Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVO mufflers on an 88"

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:24 PM
jjlw
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CVO mufflers on an 88"

Anyone run CVO mufflers on an 88" touring bike?
How does it sound?
Like the looks of the 4" mufflers but wanting stock or just a mildly louder than stock

Old 11-24-2015, 08:32 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a 88 incher and have not run the CVO slipons but have run the slipons from a 103" motor and they worked great. A little better sound than earlier versions and better performance.

My next set was going to be CVO take offs but I scored a set of supertrapps and love them.

I say go for it !! the bigger cans will. look great and they should sound nice and mellow.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:37 PM
s76helipilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock CVO mufflers off a 96" are literally stuffed solid with insulation and will likely be similar or even quieter than your stock slip-ons besides the fact that they won't breath well.

I tried a pair on my 2010 FLHTCU and ended up gutting them and put in the FullSac sleeve with 2" baffles and am happy with them. A little louder than my stock pipes, no drone and a deeper tone.

Fullsac sells 4 different baffles for them so for a reasonable cost you can change them again easily if you want louder or quieter.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:49 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

On your 88 incher any muffler for a larger motor will flow just fine, especially ones from a CVO bike.

You really think mother Harley is going to install a more restrictive pipe on ther flagship performance model ?? Sheesh.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:40 PM
s76helipilot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bigheadted
On your 88 incher any muffler for a larger motor will flow just fine, especially ones from a CVO bike.

You really think mother Harley is going to install a more restrictive pipe on ther flagship performance model ?? Sheesh.
You've never seen the inside of one built in 2012 or later have you?

Old 11-25-2015, 07:56 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

Actually I have

Old 11-25-2015, 08:45 PM
s76helipilot
Cruiser

Then you would know that they are far from a real performance muffler in their stock configuration. They are a street legal pipe designed to make a noise DB limit mandated by the gov matched to a certain engine. The OP said he wants stock or mildly louder than stock. I am only relaying my own experience. I put a stock set of CVO pipes on a 96 and they were a full DB quieter than my stock touring slipons.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:29 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a friend with a 2015 CVO and we took his mufflers apart and installed 2" Full Sac cores using half of the fiberglass lining that was in the stock core. The sound is now deeper, slightly louder than stock and retains the look of the CVO. In my opinion the current stock CVO pipes have a tinny sound.

The inside of the current CVO mufflers have a straight through perforated 1 3/4" core that is wrapped with about 2 inches of fiberglass.

Bill

Last edited by billnourse; 11-26-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:52 AM
s76helipilot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by billnourse
I have a friend with a 2015 CVO and we took his mufflers apart and installed 2" Full Sac cores using half of the fiberglass lining that was in the stock core. The sound is now deeper, slightly louder than stock and retains the look of the CVO. In my opinion the current stock CVO pipes have a tinny sound.

The inside of the current CVO mufflers have a straight through perforated 1 3/4" core that is wrapped with about 2 inches of fiberglass.

Bill
^^ Yup!!

Old 11-26-2015, 08:06 AM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed CVO mufflers on my 07 96". Sounded like a Metric it got so quiet, Performance didn't really change, maybe a little more top end but really nothing noticable.
I immediately ordered the 1.75 Fullsac. Now it sounds like a Harley should sound from the factory.

(PS These were 2009 CVO mufflers with the reverse/overlap baffles and factory sleeves. If you get a later year muffler with baffles shown above, I recommend ordering the fullsac sleeves and baffles.)

Quick Reply: CVO mufflers on an 88"