Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 04:48 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
look up "ion sense".

some riders have have CEL with aftermarket and screaming eahle wires/plugs.

the stock stuff works fine.

the only time a "performance" plug wire add power is if the old wires are worn cracked split and about useless.

mike
==================================================

" the only time a "performance" plug wire add power is if the old wires are worn cracked split and about useless. "

Well,tha's not always the case though its true if you start with plug wires that are already bad or close to end of their srvc life that any new spiral core or std supp core wire set will help make it run/perf better at that time

But heres the deal on spiral core plug wires with a little back ground on them for guys that may not be aware of the diff bewteen std sup core 7 spiral core wires along with my 1st hand exp with spiral core vs std supp core wires too.

Std suppression core wires have roughly 1200-1500ohms resistance per foot and spiral core wires (many of which are still a suppression core wire too) have much less resistance being 500-800ohms perf foot on avg with some having as little as 300ohms resistance per foot.

So spiral core plug wires are in fact 2x-3x less restrictive to current flow allowing 2x-3x additional current to get to the plugs.

Yrs back when spiral core wires 1st hit the market i rvu'd back to back dyno test results that were done at 2 diff facilities at different times being totally unconnected to each other in any way using a mild perf lvl BBC/454 & a sbc/350 that were setup to be in proper tune and running properly.

They both then installed brand new stock std type suppression plug wires (not spiral core /not copper or steel core either) like the HD's have to get base lvl pwr/trq readings.

Then they removed the new stock type suppression core wires like hd has stock and installed spiral core perf wires and the 454 picked up approx 8hp and the 350 picked up approx 5.5-6hp.

Was that enough to feel in seat of the pants,not likely,does that show that the additional current allowed to get to the plugs helped make combustion more efficient picking up a few HP in the process,yes it did.

Also,i have personally had great results using spiral core wires on 60's-70's street perf muscle cars / motors that i built & or that other people brought to me that were having misfire issues or totally fouling plugs once in a while for me to chk out.

Then when i would check the motors out they seemed to be in good cond not having oil use issues that had base & total timing where it belonged & timing curve setup properly too along with carb fuel calibration close enough to not cause issues if not spot on along with also running proper heat range plugs too that still had issues with plugs getting dirty enough post idling in traffic or with slow driving at very low rpm that later on would misfire at higher rpm /under more load when they would get into hard after motor had a some idle time in traffic and the long duration perf cams they were running didn't help that situation either.

When i had that situation where everything was spot on with ign working properly,coil checked out ok,correct heat range plugs were used, carb tuning and timing was right on along with the motor not having oil use issues too.

It was then that i would remove the new supposedly hi perf hi temp silicone NON SPIRAL CORE std type suppression wires they were running and would also pull the plugs and clean them if not too bad or replace if required with same mfg & heat range plugs that were proper to begin with .

Then i would chk plug gap & reinstall them along with a new set of spiral core plug wires with maybe 1/3 of the cases that didnt already have them i'd install a new perf dist cap & rotor with brass and or copper terminals too.

I did that because copper/brass terminals also have considerably less resistance to current flow then the cheaper dist caps & rotors have with AL contacts that are lower quality ign parts.

Then guess what,they/the motors didnt have anymore issues with hi rpm misfires post idling in traffic and or no plug fouling at all too with the spiral core wires being the only thing i had to do in many of the cases because everything else was already right on the money.

And i have also had same type results using spiral core plug wires on the hi perf metric bikes i worked over the past 4+ decades too.

So with having that type success time after time over the 4+ decades 1st hand exp i have tuning street perf muscle cars & metric bikes(esp kawi h1 500 & h2-750 both 2 stroke triples & 900/1000 big 4r's) that proved to me spiral core plug wires do in fact live up to the claims the mfgs state because the 2x-3x additional current they allow to the plugs makes a difference.

Before our daily use everyday completely stock original cars went distributorless ign or with coils mounted directly on plugs i got a consistent 1.5-1.8mpg inc in fuel mileage when i installed spiral core wires on those cars proving to me the 2x-3x additional current spiral core wires allowed to the plugs did in fact result in those cars/motors having more efficient combustion backed up by the consistent though small increase in mpg i got at the time.

Thats coming from many yrs 1st hand exp with spiral cores wires vs std suppression core wires which you guys can believe or not.

But 1 thing i am sure is i already know from dealing with this for many yrs whats true & what isnt when it comes to spiral core plug wires from the results i got 1st hand time after time over 4+ decades dialing street per cars & bikes,i go on results & those are the results i got which other may or may not get.

Happy motoring!

Scott

Old 11-26-2015, 11:19 AM
dwhite74
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of SE wires to give you..........I know that they will mess up your CB radio.
took mine off and I could talk and hear again seriously if you want them

Old 11-26-2015, 11:23 AM
dwhite74
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should state farther that I had them on only for the look, I like the orange with my
engine, took me awhile to figure it out cause I had a issue with the headset that came with the bike so I was blaming it on that still and then I remembered back in my cb days (40 yrs ago) that certain plug wires would cause serious static.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:59 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,157 Likes on 1,352 Posts

We offer a money back guarantee and lifetime warranty on our plug wires

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 11-30-2015, 04:36 PM
cycleman50
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You convinced me ... saved my money for another day.