Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing a 3.37 primary gearing setup, DO NOT hesitate! Do it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:45 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing a 3.37 primary gearing setup, DO NOT hesitate! Do it!

I wanted to report back about the 3.37 primary gear setup upgrade.

It has been said that the RPM on the highway would go up by about 200/300 RPM @ 70 MPH. After the install, 70 MPH I have about 3050 RPM (just under 3100).

At first, I really didn't notice a big change in 1st or 2nd gear. But the acceleration was better. Now after logging in some miles, I found that the gearing had other benefits as well.

1 - You are able to cruise at a lower RPM without chugging or lugging the motor. In stock form, I always wanted to stay above 2000 RPM because anything less than that made no power or the bike shook more. NOW, I can cruise at 1500 or just above that in RPM without lugging the motor. It doesn't seem like it makes sense, but since the bike doesn't have to work hard to come upin RPM or maintain RPM, the motor doesn't shake. I can cruise 30 MPH in 5th on somewhat level surface. The best part is I really don't need to downshift to accelerate either!!!!!

2 - Gas mileage has increased! Again, this sounds like it wouldn't make sense because a higher RPM at speed makes you think you would eat up more gas. But reality is that I can go up one gear and lower my RPM's in the lower speed limit sections. I am now at a 1/2 tank and put on 127 miles. As a comparison, I filled my wife’s deluxe and my bike together, and she is not at 1/4 of a tank. And we rode together all day.In stock form,I would be just under 1/4 tank and she would be just about or above 1/4 of a tank.

3 - Less shifting - again, my wife rode with me today on her Deluxe and when we came to a larger hill, she would sometimes down shift because her bike was lugging. I was fine by twisting the grip - no down shift needed!

4 - Better cruising speed/gear choice - In stock form, I had issues with 45 MPH and 35 MPH zones. It seems at 45 MPH that 4th gear was too high in RPM, and 5th made the motor work hard.

Sorry to rant. But if you were not sure about doing it, don’t hesitate! It was one of the best mods I’ve done!

- Denis

Old 05-06-2007, 08:33 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Doing a 3.37 primary gearing setup, DO NOT hesitate! Do it!

What year did they change the gearing.......2003?

What's the total cost to do the swap? How long did it take you?

Steve

Old 05-06-2007, 08:39 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My bike has 3:37 stock. I love it. If I bought a newer bike with 3:15, swapping to 3:37 would be one of the first mods I would do.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:00 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

What year did they change the gearing.......2003?

What's the total cost to do the swap? How long did it take you?

Steve
Steve:

Not sure what year they changed over, I think it was '03.

I ordered the parts from Zannotti's and it was just under $400. It took about 3 hours if you take your time, including reading the manual. Very easy to do!

Old 05-06-2007, 09:54 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

In case anyone needs the info:
The clutch basket part # is 37846-99A 37 tooth. The motor sprocket is #40269-85A 24 tooth.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:17 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I thought it wasn't worth it if you do a lot of highway riding because you'd rev too high?

Old 05-06-2007, 10:23 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: dawg

I thought it wasn't worth it if you do a lot of highway riding because you'd rev too high?
I never really noticed a difference. Like I said, 70 MPH at 3050 RPM. Check what your ride at now @ 70 MPH. Then bring it up to 3100 RPM, see if you think the RPM scares you. I didn't think it was bad at all.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:23 PM
floridian46
Tourer

i did it on my 01 dyna and it was a good bang for the buck...now, if it could be done to the 07s, i would jump on it...i hope the parts will soon be available...

Old 05-06-2007, 10:25 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,733 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Not at all, the rpm difference is very minor; however you can feel the difference. A worth while change. For anyone doing it add the automatic primary chain tensioner at same time and p.s. you could swap in the chrome inner primary for no additional labor cost when doing swap.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:27 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jeepster09

Not at all, the rpm difference is very minor; however you can feel the difference. A worth while change. For anyone doing it add the automatic primary chain tensioner at same time and p.s. you could swap in the chrome inner primary for no additional labor cost when doing swap.
Now you made it a $600+ job!!

Quick Reply: Doing a 3.37 primary gearing setup, DO NOT hesitate! Do it!