Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor stumbles!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:52 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Motor stumbles!?

I'm also going to add the work I did to my ride since getting it one year ago today. I put inS&S 510 G's, newlifters, and push rods, V&H TD's and Rush 1.75'sand of course the first thing I tried was new plugs, and still have the same problem. I did get a PCIII from Jamie but never put it on yet, trying to get the cold run problem worked out first. Head HD wrench said it sounds like it's sucking air while cold but once it warms up whatever is split or not sealing right expands and the gap closes once warm and the problem goes away. Yeah that makes sense to me but trying to find the problem is a huge PITA.
EDIT: Also when my bike is hot it starts hard, i.e. i have to open the throttle to get it to fire up, which is not typical of a FI motor. [:'(]

Old 05-08-2007, 03:09 AM
son7771
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bryan are you saying you dont have any PC or sert hooked up to it now? If you dont that may be your problem because you would be running way lean?

Old 05-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: son7771

Bryan are you saying you don't have any PC or sert hooked up to it now? If you don't that may be your problem because you would be running way lean?
Plugs look nice. Thing is it doesn't do it all the time, maybe 75-80% but sometimes i fire it up and the problem never rears it ugly head. Bike had the SE download and SE 203 camswhen i bought it last year, so I don't think that's the problem. If it was a lean condition, I wouldguess that it would do it all the time instead of just when it's cold, but hell I've been wrong before. Remember back in the day when we had them there hand choke things, and you forgot to pull it out and tried to drive? Yeah, kinda like that. Buck, cough, spit, pop!! Once hot it runs super. [&:]

Old 05-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, I don't remember which it was, the PCIII or Rinehart TD's or Ness Big Sucker, but the instructions on one of them said you might have to readjust the idle speed after installation. Wonder if that needs to be done withyours? Sounds like the equivalent of choke on FI isn't working right, and I guess that would be the idle speed.

Any one out there know???

Old 05-09-2007, 01:33 AM
son7771
Cruiser

Talked to jamie today and he suggested I hook up the pcIII to the computer and do a throttle reset. I did and it was way off but I am unable to test drive it tonight though!! I also changed the fuel filter and all the hoses as the pressure side had a hole in it!! But that didnt seem to help so mabey tommorow I will take the timing cover off one more time to check the timming marks and make sure i didnt screw something in there when i did the cam tensioner change. If I cant get it to work tommorow i will take out the pc3 and the true duals but i cant do the air cleaner as i threw out the backing plate. will it run way to lean if i use the se air filter? I just want to test to see what my problem is and if it is in the pc3 setup. Thanks

Old 05-09-2007, 01:41 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: son7771

Talked to jamie today and he suggested I hook up the pcIII to the computer and do a throttle reset. I did and it was way off but I am unable to test drive it tonight though!! I also changed the fuel filter and all the hoses as the pressure side had a hole in it!! But that didnt seem to help so mabey tommorow I will take the timing cover off one more time to check the timming marks and make sure i didnt screw something in there when i did the cam tensioner change. If I cant get it to work tommorow i will take out the pc3 and the true duals but i cant do the air cleaner as i threw out the backing plate. will it run way to lean if i use the se air filter? I just want to test to see what my problem is and if it is in the pc3 setup. Thanks
I've reset my throttle several times but it didn't help. Did Jamie recommend anything else to try?

Old 05-09-2007, 01:55 AM
son7771
Cruiser

no i made a apointment to have it dynoed on june 5th he is prety booked up!

Old 05-09-2007, 02:50 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

You know, I don't remember which it was, the PCIII or Rinehart TD's or Ness Big Sucker, but the instructions on one of them said you might have to readjust the idle speed after installation. Wonder if that needs to be done withyours? Sounds like the equivalent of choke on FI isn't working right, and I guess that would be the idle speed.

Any one out there know???

You might be on to something there. While sometimes it acts like the FI choke (which i knowI don't have one)is not on, while other times it reeks of fuel like it's getting too much and shuts off when i come to a stop. I have to crank it over, and over again with the throttle open to get it to fire. Just likeit's flooded Weird! Maybe the throttle position sensor. [&:]

Old 05-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member

Bryan, I think that sounds more likely than anything else. I'd sure check it out. You might try posting on the FI tech forum to see what others think there.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:21 PM
son7771
Cruiser

Well I did the throtle reset and also put the button reset to put all setting to default and i think it helped!!!! It didnt do the stumble at 3000 rpm like it did before but I have not taken it out for a long putt yet but it is better then before!! I may try to play around with the trim feature as the rear cylinder seemed to the source. I dont really know if the button reset did it or the throttle reset did but try both. Also if you have the pcIII usb there is a update to the software and it was the only way i could get mine to work but it has some added features over the box software. Bryan if you set the idle you must disconnect the battery to alow the pcm to reset the value.

Quick Reply: Motor stumbles!?