Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Street Glide won't go over 4,000 rpm's

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:38 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Fuel was NOT OK. This should have been road tested with a gauge hooked up and it would have been obvious what the issue was. Somebody didn't do their job!

This is why I do everything myself...

OP, glad it's done, and you can enjoy the 3 days of riding weather we've still got left : )

Old 11-16-2015, 08:24 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,603 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennynick
Okay everyone. The verdict is finally in. Fuel filter was bad. Understand I am not a mechanic and took this bike to local harley dealer and others and not one person said filter. My riding buddy suggested I put the issue on here and said I would find some great answers and suggestion. It just goes to prove what kind of community HD Forums really is and I cannot thank you all enough.
Glad you got it fixed! Happy to help...

Old 11-16-2015, 10:06 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

ThiS has been an interesting read and learning experence. 6 pages / 52 posts and looking back - JAXDWG nailed it in post #2
During a service on my 04 - forget which one? - filter was to be changed - when i learned where HD put the filter - i wanted to find that engineer amd spank them, LOL - they had to be rhe same designers that bult the Jets I worked on while in tne US Navy back in 68 - lol
I now have a 2015 - can i assume Filter is still IN the same spot?

Glad the OP got ot fixed - Congrats to Jaxdwg

Old 11-16-2015, 05:51 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

why not a in line fuel filter. im sure an engineer can design one for a fuel injected bike. the set up on the Harleys is horrible. this is something that should be quick and easy access. dont get it.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:31 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,007 Likes on 4,197 Posts

If you look at the original FI system, there were two hoses going to the tank. Harley monerized and compacted it for the best. This enabled them to compact all in the tank. The filter is first and the pump remains small since it is cooled by fuel and there is no suction head.
It's no big deal to get to.

The system normally runs all the time when the gas motor runs maintaining apx 65 lbs pressure by the bleed off in the tank. This does the idle along with WOT operation.
Normally, as the filter stops up which is quite rare unless some dumps a lot of additives or trash in tank, the pressure check will show a problem. However, there is no way to check just how much surplus is bleeding off. If the 65 gets low at idle, bike will not idle. OP's had 65 so it idled. However, at WOT, it had no surplus and was running out of fuel. He did not say but I bet if they did not flush tank, there is a lot of stuff in bottom. The call out for the fuel filter now is 100K. However, it use to be a 1/3 of that but was not normally necessary and will not disable a bike.

Up at post 2 when fuel pressure was checked, you would have though if the throttle was opened, it would have dipped the pressure if it was checked correctly.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-16-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:54 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Nothing had been changed and it slowly started to happen. Things were only changed to try and repair the issue. We are doing fuel filter in the morning.
When you stated that the problem came on slowly, you did diagnose the problem, you just didn't know it. Whenever I get on the freeway I open that throttle and let her wind up in 3rd. If she pulls good, my filter is good. If not, it's time to change it. I don't go by miles because I could pick up funky gas at any time and have a clogging problem. I keep a spare on the shelf, just in case. Glad you're smiling again.
Ps: I try to buy my gas at high volume gas stations because they are constantly getting fresh, clean gas-- hopefully. Mom & pop places often go weeks without a fresh load, and often have a lot of sediment in their tanks.

Last edited by jaxdwg; 11-16-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:20 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Okay everyone. The verdict is finally in. Fuel filter was bad. Understand I am not a mechanic and took this bike to local harley dealer and others and not one person said filter. My riding buddy suggested I put the issue on here and said I would find some great answers and suggestion. It just goes to prove what kind of community HD Forums really is and I cannot thank you all enough.
=================

Approx how many miles were on the fuel filter when the motor 1st started acting up ?

Scott

Old 11-16-2015, 09:27 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
I had a 2002 FLHTCUI with 115.000 miles that had a similar problem when returning from Sturgis years ago. It would just flatten out about 4000 RPM in any gear. Stopped at a dealer in Iowa and they said that they checked the fuel pump pressure and compression and all was good. Then they told me I had worn out cams and to ride the hell out of it until it broke because I had the extended service plan. Rode it back home (1500 miles) and took it to my dealer. When the tech checked the fuel pressure it was good at an idle but it dropped off when he took it down the road. He replaced the fuel pump and the bike ran like new. Just my experience. I still wonder if some of the gas I bought along the way contributed to the problem.
And I would almost bet you didn't need the pump, just the filter, because the first dealer you went to said the pressure was fine, but didn't check it on the run. If a pump will meet required pressure, it will almost always put out the volume if no restriction exists. Jmo

Old 11-16-2015, 09:52 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Jwxdwg, I appreciate it and will try that tonight. I know it's not in limp mode because I changed the ECM as well as the throttle body. I'm trying the dielectric grease now and if that doesn't work I will look at fuel filter. Appreciate the advice and will keep you all posted.
At the risk of going against the grain here I would like to see you skip the dielectric grease on the contacts. It is really not made for that sort of application because it will attract dust and grime etc. I know there are people who use it for that sort of thing but the manufacturer says otherwise. Maybe a little contact cleaner sprayed into the area followed by a stiff paint brush or toothbrush if you feel the need to do something. The most common proper usage for dielectric grease is using it on spark plug boots.

I think the fuel filter has to be checked before you go much further.

Last edited by Retrop; 11-16-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:31 PM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
What about spark plug wires / plugs. Electricity takes the least path of resistance. If at higher RPM's the wires are not able to flow the electricity, they will find some other path to chassis. Also look at the plugs closely. Where the insulator joins the metal, see if there are any signs the seal isn't leaking blowby past the insulator.
Electricity takes every path not the one of least resistance.

Quick Reply: 2010 Street Glide won't go over 4,000 rpm's