Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge, Clock and Odometer

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Wally NC
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge, Clock and Odometer

I've owned two Ultra Classics and found several issues with the Fuel Gauge, Clock and Odometer on both.

Fuel Gauge - NOT accurate. I use my trip meter to remind me to top off the fuel.
Clock - NOT accurate. Constantly loses time. I use my cell phone if I needed to know the correct time.
Odometer - NOT accurate. 5 bikes travel the EXACT same roads from NC to Key West and return and we all have drastically different trip milage.

Anyone else experience similar issues?

Old 11-14-2015, 09:25 PM
OkieRoadWarrior66
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the same experience with the clock. I talked with the moco about it, all they say is they know it's slow, but there's nothing they can do about it. I haven't noticed issues with my fuel gauge or odometer.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:47 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

I know my fuel gauge seems to not be accurate and my clock loses time as well. Don't know about the odometer.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:53 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They all do that...

Old 11-14-2015, 10:14 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally NC
I've owned two Ultra Classics and found several issues with the Fuel Gauge, Clock and Odometer on both.

Fuel Gauge - NOT accurate. I use my trip meter to remind me to top off the fuel.
Clock - NOT accurate. Constantly loses time. I use my cell phone if I needed to know the correct time.
Odometer - NOT accurate. 5 bikes travel the EXACT same roads from NC to Key West and return and we all have drastically different trip milage.

Anyone else experience similar issues?
You forgot to mention the speedometer. It's gonna be off to. That's why your odometer is off

Old 11-15-2015, 02:41 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

fuel gauge- it's a float like your toilet tank...they need to upgrade.
the ECM is smart enough to calculate fuel consumption based on the fuel injection pulse width...lazy programming from HD.

clock- again, lazy programming from the vendor and fie on HD for not demanding a correction. the clock is the easiest thing in the world to program...

odo/ speedo mine are good checked vs gps. some variation based on tire wear but minor..could this be the only instrument subject to regulation?...and therefore it works?

voltmeter- subject to variation depending on layout of the electrical system/ model year.
again HD could do better

summary: our instruments are crap and have been. the seller displays a lack of concern.

these are the things with which the owner interfaces- crap results cast a shadow of doubt over the entire machine.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-15-2015 at 03:12 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:37 AM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

What's a clock?

Old 11-15-2015, 04:29 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustell
They all do that...
As the service tech will tell you.... "It's Normal" Any yet we keep buying them paying more each time....

Old 11-15-2015, 05:27 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

The fuel gauge on a Harley isnt accurate? Never heard that before!!?!?

Old 11-15-2015, 06:14 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

My fuel gauge is close-ish... Although when it's dead on empty, and the range drops below 10 to LOW, I've ridden another 20 miles, and still only put 5.5 gallons in it.

I reckon I'd rather have it that way than showing an eighth of a tank and run out.

Odometer on mine is dead nut to an external GPS.... BECAUSE I calibrated my speedometer with my PV2 to an external GPS.

The clock on mine is fine. I check it from time to time with my cell phone, and it always reads the same.

Really, the only thing I've found to be not accurate, and I can only see it on my PV2, is the Head Temp, it's calculated. Sitting in a 68º garage, it reads 122º.

AAT gauge is also pretty damn close, after I ride 2 or 3 miles. And no, I don't need it to tell me whether or not I need a jacket, I just like having it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge, Clock and Odometer