Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 09:54 AM
cycleman50
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default changing spark plug wires

I have a 2015 ultra limited. I had the stage 1 put on. I read upgrading spark plug wires with low resistant ones would also help. I was thinking of getting the screaming eagle wires. Would they help? My question: I went down to try to get the original wires off. It obviously wasn't hard to take off of the spark plug, BUT the other end does not just pull out. Is there a trick to getting it out?? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:08 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 972 Posts

I can't say from personal experience but I've read that the stock wires are the only ones that work on late model bikes because the coils read the wire/spark plug resistance to verify spark. If you change wire resistance it can set a fault code.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:02 AM
iliketoride9
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Waste of Money.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:05 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,567 Likes on 1,968 Posts

This thread ran several years ago but will give you an understanding of ION Sense
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...explained.html

Old 11-25-2015, 11:07 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

look up "ion sense".

some riders have have CEL with aftermarket and screaming eahle wires/plugs.

the stock stuff works fine.

the only time a "performance" plug wire add power is if the old wires are worn cracked split and about useless.

mike

Old 11-25-2015, 12:41 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by cycleman50
I have a 2015 ultra limited. I had the stage 1 put on. I read upgrading spark plug wires with low resistant ones would also help. I was thinking of getting the screaming eagle wires. Would they help?
Help with what?

The stock wires (in good condition) are providing all the performance your bike can use at this point.

Anything other than the stock wires, would be cosmetic only (colored wires).

Old 11-25-2015, 02:00 PM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed the Fuel Moto wires on my 15 RGS because they were red and look cool on my black bike. You won't gain any performance from spark plug wires unless one of your old wires are bad. I had to remove the gas tank to replace the wires but other than that it's pretty easy.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:41 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The Screaming Eagle wires will work fine and the ION sensing will still work just fine as will the Fuel Moto wires. There will be no improvement unless your stock wires are not up to par, as stated previously. My SE wires have been on for 4+ years and been on a dyno 4 times where any spark issues, either false readings or failure to read, would have shown up.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:18 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
I can't say from personal experience but I've read that the stock wires are the only ones that work on late model bikes because the coils read the wire/spark plug resistance to verify spark. If you change wire resistance it can set a fault code.
===============

Thats true that newer gen bike could throw a code if using much lower resistance type spiral core high perf wire plug wires let alone other plugs of diff design etc then stock that may also have different resistance .

Scott

Old 11-25-2015, 04:24 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by cycleman50
I have a 2015 ultra limited. I had the stage 1 put on. I read upgrading spark plug wires with low resistant ones would also help. I was thinking of getting the screaming eagle wires. Would they help? My question: I went down to try to get the original wires off. It obviously wasn't hard to take off of the spark plug, BUT the other end does not just pull out. Is there a trick to getting it out?? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
would help with what?

Quick Reply: changing spark plug wires