Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Street Glide won't go over 4,000 rpm's

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 04:43 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennynick
Jwxdwg, I appreciate it and will try that tonight. I know it's not in limp mode because I changed the ECM as well as the throttle body. I'm trying the dielectric grease now and if that doesn't work I will look at fuel filter. Appreciate the advice and will keep you all posted.
I used to check the fuel filter on my truck by flooring it and letting it wind out through the gears. If it pulled throughout the rpm range, I knew it was fine. If it would only pull hard up to about 2/3-3/4 rpm then quit pulling hard, I knew it was time to change the filter. Just because you have good pressure does not mean you have enough volume to feed the engine at hard throttle and higher rpms. Good luck and thanks, ahead of time, for letting the rest of us know the outcome.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:54 PM
cfreeze
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If it feels like the motors labouring, won't rev up or slow to come up in revs. You may have a sumping problem.
Check to see how much oil is left in the crank case (2 to 6 oz is ok )

Old 11-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Kennynick
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not that I'm a racer either but when you want throttle response and there is none there it gets frustrating. Even when the bike is in nuteral and you grab every bit of throttle it only goes to 4K. A stock ECM should go to around 5,700. Understand the bike is very slow and won't rev up. When getting into traffic on a highway you would like to get up to speed. Mine doesn't. But it still runs well even on the interstate. Just looking for advice on what might be wrong. It would be nice to be able to accelerate when need be. It's like riding a Vespa moped. Lol

Old 11-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Kennynick
Intermediate

Tried applying dielectric grease on plugs and rode tonight with no change. Will check filter tomorrow and keep all posted. If that doesn't work will follow up with crank case oil check. It's gotta be something simple that I'm missing because the bike rides fine at cruising speeds. Just no acceleration or much throttle response. Thanks for the input

Old 11-11-2015, 08:27 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Have you checked for DTC's?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Kennynick
Intermediate

There are no codes and the check engine light is not on

Old 11-12-2015, 12:02 AM
yzernie
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Grasping at straws here....do you us fuel from the same gas station all the time?....different stations?...name brands or mom & pop stops?

I had a diesel tractor that would run fine from idle to the 50% rpm mark. Past the 50% rpm mark it would lack power, would not accelerate and sputtered a little bit. Eventually figured out it was a plugged up fuel filter. Two different beasts but very similar symptoms.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:55 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cfreeze
If it feels like the motors labouring, won't rev up or slow to come up in revs. You may have a sumping problem.
Check to see how much oil is left in the crank case (2 to 6 oz is ok )
I have to agree with you.When this happens it is usually the o ring behind the oil pump.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:35 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,007 Likes on 4,197 Posts

I assume you are referring to the lower gears and the tac is correct.? If it was fuel filter, idle would probably be a problem since it also needs full pressure to idle correct. When you come off throttle to idle, is all OK? Could be the sock is gone off end of fuel pick up.. It sucks up hunks of it at speed and it falls off when you shut it down. Too much additives melt the sock and also the screen on carb models. Harleys run with a lot more then 6 oz in the sump and cam area. You can check level at a fast idle crudely. The small amount running in the sump (about 1 1/2" depth) is what lubes the inner cam bearings. (it's more like 20 oz and about 1/4 of the distance on the dip stick between low and full)

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:18 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Whoa...I'm not mechanically inclined, but riding from my experience. Always ride under 3000 RPM's at all times unless I mash the throttle.

Guess your bike's experiencing some kind of engine trouble. Wishing you the best of luck in getting repaired and riding to the fullest extent of your satisfication.

Thorey

Quick Reply: 2010 Street Glide won't go over 4,000 rpm's