, no complaints, but he lost his smile. He's back on an HD again. The HD comes with the smile built-in.

Old 12-05-2015 | 08:56 AM
PureHybrid
Road Master

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
Good point, "Buy what makes you happy". If you don't like the looks of the RG, that's enough reason not to buy it, never mind test ride it. You don't want to be riding what you think is an ugly bike, for sure. I'm not so sure that most people who ride both a RG and a SG will pick the SG though. Especially the Rushmore models. There is quite a difference in handling at parking lot speeds and at highway speeds. There are more people who are in your boat, they just like looks of the SG better, and that's fine. Both are nice bikes & both are better than any Victory, haha.
Agreed. But there's not many people around these parts that like the RG, seems to be a fixed fairing phobia

Originally Posted by Richie921
It's funny it's not the look of the Roadglide I don't like, I think it looks cool, but I hate the dash. I've heard also that because the radio is so high glare can be a problem. Also the bars are horrid.
I like my RG, but the older models make me want to puke

Yes the dash will glare when riding away from the sun, its a tradeoff. I like the screen being up higher for GPS use and scrolling through music, don't have to look away as far. Bars don't bother me, and it makes for a more relaxed feeling.

Old 12-05-2015 | 10:33 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

The Street Glide has been a very popular bike for some time now - very cool looking - However, as stated, the rear shocks are lowered and IF you ride two up - it will be more firm - however, LOTS of people accept this because it looks cool and it does..

RG or EG/SG - very subjective at best.

I bought my first Touring bike (EG) in 2004 - I am a shortrider (5'6") and was 54 at the time - After riding the Batwing for a few years I bought all the parts and changed the EG into a RG - because of all the talk about handling. For me I did not see all that much difference (again very subjective) after about a year I went back to the EG and sold all the RG parts...

Most all of our riding is Two up. We retired in 2008 and now have made 4 cross country trips on that 04 (sold in this Aug after 80K miles - bought a new 15 Ultra Limited)

Lots of people talk about wind and EG vs RG - Well, I have ridden in all types of weather with Both - The Most severe was leaving Winslow, AZ on April 15, 2009. We were on I-40 riding East with winds coming from the South...

Wind
Wind Speed 28 mph (SSW)
Max Wind Speed 53 mph
Max Gust Speed 63 mph

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...wmo=99999&MR=1

These Major Cross winds lasted for a good hour - We just had to do it... My knuckles were white and I did the best I could to maintain 40 mph - had my flashers on and leaning right - just to be able to keep up right and battle the winds... Well, I kept an eye on my mirrors for upcoming trucks and such - when I saw a single headlight in the left lane approaching me (WTF- This guys is moving about 55 ish in this Wind) As he past me - he was on Batwing HD - moving right along... NO **** - in that wind... Just goes to show... He had MUCH more experience in winds than me...

It really boils down to What looks Cool to YOU - For me I Love my Batwing HD and will stay with that - My arm are shorter and the dash is easier to reach. Seats - Handle bars can be changed and often are - to fit the rider.

I have many friends that have the RG and love them....

One thing about the RG - if you have any experience with a Batwing - I found it a little 'strange' at first - on the RG the fairing does NOT move as you go thru maneuvers - and your eyes will see this in your peripheral vision - it took me some time to get used to that - may be just me..

If you a BIG TALL guy - then the RG will seem like you have more room than on the SG/EG

If you plan to do 2 up riding much - check out the Ultra's The Tour pac does come in handy - However - does not look as cool as the SG

As far as the Demo truck - not really needed... make some calls - find a dealer that will allow you to test ride all the bikes you want... Trust me IF you let them know your a serious Buyer - you can ride all day...

When I got my 04 - I lowered both front and back - Hated it... went back to standard - worked on Seat, Bars and Boots and even with a 28" inseam - I did fine for 11 years and 80K - went to buy a 2015 - Dealer said HD had improved the shocks over the 11 years... Test rode a LOW and wife and I liked it... bought it - went on a trip... NOTTTTTTT, LOL - sorry I bought the low - spent the money to change front end and back end... to Standard height - kept the Low front and back for future sale or trade

Lastly - Buying a Motorcycle for the most part is Emotional - So, we move towards what LOOKS COOL to us... Ride as many as you can but go with YOUR Gut feelings and NOT what others tell you - LOL - of course including me.

Last edited by harley0711; 12-05-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-05-2015 | 11:22 AM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by harley0711
The Street Glide has been a very popular bike for some time now - very cool looking - However, as stated, the rear shocks are lowered and IF you ride two up - it will be more firm - however, LOTS of people accept this because it looks cool and it does..

