Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which 110" Stage V Tire Shredder Kit for a Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015 | 08:01 PM
Scott B.
|
Cruiser
Default Which 110" Stage V Tire Shredder Kit for a Street Glide?

Well thanks to the guidance I received on here I did actually decide on the 2016 Street Glide as my next bike. I know I am going to immediately have the 110" Stage V kit installed. My dilemma:

There are two kits.

The street legal version runs 10.2:1 CR and the race version is running 10.5:1. Has anyone run a bagger as a daily ride with 10.5:1 CR without it having overheating issues? I run 10.5:1 on my FXDX but it is a LOT lighter than the Street Glide and I would be riding them differently.

Anyone have the race version and is happy with it on a Street Glide, Road Glide, etc...?

Smart money is on the slightly detuned street legal version but you know I had to ask.

Thanks in advance for your guidance and advice.

Old 11-15-2015 | 10:40 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm running a 107 at 10.75 compression. Next time I tear the top end down, I'm pulling the compression back down to 10.2. More displacement at a lower compression (big, dumb motor) is a better way to go for a heavy, daily rider.

Old 11-15-2015 | 10:52 PM
Scott B.
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mike
I'm running a 107 at 10.75 compression. Next time I tear the top end down, I'm pulling the compression back down to 10.2. More displacement at a lower compression (big, dumb motor) is a better way to go for a heavy, daily rider.
Kinda what I was thinking.

Old 11-16-2015 | 10:36 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm at 10.5:1 on my daily ridden 06 Ultra Classic with a 120, if its tuned right and you're not a lugger, it's a non issue. I've been in city traffic without a heat issue, I run a 10 row Jag cooler and nothing else.

Old 11-16-2015 | 11:01 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

FWIW I know a guy with the 110 race version in his Fatbob and he says below 35mph it is tough to wrangle. He's having fun with it, but it sounds like a handful. Could be the tune, but also consider that the race kit is designed specifically for drag racing, so spec tune might be right on with that behavior. Making it more streetable might defeat the specs....which I see as another vote for the moderate street version.

Another member, bejewel, has it in his FXDF too...maybe he'll chime in.

Last edited by Thingfish; 11-16-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2015 | 12:06 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

Get the street version and tell everyone it's the race version...

Old 11-16-2015 | 02:33 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thingfish
FWIW I know a guy with the 110 race version in his Fatbob and he says below 35mph it is tough to wrangle. He's having fun with it, but it sounds like a handful. Could be the tune, but also consider that the race kit is designed specifically for drag racing, so spec tune might be right on with that behavior. Making it more streetable might defeat the specs....which I see as another vote for the moderate street version.

Another member, bejewel, has it in his FXDF too...maybe he'll chime in.
Sounds like he needs a good tune, just looked at the kit on HD's site. IMO it's more or less a mild 110, its spec's at 10.2:1 compression, don't know where the shop the OP talked to go its info. It has heads, 58mm throttle body and SE259 cams, the 259 is a pretty mild cam.

The stage III kit is the one with 10.5:1 compression, it comes with the SE585 cam, it re-uses the stock heads with a spring upgrade and the stock throttle body. If you look at the cute little dyno chart HD has in its site, I'd choose the stage III over the Stage V, the Stage III makes quite a bit more bottom end torque vs the Stage V.

IMO a well thought out 110 or even 113 build will make the HD offerings pale in comparison, heck even a good 103 build will kick their ***. I wouldn't waste my money on either of them.

Old 11-16-2015 | 03:12 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by msocko3
Sounds like he needs a good tune, just looked at the kit on HD's site. IMO it's more or less a mild 110, its spec's at 10.2:1 compression, don't know where the shop the OP talked to go its info. It has heads, 58mm throttle body and SE259 cams, the 259 is a pretty mild cam.

The stage III kit is the one with 10.5:1 compression, it comes with the SE585 cam, it re-uses the stock heads with a spring upgrade and the stock throttle body. If you look at the cute little dyno chart HD has in its site, I'd choose the stage III over the Stage V, the Stage III makes quite a bit more bottom end torque vs the Stage V.

IMO a well thought out 110 or even 113 build will make the HD offerings pale in comparison, heck even a good 103 build will kick their ***. I wouldn't waste my money on either of them.
This guy is running the 10:5:1 kit. Sounds like the low end is designed for hard launches at the strip more than traffic lights.....cause I'm sure none of us would get the two confused

I don't disagree that most aftermarket builds will out perform an HD factory offered build, but they don't have the reliability warranty police and EPA over their shoulder. And while I know many of those builds are reliable and have respected companies and builders behind them, some people prefer to work within factory offered mods even if that means they don't max out their HP/TQ gain.

Old 11-16-2015 | 07:52 PM
motolocopat
Road Captain

I'd do just the cylinders/pistons/585 cams. Put a good tuner exhaust on it then take it to a top notch tuner. Should do about 120/115. Ride the **** out of it until warranty is up.

Later if you feel the need for speed a S&S crank and boost it to 124".

If I was going the 110 Stage V I'd just say F-It and have them drop in a 120ST motor which has 1 year warranty. You could then turn around and sell the complete 103" motor and probably come out about the same price wise as the 110 Stg V

Old 11-17-2015 | 06:14 AM
azlou66
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force

A good tune is critical , which will control heat, at higher compression lots of bikes running mid to high 10 on the street. I also run a Jagg 10 row and a Wards fan but I'm in Phoenix and it gets a bit warm here on occasion.

Quick Reply: Which 110" Stage V Tire Shredder Kit for a Street Glide?