Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

florida hurricanes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 04:45 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default florida hurricanes

i need to ask this question since hurricane season is coming up. if i need to evacuate do i pack the family up in the van and i follow on the bike? what if my company says ineed totake my company vehicle. so the family leaves in the van, i leave in the company truck. that leaves my bike back in the garage. I DONTTHINK SO. i am not leaving that bike behind. looks like its time to find a trailer. what do you all think?

Old 05-07-2007, 05:01 PM
ssihogdog
Road Captain
Default RE: florida hurricanes

If you can swing an enclosed trailer, this is the way to go. Plus, you can put other stuff in it (like personal papers, sentimental stuff and the like). Everytime we've evacutaed, the weather was already nasty and the traffic was terrible, don't think I would enjoy being on the bike during this madness.....

Old 05-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Lil Truckr
Road Captain

Back in '04 when Hurricane Charlie stuck we were livin between Fort Myers and Punta Gorda. As we sat up all night watching the weather forecasters paint a very depressing view of Charlie the wife packed three laundry baskets full of food, water, important papers and related items. She had them sitting next to the back door as we tried to decide if that hurricane, which was now upgraded to acategory 4, was going to hit us or continue northup the gulf. At 8 a.m., Friday the 13th of August, we made a decision to head inland as the weather experts were telling us that Charlie was going to turn inland and impact us directly...

We quickly loaded all the prepared stuff into our motor coach and we headed inland to Clewiston to ride out the storm. We had to leave both our cars and my Ultra so as the storm rage on in our area I was very worried about our property back in North Fort Myers. I didn't want to leave the bike or cars but knowing from past experience that they can be replaced, that's why we have insurance, I made the decision to leave them. I didn't want my wife to be driving her car behind the motor coach and she sure as hell wasn't going to be able to drive a 40 foot long motor home by herself as I drove the bike.

I had managed to cover the bike up with a tarp in the garage prior to leaving. As if that would have done any good with 140+ mph winds hitting the house/garage. [&:]

Anyway, to make a long story short, Charlie wobbled a little and went 12 miles further north and struck the Punta Gorda area full steam. My bike and cars were okay and I only lost a couple pieces of siding on the house.

If I were You. Worry about the bike but your life and your family should be the most important thing you need to worry about. If you decide to drive the bike, and your family is in a car following, there is always the chance you would get separated and they need you to be with them much more then you need to worry about the bike...

Hopefully this is all speculation and you won't have to evacuate but you are doing well to plan ahead.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:30 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,825 Likes on 1,278 Posts

I guess I would worry about my family and not the bike....that's what insurance is for.[&:]

Old 05-07-2007, 08:48 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sh*t I wonder what the folks in Tornado Alley do. Besides hurricanes and tornadosDO NOT go after scooters unless they are parked inside a moble home (aka manufactured home) or more accurately a single wide.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:23 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior

Pull the co truck behind the bike.

Peace,

Old 05-08-2007, 03:56 AM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

..your worring about taking a $20000 dollar bike but your leaving your home..the bike can be replaced as easily as your home.. much less getting caught out on highway with ahurricane bearing down on your ***.
Take:
..Family..friends..pets..hurricane evac kit..documents..any irreplaceable valubles... and go.

Later

Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 PM
JHeiser
Cruiser

During that infamous summer of the hurricanes we evacuated 3 times. I have a Dodge diesel Quad long bed pickup truck and 35’ travel trailer. The bike goes in the bed of the truck; household goodies go into travel trailer. Having lived in Florida for well over 40 years we have adapted and are pretty much ready to leave at a moments notice. Everything we buy we buy with the thought of what do we do with it incase we need to pack and go so hence the truck and the travel trailer. Each time we evacuated we first headed to our hay farm north of Chiefland Florida where we waited to see what each storm would do. So far it has worked for us. We don’t even board up the windows anymore. Everything we cherish we have with us. Up at our farm we have a stockpile of supplies just incase but for the most part we are set when it comes time to roll out of town because a big wind is coming.