Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baker Compensator is Installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015 | 08:39 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member

Were you able to get any money back from Baker on the new unit that was unsatisfactory?

Old 11-21-2015 | 09:02 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member

I installed mine a couple weeks ago and so far so good after a little over 300 miles. You may already have looked at these things, but this would be what I would check.

1. Alignment of the comp with the clutch. You might need to shim it.
2. The metal webbing on the interior side of the primary cover. The instructions say some models will need to remove the metal with a die grinder for clearance of the comp. My 2009 did not require this, but newer models do. Not sure what year they added that extra material.
3. I hope you didn't pay $499 for it.

I use Dexron transmission fluid in mine. That is what Rivera Primo requires for the clutch.

Old 11-21-2015 | 09:27 AM
*Road King*
|
Tourer

My installer went in 2 times. Clearances met the instructions, within .030 for the alignment and clearance at the front of the primary housing. $499.00.

Old 11-23-2015 | 07:19 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

So is there a problem with the Baker compensates too?

Old 11-23-2015 | 09:09 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
So is there a problem with the Baker compensates too?
What has it been now since Baker released their latest model of the compensator, 8-10 months? I have not heard any reports of how it is doing. Given the price, they may not be selling many units. It will take at least a year or so before anybody knows if it will have any problems. After 20,000 miles or so somebody will tear one down and see what is wearing. Or not.
I guess at this stage the jury is still out on whether or not the Baker unit does what all the others have not been able to do; and that is show significant signs of wear due to lack of lubrication.

Old 11-24-2015 | 10:06 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned

Originally Posted by *Road King*
Baker comp has been removed. Lots of noise from primary. Lots of metal shavings in fluid. I
thought I had purchased latest revision of this comp. apparently they shipped us a "shelf" version knowing it needed an updated spring. I waited 4 weeks for an older version?? That don't make sense!!!
Not going to wait for updated spring. I'll just have to monitor the latest SE version installed and hope Harley or someone else comes up with a better fix.

Maybe eliminating the comp altogether might be a better solution..... Thoughts?
Sorry to hear you got a bad spring pack, they were not all bad but enough of them that we had to change spring manufactures and we are now assembling the cups in house. If you would like to return it for an updated version we will replace it free of charge.

Old 11-24-2015 | 10:09 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned

Originally Posted by not a sock
Sure seems odd that mark@bakerdrivetrain is not here defending the parts
I just seen the thread.

Old 11-24-2015 | 12:59 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by not a sock
Sure seems odd that mark@bakerdrivetrain is not here defending the parts
=====================

GEESH,Give the guy a break!/LOL!!!

It's only been approx 3hrs since the initial thread was posted & i dont think Mark should be expected to monitor HDForums 24/7.

Just say'n.

Happy Motoring.

Scott

Old 11-24-2015 | 01:04 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Sorry to hear you got a bad spring pack, they were not all bad but enough of them that we had to change spring manufactures and we are now assembling the cups in house. If you would like to return it for an updated version we will replace it free of charge.
I had an alignment issue with my chain. A quick call to Baker and they confirmed I needed to slice a little off the back side on the motor extension shaft. About .030 was all that was needed. Good people to talk too and got me going in short order. They offered to do it but I have a lathe and 15 min. So just buttoned everything up last night. Hopefully a test ride Wed. Supposed to be up in the mid 50's. My big mistake was not reading the instructions for the chain adjuster. Had everything done and opened package for the adjuster.... says first thing to do is remove the comp and clutch assembly. Ugg my own fault. So I have installed it twice in about 1/2 hrs time.

Old 11-24-2015 | 01:30 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by *Road King*
I'm not going with the compensaver because I'm thinking this time next year I'll be swapping back out for a Baker again, and they don't work with the Baker.

I guess the next question would be (and I would hate opening up this can of worms), but what type of fluid would be best suited for metal-to-metal wear for the time being?

I currently run Drag Specialties Primary Oil, and have run Mobil 1 in all three holes in previous bikes. They recommend HD Primary Fluid, but isn't that burning up red in previous failed comp issues?
====================

Roiadking,here's what i have been running in prim (specifically formulated for HD prim) since installing the new SE-Comp & Compensaver oiling tray now having 8,400miles on it with great results thus far.

I'd like to run just ATF because its allow clutch plates to release better them std prim oil that heavier visc reducing or stopping the dreaded clunk when shifting ,but other then the clunk trans always shifts easy and neutral is also never a problem to find either.

But i dont fully trust the much lighter viscosity of atf to properly/fully protect the comp & IPB in the long run (60-70-100k+ miles) from the hvy trq load that a 85w visc prim oil can better handle vs very thin atf.

I was thinking of trying a mix of 30/70 mix or 50/50 ratio mix of atf/85w prim oil to thin out the overall visc of the 85w prim oil to see that would significantly reduce and or stop the clunk when shifting.

If that worked my thinking is that maybe that mix of thin atf & hvy 85w prim oil might maintain a higher visc someplace between the what,10w-15w of atf & the 85w of the prim oil i a using to stand up better to the trq & abuse the compensator & IPB etc all take in primary.

Lastly,the motor oil i run in my stock 96" motor (at bottom of this post) maintains significantly better oil pressure hot @ idle & at cruise then m1 v-twin and syn3 20-50 full syn oil ever did in my bike .

Scott

====================================

http://performanceoilstore.com/products.asp?cat=65&pg=4

Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil 1-qt
Spectro Heavy Duty 85w Primary Chaincase Oil 1-qt. This sheer stable petroleum is designed to withstand the punishment of high loads, and contains special polymers to provide exceptional clutch engagement and temperature stability. Meets full OEM requirements, and should be used according to manufacturers’ instructions. Formulated specifically for Harley® Sportster and Big Twin applications. Low drag, low friction loss SAE 85w viscosity helps eliminate clutch “drag” and slipping.

Price: $7.95

http://performanceoilstore.com/products.asp?cat=65&pg=4

Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil 1-qt
Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil 1-qt. Enter quantity of 12 for case discount. Designed by Spectro in response to complaints from Harley owners about the great but noisy new 6-speed transmission, this full synthetic provides ultimate lubrication protection. Formulated to significantly reduce gear noise and provide easier, smoother shifting, this SAE 75w140 formulation eases shifting even when cold. High loads and extreme heat do not affect the oil, so it performs well when pushed hard and long. A.P.I. GL-5 rated
List Price: $19.60
Price: $15.85

http://www.spectroshop.com/heavy-dut...0/prod_24.html

Product Information
Heavy Duty Golden Semi-Synthetic
Heavy Duty Golden 20W-50 Semi-Synthetic is the ultimate Semi-synthetic blended engine lubricant designed specifically for use in Harley® V-Twin engines. Our proprietary combination of world class Group IV synthetic lubricants, superior base stocks and advanced anti-wear additives provides lower consumption rates, extends component life, reduces wear. A.P.I. SF/SG – CD/CG - 4.

Price: $12.75

Last edited by wscott; 11-24-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Baker Compensator is Installed!!