Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handheld CB Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:50 PM
fattizzi
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handheld CB Radio

I would like to be able to communicate and/or listen to my other friends on my Road King. I wear a half helmet and would like something small and easy to use.

Can anyone point me to a Push To Talk (PTT) that will work with either Cobra or Midland 40 Channel CB Radio and will fit inside a half helmet, like a earphone jack. Similar to a cell phone wired headset and mic.

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:58 PM
websterdan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Handheld CB Radio

Try these: The second one is the radio, which is now cheaper through Wal Mart
http://www.radiogadgets.com/motorcycle-headset.html

http://www.radiogadgets.com/75822.html

Old 05-06-2007, 08:54 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

I bought me a Cobra handheld and a PTT mike, can't remember where.. I wasted my $$$. Wasn't worth a flip. Just my 2 cents worth.

Hack

Old 05-06-2007, 09:01 PM
fattizzi
Intermediate

Do you use something now?

Old 05-06-2007, 09:03 PM
bluesgub
Cruiser

I bought a Chatterbox CB that I set up to plug into the cigarette lighter on my Streetglide and use it as a portable for my Sportster. Comes with a battery case so I can slide it into my shirt or jacket pocket. I use the 10" antenna that came with it. Transmission and reception are good within 1/4 mile, fuzzy at about 1/2 mile. Headphones you might have to modify for a half-helmet. I use a full-face or 3/4 helmet and can hear fine.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:22 PM
brandy
Intermediate

The Midland 75-822 is a great handheld CB! Got mine at Walmart for $80 or so a few months ago. Haven't given it a good test drive yet, so can't comment on the range or sound quality. As for the headset, I purchased the MotoCom setup as Websterdan suggested, but found the PTT switch to take up too much of the grip. Cables weren't the right length for the setup I wanted either. The headset that I replaced that with is the FireFox Technologies Motorsports Edition Vanquish Throat Mic set. http://firefoxtechnologies.zoovy.com/product/FF-V# I liked the idea of a throat mic because I could change from a full face to 3/4 hemlet and not have to fuss with a boom mic and as a plus... the ear buds are comfortable. Also the PTT switch is very low profile and works better for me than the MotoCom. To get power to the CB I put an SAE to cigarette adapter on the battery tender pigtail. I'm fortunate enough to have a very good friend who made the adapter cable for me. After many weeks of research I think I've purchased the best combination for me.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:44 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Nope, fatizzi, I don't. Can't find anything that has tempted me to try again. I could pick up other CBs up, if they were close to me. And anyway, doing 65 PMH, I couldn't hear squat. Wish I could have been more positive.

Shoot, if you lived near me, Columbus, Ga, you could have give my CB stuff a try.

Hack