Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baker Compensator is Installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015 | 05:57 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain

Baker comp has been removed. Lots of noise from primary. Lots of metal shavings in fluid.

Dont like the sound of that. I just have mine tore down now installing the Baker unit. I too needed the new style Rotor. Waiting until tomorrow as the dealer has a 20% sale going on. Was hoping things don't need shimmed as that will be more down time. Not that the weather is going to let me ride much, but it is taking up room on the lift and I have other projects! LOL Oh and my stock comp. looked surprisingly good. Very little wear at all. Now it did make noise and bang loud on start up. Not to mention stutter taking off from a stop.I figured with the FM 107 things were just going to get worse. I did bend one of the retaining dents out and removed the springs from the stock rotor. The spring had spun so much in there that it wore a grove in the cup.

Last edited by Flintshooter54; 11-20-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2015 | 06:20 PM
*Road King*
|
Tourer

I'm sure by the time my comp needs replacing again (10-15k) we'll see if Baker has it nailed down. I don't mind spending the extra cash for the best, but hate being a Guinea Pig. I've already been doing that for Harley for the last 20 years!

Old 11-20-2015 | 07:13 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

I'm bummed out to hear the Baker didn't work right for you, and surprised.

Old 11-20-2015 | 07:35 PM
*Road King*
|
Tourer

What I'm bummed about is they knew they needed an updated spring and I waited 4 weeks for them to ship me the unit and they still shipped it to me with a BUM spring. Glad I only run limited amount of miles while it was in there, who knows what else I would have had to replace.

I will add, the quality of the baker part compared to Harley's lump of smashed meat crap is not even close, and what kills me is we all know my SE comp is only a temporary fix. So....like I said, hopefully by the time I need to replace again, which is 100% going to happen, Baker will have a "finished" product "readily" ready to ship.

Old 11-20-2015 | 09:02 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by *Road King*
What I'm bummed about is they knew they needed an updated spring and I waited 4 weeks for them to ship me the unit and they still shipped it to me with a BUM spring. Glad I only run limited amount of miles while it was in there, who knows what else I would have had to replace.

I will add, the quality of the baker part compared to Harley's lump of smashed meat crap is not even close, and what kills me is we all know my SE comp is only a temporary fix. So....like I said, hopefully by the time I need to replace again, which is 100% going to happen, Baker will have a "finished" product "readily" ready to ship.
===============

I had the same thought when the comp went ad on my 09 with 9,700 miles on it 4/2015 when Bakers was backed up with orders they couldn't fill yet.

But i am with you that it didnt bother me going with Se comp (along with GMR's compensaver at the same time too) for now to give Baker time to work out any bugs (if any) in their new comp.

So if/when my SE comp go's belly up then i will buy & install Bakers new comp.

Scott

Old 11-20-2015 | 09:20 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member

Sure seems odd that mark@bakerdrivetrain is not here defending the parts

Old 11-21-2015 | 07:07 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

The material grade of the Harley compensator components is nowhere near the quality of the Baker parts.
Baker comp has been removed. Lots of noise from primary. Lots of metal shavings in fluid...
Did you get 19k out of that Baker?

...the way I see it is that the SE comps will not last.
I had a 2011, a very early 2011, purchased 8/28/2010. put 30,000 miles on, and I lived in the Heart of Appalachia on the KY/VA border. I rode it hard, through the mountains... never had an issue.

My point is, because yours failed, doesn't mean they all will.
I have respect for Baker as well, I believe they make a better product...

...but obviously you lost the draw on that one as well.

Old 11-21-2015 | 08:24 AM
*Road King*
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by wscott
===============

I had the same thought when the comp went ad on my 09 with 9,700 miles on it 4/2015 when Bakers was backed up with orders they couldn't fill yet.

But i am with you that it didnt bother me going with Se comp (along with GMR's compensaver at the same time too) for now to give Baker time to work out any bugs (if any) in their new comp.

So if/when my SE comp go's belly up then i will buy & install Bakers new comp.

Scott
I'm not going with the compensaver because I'm thinking this time next year I'll be swapping back out for a Baker again, and they don't work with the Baker.

I guess the next question would be (and I would hate opening up this can of worms), but what type of fluid would be best suited for metal-to-metal wear for the time being?

I currently run Drag Specialties Primary Oil, and have run Mobil 1 in all three holes in previous bikes. They recommend HD Primary Fluid, but isn't that burning up red in previous failed comp issues?

Last edited by *Road King*; 11-21-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2015 | 08:26 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Old 11-21-2015 | 08:34 AM
*Road King*
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Did you get 19k out of that Baker?
Not quite, but was not going to run it not knowing the consequences, or pull it and wait another 4-6 weeks on a replacement part.

All good, no ill feelings, it is was it is at this point. The Baker will be going back in at some point, and I probably won't even wait until the SE fails.

Quick Reply: Baker Compensator is Installed!!