Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor stumbles!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:58 PM
son7771
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor stumbles!?

I have a 2001 electra glide EFI PC3 SE breather Rinehart true duals. I noticed that the motor seemed to stumble (miss) when held at a constant throttle. I dont remember when it started but I filled up at a gas station last week and the next day the engine died twice at highway speed but refired when i pulled over. I changed plugs and cleaned the k&n filter and then reoiled to no avail! I did a search and have not really found the same problem so any help would be great I put 100 miles on saturday and it didnt shut down but still stumbled I also tried some amsoil cleaner in the tank but it still stumbles at any rpm it seems. I didnt run the tank dry with the cleaner yet and add new fuel yet.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:00 AM
kdietz
Road Captain
Default RE: Motor stumbles!?

try some gas treatment....could be bad gas.....run out the tank and buy new gas before making other changes

Old 05-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: son7771

I have a 2001 electra glide EFI PC3 SE breather Rinehart true duals. I noticed that the motor seemed to stumble (miss) when held at a constant throttle. I dont remember when it started but I filled up at a gas station last week and the next day the engine died twice at highway speed but refired when i pulled over. I changed plugs and cleaned the k&n filter and then reoiled to no avail! I did a search and have not really found the same problem so any help would be great
There's a lot of bad gas out there including some polluted with water. Try some good isopropyl gasline antifreeze - that'll make any water in your tank soluble in the gasoline and it'll burn right along with the gasoline. Be careful NOT to use methanol based gasline antifreeze.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:19 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Son, I think you and I are having the same problems, only mine happens between 2200 to 2800 rpm under light load. If I'm accelerating under load it doesn't do it. Mine is more of a cough, but could be a miss, similar result -- skips when running and sound like a muffled backfire. I've tried different gas, additives, etc. Lately have been trying different maps and richening up the rear cylinder, but so far no progress. I'm planning to have my bike dynoed later this week, but don't know if that will help or not. Someone else on this forum has said they had a bad valve seal that caused the problem, but since mine only does it under specific conditions, I'm not sure that's it.

Anyway, I'll let you know if the dyno helps tune it out. You and I both have the MM EFI with similar configurations.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:55 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add mine to the list.
2001 EG EFI
Same issue as Taterdog.
Let us know what you find out.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

You know, mine didn't do this when it was stock, i.e. before I changed my exhaust, a/c, and added the PCIII. Just don't believe it's a valve seal problem. Has to be something with setup of the PCIII or map. Plus, it runs great other than having this specific problem.

Reckon it has anything to do with the accelerator pump feature on the PCIII? I don't even know what that does or if it's active on mine, but have heard others talk about it. If I haven't heard anything by Friday I'll ask the tech when I have my bike dyno'd.

If anyone out there has been down this road, please let us know. I'm good for a case of your favorite beer if you can solve this problem! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-07-2007, 09:41 PM
son7771
Cruiser

I will be changing out th efuel filter tommorow and then i will give Jamie a call and ask when I can have my bike dynoed as he is up the road! I got some new gas today and it still does it so mabey the next thing is to put everything back to stock and see if it still does it!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taterdog, jbhawley My 99 Road Glide spits, sputters, coughs when it's cold like yours, butonce it'swarmed up it's fine. It's had this problem since I bought it last year and still can't find the problem. Mine acts like it's a timing/electrical issue (2 plug wires crossed)like from my motor head days. I'm thinking maybe coil or bad MAP sensor but not sure why it goes away once it warms up some, about 5 min of riding. Head mech at Harley shop said maybe FI intake rubber boot. It's driving me Nucking Futts.[:@]

Old 05-08-2007, 02:09 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Bryan1724

Taterdog, jbhawley My 99 Road Glide spits, sputters, coughs when it's cold like yours, but once it's warmed up it's fine. It's had this problem since I bought it last year and still can't find the problem. Mine acts like it's a timing/electrical issue (2 plug wires crossed) like from my motor head days. I'm thinking maybe coil or bad MAP sensor but not sure why it goes away once it warms up some, about 5 min of riding. Head mech at Harley shop said maybe FI intake rubber boot. It's driving me Nucking Futts.[:@]
Bryan, odd thing is that mine DOESN'T do it when it's cold -- runs great. It's when it warms up that it starts the missing/coughing. Wish I had your problem. I could probably live with it for 5 minutes a ride, but mine's just the opposite. When I'm on the highway it really isn't a factor, though, since I'm running at higher rpm and/or greater throttle position. It's when I come back home and riding "moderately" through the neighborhoods that I get it the most.

Let us know what you find, though. No telling how these things are related.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:13 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: son7771

I will be changing out th efuel filter tommorow and then i will give Jamie a call and ask when I can have my bike dynoed as he is up the road! I got some new gas today and it still does it so mabey the next thing is to put everything back to stock and see if it still does it!
Son, let me know if Jamie can fix your problem. I'm interested to find out if it has something to do with the rear cylinder mapping. It would be great if you could share your map when your done. I will do the same after getting mine dyno'd this Friday (unless the rain doesn't stop -- don't mind riding in the rain, well maybe I do, but lately it hasn't been just rain, it's been a flood and I don't want to tempt fate for a 40 mile ride one way).

Quick Reply: Motor stumbles!?