RG or EG/SG - very subjective at best.

I bought my first Touring bike (EG) in 2004 - I am a shortrider (5'6") and was 54 at the time - After riding the Batwing for a few years I bought all the parts and changed the EG into a RG - because of all the talk about handling. For me I did not see all that much difference (again very subjective) after about a year I went back to the EG and sold all the RG parts...

Most all of our riding is Two up. We retired in 2008 and now have made 4 cross country trips on that 04 (sold in this Aug after 80K miles - bought a new 15 Ultra Limited)

Lots of people talk about wind and EG vs RG - Well, I have ridden in all types of weather with Both - The Most severe was leaving Winslow, AZ on April 15, 2009. We were on I-40 riding East with winds coming from the South...

Wind
Wind Speed 28 mph (SSW)
Max Wind Speed 53 mph
Max Gust Speed 63 mph

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...wmo=99999&MR=1

These Major Cross winds lasted for a good hour - We just had to do it... My knuckles were white and I did the best I could to maintain 40 mph - had my flashers on and leaning right - just to be able to keep up right and battle the winds... Well, I kept an eye on my mirrors for upcoming trucks and such - when I saw a single headlight in the left lane approaching me (WTF- This guys is moving about 55 ish in this Wind) As he past me - he was on Batwing HD - moving right along... NO **** - in that wind... Just goes to show... He had MUCH more experience in winds than me...

It really boils down to What looks Cool to YOU - For me I Love my Batwing HD and will stay with that - My arm are shorter and the dash is easier to reach. Seats - Handle bars can be changed and often are - to fit the rider.

I have many friends that have the RG and love them....

One thing about the RG - if you have any experience with a Batwing - I found it a little 'strange' at first - on the RG the fairing does NOT move as you go thru maneuvers - and your eyes will see this in your peripheral vision - it took me some time to get used to that - may be just me..

If you a BIG TALL guy - then the RG will seem like you have more room than on the SG/EG

If you plan to do 2 up riding much - check out the Ultra's The Tour pac does come in handy - However - does not look as cool as the SG

As far as the Demo truck - not really needed... make some calls - find a dealer that will allow you to test ride all the bikes you want... Trust me IF you let them know your a serious Buyer - you can ride all day...

When I got my 04 - I lowered both front and back - Hated it... went back to standard - worked on Seat, Bars and Boots and even with a 28" inseam - I did fine for 11 years and 80K - went to buy a 2015 - Dealer said HD had improved the shocks over the 11 years... Test rode a LOW and wife and I liked it... bought it - went on a trip... NOTTTTTTT, LOL - sorry I bought the low - spent the money to change front end and back end... to Standard height - kept the Low front and back for future sale or trade

Lastly - Buying a Motorcycle for the most part is Emotional - So, we move towards what LOOKS COOL to us... Ride as many as you can but go with YOUR Gut feelings and NOT what others tell you - LOL - of course including me.
A lot of great information there. I too rode both and didnt see much difference to go sharknose. I like the looks of the sg better and I am a short rider the sg just fit better

Old 12-05-2015 | 11:43 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Anyone considering a Victory should know that Polaris is going to come out with a new motor very soon.

I'm sure the Victory is a great bike, I just prefer "originals". Harley is the original, Victory like others try to copy. IMHO

Old 12-05-2015 | 04:14 PM
Richie921
|
Intermediate

Thanks guys for all the responses and taking the time to help me with my decision. Right now I would say I'm 90% Going wit Harley because I wasn't that big on the Victory when I rode it. I will know for sure after the street glide test ride. Thanks for all the info harley0711.

Old 12-05-2015 | 04:40 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

I'm gonna say once you ride the SG or RG, you are going to have a large present under your tree this year, LOL

Why are you waiting until the 19th? Might be too late weather wise. Go ride it now while the weather is good.

Old 12-05-2015 | 06:18 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member

Anyone know why cops are often seen on Bat Wings, but never on Road Glides?

When I see the Police motorcycle handling courses I always see them riding Bat Wings, and they seem to be pretty responsive. Why not Sharks?

Thought the Shark nose would be better for high speed persuits, but still always Bat Wings.

Old 12-05-2015 | 07:08 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
Anyone know why cops are often seen on Bat Wings, but never on Road Glides?

When I see the Police motorcycle handling courses I always see them riding Bat Wings, and they seem to be pretty responsive. Why not Sharks?

Thought the Shark nose would be better for high speed persuits, but still always Bat Wings.
Good question. Around here they ride road kings more times than not.

Quick Reply: Test riding a streetglide Dec 19