Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Inner Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 04:03 PM
ravens9322
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted Inner Fairing

Hey guys,

This year I finally bought a touring bike. Specifically, a 2006 Electra Glide Classic. She is absolutely perfect with one exception, the top of the inner fairing (above the speakers) is super sun damaged. So i was thinking of getting the inner fairing painted and cleared to remedy this.

Ill start out by saying first and foremost, I will not be doing any of the work, I will most likely take it to an indy shop to do everything. Apparently, there are clips inside the fairing and mine must all be broken because the fairing rattles like a mother.

What does this sort of job normally cost? I don't want to go into this blind, not knowing what the norm is.

Thanks for the help in advance

Old 11-18-2015, 04:18 PM
billbuzz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum. It's not that hard to do this job yourself. There is a step by step video on this forum that shows you how to remove the inner and outer faring. I used the video when I did my inner fairing. It looks intimidating but once you get started it's not that bad. Not sure what the indy charges an hour for labor but I'm sure that most of your expense will be mostly labor cost. Good luck and enjoy the bike.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:24 PM
ravens9322
Advanced

Thanks, I'll search for the video. I was just checking out some HD dealer websites and i saw that one of them is having a "special" (if you can call it that) for painted inner fairing and installation for $575. I realize getting something painted is pricey but jesus thats salty

Old 11-18-2015, 04:34 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

painted and installed for $575 - not bad..... paint alone can cost and the labor IF you have someone else to it will cost.... Like stated, you can do it... I have done it twice and its not that bad - just takes time AND if you have a buddy with a batwing - buy him some beer and offer to park his bike in your garage for a few weeks, LOL - meaning take the outter fairing off and it will be your guide - way better than a book...

Old 11-18-2015, 04:38 PM
ravens9322
Advanced

Originally Posted by harley0711
painted and installed for $575 - not bad..... paint alone can cost and the labor IF you have someone else to it will cost.... Like stated, you can do it... I have done it twice and its not that bad - just takes time AND if you have a buddy with a batwing - buy him some beer and offer to park his bike in your garage for a few weeks, LOL - meaning take the outter fairing off and it will be your guide - way better than a book...

LOL great idea. I guess i was thinking the job would be closer to the $300 range. But just like my shock of researching ape installation prices, nothing harley related is cheap.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:48 PM
VB2KDH
Road Master
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 272 Likes on 91 Posts

$575 installed by dealer is a bargain. My dealers charge 4 hrs @ $96/hr to remove and replace. My fairing (two tone) alone from dealer would've been $634. I obtained mine from Paul Barber with Painted Harley Fairings for a total of $650.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:52 PM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had mine painted on my 08 SG but removed and installed it myself. Like others have said it looks like it would be difficult but it's not as bad as it seems. I would guess that removing and installing could be done in 4 hours but likely much less for someone who has done it before. I had mine painted for around $200 if memory serves. I would guess that if you had someone do all the work it would cost around $500 or so. About half that if you do the labor. The $575 deal is really not bad especially from a dealer assuming that it's for a factory painted inner fairing.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:54 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ravens9322
LOL great idea. I guess i was thinking the job would be closer to the $300 range. But just like my shock of researching ape installation prices, nothing harley related is cheap.
This is exactly why I got a service manual and parts book and do some of this R&R myself. Just bought a set of helibars - crazy exp but pretty cool for short riders esp... tried to find someone to install them here in CA - called and got Heli??????????????????? So, I did it my self - I work Real slow and cheap, lol - came out fine...

again, the price installed is decent - I would First research if they are painting Yours or installing a new one??? If painting yours... I would want to see the work first... painting these can be tricky

I have a new Limited and it came with the painted inner - for me, I could take it or leave it... I have had both and the painted looks nice when its really clean, lol

Old 11-18-2015, 05:04 PM
ravens9322
Advanced

thanks guys, i appreciate the help and pointing me into the right direction, I guess I'm gonna give this a shot lol

Old 11-18-2015, 05:17 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ravens9322
thanks guys, i appreciate the help and pointing me into the right direction, I guess I'm gonna give this a shot lol
Give your self lots of room to lay things out - take your time - video or take pics... still IF you can find another Batwing bike - Really is nice to have that parked in the garage - being able to go back and forth and look - makes life so easy

Quick Reply: Painted Inner Fairing