Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baker Compensator is Installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015 | 06:31 PM
*Road King*
|
Tourer
Default Baker Compensator is Installed!!

I have a 2011 Street Glide. Apparently the 2011 was supposed to have the SE version of the comp???, not sure how to tell really, unless someone can post a pic of a non-SE and an SE version.

19,000 miles and my comp was shot. The material grade of the Harley compensator components is nowhere near the quality of the Baker parts.

The Baker is installed, attitude adjuster installed. My initial report is that the bike starts so much better without the kickback or bang, much smoother starting, there is no slack when letting on and off the throttle and no clanging around when the bike is shut down.
I have the latest version with the oil trowels in the comp sprocket that channels oil into the cam lobe, no glue-in plastic scoop thing that Harley offers. I paid more for the Baker than what I would have paid for the latest SE version (4th or 5th revision), but hope to get more mileage out of it than what others are getting from their SE versions/replacements.

Last edited by *Road King*; 11-13-2015 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Tried to edit the title to correct the spelling of Compensator, but it doesn't work!
Old 11-12-2015 | 06:48 PM
nocarb
Road Master

I am working on installing same set up on my 2010 FLHTK. I had to replace rotor for comp sprocket to work and just got shims for sprocket alignment. The stock rotor has spring pack on so I bought the the one Baker stated in instructions. Sprockets were .040 out, so I ordered shims from McMaster to shim out comp sprocket. May finish tonight.

Old 11-12-2015 | 06:56 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

Yes, your whip (2011) has/had the SE version of the compensator.

SE compensator has 5 disc springs (independent)

The non SE version has the discs attached in a hub on the alternator/rotor.

On an related but unrelated topic. Harley dropped the use of shims on the latest instruction of the SE Compensator installation. They were used to set "pre-load" but ruled as unnecessary (according to boardtracker and then verified by chesters lead tech). Obviously baker still provides the necessity to shim things up (if need be).

Last edited by Eunoterpsia; 11-12-2015 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Edited for clarification
Old 11-12-2015 | 08:43 PM
*Road King*
|
Tourer

The removed comp had the 5 independent discs. So, the way I see it is that the SE comps will not last. I do not ride very aggressively and I do not have a high torque motor. The primary fluid get changed every 5K along with the oil and tranny fluid.

Although mine looked "oiled" and not burnt red some like of the others I have seen, it still had some serious wear.

Old 11-12-2015 | 09:42 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by *Road King*
The removed comp had the 5 independent discs. So, the way I see it is that the SE comps will not last. I do not ride very aggressively and I do not have a high torque motor. The primary fluid get changed every 5K along with the oil and tranny fluid.

Although mine looked "oiled" and not burnt red some like of the others I have seen, it still had some serious wear.
You had the first version of the SE comp that was introduced in 2011. The one with internal oiling issues.
HD updated it again in 2014 to combat some of that. No telling how long those will last. I'm on my second in 9K miles (2014 Limited).

Old 11-13-2015 | 07:09 AM
*Road King*
|
Tourer

on a side note to this thread, I have tried numerous times to edit the title of my thread to correct the spelling of Compensator, but when you save it doesn't make the changes?? No biggie

Old 11-13-2015 | 07:26 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

only the admins can do the (master) title corrections.

I kept the original compensator components and will re-use if necessary... In retrospect, I believe a couple things could have led to my issue... The spring pack on the old style alternator rotor was too weak and the bolt backed out.

Anyways... I do wish you only the best.

Mind sharing what you spent on that baker setup with attitude adjuster?

Old 11-13-2015 | 07:35 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Got one myself installed when they were out here in my neck of the woods this past rally.
Smoother shifting.
Had an issue with the starter clutch and put an all ***** replacement starter clutch in the stock starter which I think was more of an issue than was the comp. It is the weak link. You should replace that as well.
I took into consideration either buying a new comp or an extension on my extended warranty. I opted for the Baker which I consider to be proactive and probably the best deal in the long run.

Old 11-13-2015 | 02:16 PM
*Road King*
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia
only the admins can do the (master) title corrections.

I kept the original compensator components and will re-use if necessary... In retrospect, I believe a couple things could have led to my issue... The spring pack on the old style alternator rotor was too weak and the bolt backed out.

Anyways... I do wish you only the best.

Mind sharing what you spent on that baker setup with attitude adjuster?
$499 for the comp
$199 for the adjuster

Old 11-20-2015 | 05:48 PM
*Road King*
|
Tourer

Baker comp has been removed. Lots of noise from primary. Lots of metal shavings in fluid. I
thought I had purchased latest revision of this comp. apparently they shipped us a "shelf" version knowing it needed an updated spring. I waited 4 weeks for an older version?? That don't make sense!!!
Not going to wait for updated spring. I'll just have to monitor the latest SE version installed and hope Harley or someone else comes up with a better fix.

Maybe eliminating the comp altogether might be a better solution..... Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Baker Compensator is Installed!!